Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you choose your quilting thread color for handquilting? >

How do you choose your quilting thread color for handquilting?

How do you choose your quilting thread color for handquilting?

Old 03-10-2015, 02:16 PM

Default How do you choose your quilting thread color for handquilting?

So the other day I was watching the quilt show with Jinny Beyer, when she was hand piecing she used dark thread to match the color of her fabric.I have always used white hand quilting thread to piece or to with if I'm doing it by hand. But after watching the show about her I feel like I should add more thread to my Hand Quilting collection. But I know when I have been reading other blogs or seen hand quilting videos they say if you want your stitches to be seen well that you use "White"! The thing is the back of quilts are white on back so if I used other colors to quilt with it would show up dramatically. What are your suggestions?
Old 03-10-2015, 02:46 PM

I have no suggestion, but as a novice hand quilter I prefer the color to blend as well as possible w/the back because I have not gotten good enough that the back looks as nice as the front. I am hand quilting a quilt for my youngest son and the front is black, white and yellow, and the back is black...I was not sure what color to use, so I went w/grey, which does shows up on the front and back so I just don't look at the back because it depresses me . I guess I say all that to say when it comes to the quilting part one has to ask them self if they want the quilting or the pattern to stand out the most and choose from there.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

I actually love my stitches to show on both sides. If I am taking the time to hand quilt, I want them noticed. Having said that, if you really want them not to show, there are so many wonderful backing fabrics to pick from that should be able to match the colors on the front.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:26 AM

I use various colors of hand quilting thread all the time. I just finished a baby (boy) quilt and used a combination of red and blue thread - separate colors in different blocks. I wanted a bit of variety. Intentionally, some of the quilting is obvious and some not so much. The backing on this quilt is a crazy, all over design to coordinate with the front. The stitching is not as noticeable on the back but I'm good with that.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:06 AM

I match my hand-piecing thread to my fabric. For hand quilting, I plan for how I want my top to look, and don't worry about the back. If I don't want to distract from the piecing design, I'll match my thread to each top color. Otherwise I'll choose the light neutral that seems to go best with all of the top colors.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
if you really want them not to show, there are so many wonderful backing fabrics to pick from that should be able to match the colors on the front.
I agree. There are no rules that say you have to use a white backing. In fact, with boys and pets, I try to avoid white at all times.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

I am going to start doing some of the big stitches. I will probably use black thread so that it shows. It is what ever YOU feel will add to the beauty of the quilt.