Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How to compare machines

How to compare machines

Hi all,
    I need to replace a piecing machine.
    It was a Pfaff but I have been drooling over Bernina machines for years.
    I am looking at the Bernina 780 or the 750QE
    I like the option of an embroidery unit.
    Please let me know your likes and dislikes.
    Thank you
    Kirsten
    I try and be as good of a human as my dogs think I am.

Blog Entries
    Check out machine reviews at https://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi...eviews.pl?tf=m Pattern Review.

Are you planning to go to Sew Expo in Puyallup this year? It is a great place to try out lots of different machines.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

I have a 790 Bernina and I just love it ...cant work out why I waited so long to buy such a wonderful Machine .

Blog Entries
    I would visit a dealer and try out both, then decide which one I like best.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I have all Bernina's in my sewing room... a 550, a 1530, a serger and an embroidery machine. Embroidery is a function I did not want on my sewing machine, so it remains a separate machine from my sewing machine. Do watch for one that sews sideways, as my older ones do not if you want to quilt as you sew.

Choose a dealer that is close by, so you don't have to go far for service or lessons on the machine. Hope this helps.

I'e had my Bernina since 2002 and I love that machine! It's never had to be repaired and I use it a lot.
    I really don't think you can go wrong with a Bernina.

Definitely test the machines. The 7 series is a powerhouse, but you should feel comfortable with it, especially if it operates differently from what you are used to.
    I’m a committed Bernina user, with 4 machines, and the 7 series is great, but it’s really about you and if you feel comfortable changing to a big computerized machine.

kareno,
    Bernina Q20, 830, 440, and L460

I only use one of two straight stitch only machines.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Do you like piecing on a 9mm machine? Both the 750 and 780 have 9mm max stitch width with dual feed. My Bernina 820 is 9mm with dual feed, and it's excellent at piecing long strips and most pieces, but when the pieces get smaller, I prefer a 5.5mm Bernina. Not everyone minds the 9mm for piecing, but some do.

The 3 series, (older) 430, 440, 630, and newer 530, 550, 570*, 720 and 535 have 5.5mm max stitch width. So the feed dogs are closer together and presser feet are more narrow. The older 435/450, 640, 730, 560, 580, (newer) 710, 740, 750, 780, 790, 820, 830, and 880 plus the very new 570* and 590 have the 9mm width.

Confusingly, there's a not-that-old 570 with 5.5mm stitch width, and a very new 570 with 9mm stitch width, dual feed, and hover.

The 7 series are fairly large and heavy, probably not the ideal choice for classes.

Just stuff to think about...good luck shopping!
    Warmly, Maia

They don't make the 750 and 780 any more. The new models are the 740 and 790. If I could afford it, I'd get the 790. It does sew sideways. The giant bobbin is awesome, and the built-in dual feed is a great addition. And you can get the Jumbo hoop to do really big embroidery.
    Annette in Utah

I bought a 740 in November after considering it for a while and I love it. Not sure why I waited so long. I have a 22 year old Bernina 1260 that still runs like it's brand new and had a 440 that I traded in on the 740. I have several nice vintage machines I use, and a TOL Janome that's great but nothing, nothing sews like a Bernina.
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Tothill is correct about the Sew Expo in Puyallup. It’s a great place to go see what’s new and try out machines. I looked it up on the internet and it’s March 1-4, 2018. Tickets can be purchased for one day or more. There are classes and displays that are hard to find all in one spot. Sure wish I still lived in that area. It’s one of the best Expos! Good luck in your quest for a new machine.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Maia B brought up an excellent point. Working on a 9mm machine is a different experience compared to a 5mm machine. I have both and prefer to piece on the smaller machine. I use my big machine for many things and like it a lot, but I love piecing on a smaller straight stitch machine. Be sure to try out that big machine before taking the plunge if you are planning to piece on it.
    "The great doing of little things makes the great life." Eugena Price

It's always good to hear reviews from those who used these machines regularly. You might also consider a web search by typing "compare sewing machines". You will be surprised at the volume of information available. Good lucik.
    Quilting Makes Me Happy...

Pattern Review has sewing machine reviews and discussion forums.
    Warmly, Maia