Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How to cool down a sewing room

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries

How to cool down a sewing room

I have so many lights in my sewing room that the heat in unbearable. I have central air and have a fan right behind the vent so it blows the air towards me in my sewing room, but with my hot flashes, I can't stay in my sewing room but 15 minutes at a time. I have to shut all the lights off and leave for about 45 minutes for it to cool off enough to come back in and then it heats back up again and I have to leave after 15 minutes again. I try to only use the lights I need in the area I'm working at the time, but I still get overheated. I can't afford those really expensive lights that are cool, unfortunately. Any suggestions?
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I did some sewing today with just the light on my sewing machine and my ott light...no overhead lights on. I was able to sew for over an hour with just a small fan blowing on me...I am very hot these days with menopause...so was glad I could make it that long. Only other suggestion is to be sure to stay hydrated...drink lots of cold water.

Blog Entries
    I use the daylight curly lights, from Sam’s or Costco, they don’t cost much and cost less to run.>>

The newer swirly bulb lights aren't expensive and put out much less heat then regular bulbs. You will save enough in electric cost to pay for better lights if the lights are the problem. Buy one bulb at a time if that is what you have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Phyllis nm View Post
    I use the daylight curly lights, from Sam’s or Costco, they don’t cost much and cost less to run.>>
    These are much cooler to run...I can stand under the lights and cut and not have to leave the room. I replaced all the old ones.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Perhaps a small window AC unit?

an ice pack type thingy on your neck might help.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

I just keep drinking water like crazy, and hope that it will rain soon ,need it badly.

and hope it will cool down outside.
    Pegg

Have a great day and happy sewing !

Blog Entries
    You mention having a lot of lights in your sewing room; maybe start by unscrewing (does not have to be all the way) any existing lights that you don't need?

Some types of lights are much cooler than others. I have some overhead lights (in a track lighting configuration) that are very hot - but right now 3 of the 6 are burned out, so the heat from them is not as bad. I keep the shades drawn in the summer and use a fan to cool the room, trying not to use the iron too much.

Power Poster
    Maybe get some medication/treatment for the hot flashes?

Power Poster
    I would buy the energy efficient cool light bulbs for the light right above where you work. Unscrew or loosen the others in the room until you need them. A little portable clip on fan for your sewing table might help too. Make one of the cool neck wrap that has the beads in it. You soak the wrap in water and someone posted the instructions for making them for soldiers in combat. If you can't find it on QB I am sure the instructions and supplies should be on the net.

Blog Entries
    A big bucket of ice in front of the fan blows cooler air.
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

Change to cooler light bulbs and keep ice water handy. Whenever you feel a hot flash coming on, drink ice water (mostly ice, which will melt). If you have a way to crush ice, that's even better. Back when I was going through this, I found caffeine made the hot flashes much worse.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

some people swear by progesterone cream. you can buy it at any vitamin/nutrient store. You just put a little on your wrist and it helps all the symptoms of menopause. I also like an item sold online by nature's sunshine called C-X. I used it for several years and never had a hot flash after I started using it. I don't need those products now as it seems I got lucky and only went through menopause for a short time.

Blog Entries
    Do you have your iron on when you are in there. I find that mine thinks its a space heater so I have a fan directed at it and turned it down a bit.

Blog Entries
    I sew with as few clothes on as possible.
    Bernie

Sugar is a huge trigger for hot flashes! As is alcoholic drinks and caffeine. I get hot flashes big time after eating sugary foods and I regret it pretty quickly...not worth the discomfort of the flashes....

My sewing room is upstairs in our farmhouse home. I have to use the window a/c to supplement the central air. I too put a fan in front of the window unit to help circulate the cool air. I find that the iron is the biggest contributor to the to room! I should look or ome of those low heat bulbs fr my overhead light figure. The winter s not bad with all of these heat producing light, etc.

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    Maybe a family member will buy you better light bulbs if they know you are can't enjoy your sewing room.
    Got fabric?

Think I would shut the lights off, and use a stand up lamp.. I have one this a fleurescent 3 way bulb that is unbelievable.. I would still want to change the bulbs, as you are using way too much electricity..

Direct the fan to blow on you. I cut out under 3 - 100W bukbs and I was sweating like crazy. It dawned on me to set the fan on something higher and aim it at my head. Menopause is only a bad distant memory. This may help. We finally got some cloud cover today and it only got up to 103. Very hot and dry out here.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    I have so many lights in my sewing room that the heat in unbearable. I have central air and have a fan right behind the vent so it blows the air towards me in my sewing room, but with my hot flashes, I can't stay in my sewing room but 15 minutes at a time. I have to shut all the lights off and leave for about 45 minutes for it to cool off enough to come back in and then it heats back up again and I have to leave after 15 minutes again. I try to only use the lights I need in the area I'm working at the time, but I still get overheated. I can't afford those really expensive lights that are cool, unfortunately. Any suggestions?
    You must have that room lit up like the surface of the sun for it to get that hot that fast!!

For general room lighting I have 1 75 watt bulb in a floor lamp. I have task lighting over my cutting table, on my sewing desk and I even have a clip light on my fabric shelves. All of those lights are daylight fluorescents so they don't heat the room up. Plus it saves a lot of electricity not to have every light on all the time. I only turn them on when I need them on.

Blog Entries
    have you tried the energy saving light bulbs? they are low wattage (ie 13 watts) but illuminate at 60 watts or more. you can buy them at the dollar store so price should not be too much of an issue also i think florescent lights may not be as hot. i have replaced all of my bulbs with the energy saving ones.

i also use "section" lighting, a separate light near my ironing board, separate light near my fabrics, separate lights near my sewing so they are on only when i need them, plus i have a room fan when needed.
    Last edited by Havplenty; 07-07-2012 at 04:45 PM.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

I understand the problem. All 3 of the rooms I sew in, especially the one with the longarm are lit up like the surface of the sun. I found a large wire cage fan with "more power" tipped up toward the ceiling to help circulate all the air in the room to be more effective than one blowing directly on me. You also might try a fan blowing out of the doorway to pull the heat out of the room. Also a damp towel around the neck or a cooling neck wrap for freezer from drug store. I also vote for as few clothes as possible.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

My sewing room is hot as it is directly under the roof and above the garage. Fortunately I do like warm and there are also many windows on three sides. If it gets really bad I can run AC but I prefer not to because of cost. So I might plan when I am there.
    Anna Quilts

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast