Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How to cool down a sewing room

Just a thought, do you have any ceiling fans? Those are very helpful in the heat of the summer. Well honestly mine never goes off in this room. And when I am sewing I have the one in there going as well. I only have one light, but leave the blinds open just a tad to let in some light from outside. But we also have sunscreens, and double pane windows that keep some of the heat outside. Of course I think some of you are experiencing some very hot weather right now, and hopefully this heat wave will pass for you soon, and things will cool off.
    Amythyst

Blog Entries
    My biggest question is WHERE is the sewing room? On an UPPER level? If so, that may be the problem. I don't know of anyone who has an upper level that isn't normally hotter than the main level or basement area. Sometimes bad in the winter too (they have to close the registers to keep the furnace heat out of the upstairs).

If your sewing area is upstairs, maybe you can close your central air vents in the lower levels and send it alllll upstairs.

Good luck
    https://napquilting.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/NAPQuilting/

My GOAL is to ALWAYS ENJOY EVERY STEP of the quilting process....

My sewing room has the cheap flourecent Shop lights it has 6 sets on the ceiling
    Weatheread
    Caddo Mills ,Tx

Blog Entries
    Why not get a window unit for your room? They have some small ones and you can set it to what will keep you cool. If you don't want a unit in the window they make the portable ones that only put a sliding vent with the hose in the window. I personally like the window unit better because they take up less room but the portables are good if you need to move them room to room.
    Judy

Not a suggestion about lights, but try wearing one of those cooling collars that tie. Bet that will make a big difference.
    Lenette

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    I have so many lights in my sewing room that the heat in unbearable. I have central air and have a fan right behind the vent so it blows the air towards me in my sewing room, but with my hot flashes, I can't stay in my sewing room but 15 minutes at a time. I have to shut all the lights off and leave for about 45 minutes for it to cool off enough to come back in and then it heats back up again and I have to leave after 15 minutes again. I try to only use the lights I need in the area I'm working at the time, but I still get overheated. I can't afford those really expensive lights that are cool, unfortunately. Any suggestions?
    Way back BAC (before Air Conditioning) we would take a large block of ice (purchased from the milk delivery man) put it in a tub, and then put an oscillating fan behind the tub......this moved the cool air coming off the ice in the tub.........so if you had a small cooler, and a small fan, you could so the same thing...........it really did work!

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the ideas. I can afford the light bulbs you all mentioned. I just can't afford to buy a lot of Ott lights. And I think some ice in front of the fan is a great idea. I've seen those long collars that go around your neck that you put in your freezer to cool you off...I think I need to try that also. I've been having hot flashes since 2000. Just my luck...don't think they'll ever go away. I need to try some herbal remedies. I know my iron is my worst enemy in my sewing room. It's like leaving my oven on high and opening the door. I think I need to shut it off and only turn it on when necessary. I'll try all you tips. I want to sew so badly.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Consider fluorescent lights they give off less heat.
    LadyCougar

"There's always time to quilt"

it the hot flash that getting to you. There is a pill you can get for that I do not get a lot any more but when I did I need a fan on me all the time.

I just moved my machine and equipment to the basement! I don't keep my fabrics there, however. BOY, I am enjoying the escape. I will move back upstairs for the winter as the basement isn't heated. My dear husband helped!!

I find that using my ott light, sewing machine light and one other from across the room behind me keeps the room cooler. I also run the ceiling fan on low all the time. Had similar hot flash probs, but much better now with fewer lights on. Also helps to kerp shades/ blinds closed all day to keep the heat out. Good luck!
    Wendy in FL

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.

Blog Entries
    I have a portable ac unit that I can take from room to room. I love it! I got mine used off ceaigslist
    It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves.

If you don't want to take medication for your hot flashes try Black Kohosh and Evening Primrose oil. The combination of the two has gotten rid of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    Thanks for all the ideas. I can afford the light bulbs you all mentioned. I just can't afford to buy a lot of Ott lights. And I think some ice in front of the fan is a great idea. I've seen those long collars that go around your neck that you put in your freezer to cool you off...I think I need to try that also. I've been having hot flashes since 2000. Just my luck...don't think they'll ever go away. I need to try some herbal remedies. I know my iron is my worst enemy in my sewing room. It's like leaving my oven on high and opening the door. I think I need to shut it off and only turn it on when necessary. I'll try all you tips. I want to sew so badly.
    I found grnuine Ott light replacement bulbs at my local Lowes hardware store where the light bulbs are sold. They fit in any kind of lamp and are soooo much cooler! I put one into an adjustable metal lamp and can touch it even when it's been on for hours. The bulbs alone are not too expensive, I think I paid $5.98 for it.
    Wendy in FL

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.

Blog Entries
    He was only trying to help.
    J J
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie View Post
    I sew with as few clothes on as possible.
    OMG - LOL - wouldn't work in my house - the animals would call PETA!!!!!
    Jane
    Physically in Maryland but heart is in Indianapolis.

Rescued Boxers are adoptable love. Please consider a homeless/rescued pet when adding to your family.

I know what you mean, I would love to be able to put a window unit in mine!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    jcrow, you are not having hot flashes, you are having power surges. hehehe
    Also , I have found that the tube lights are much cooler to use in confined spaces. At least for me.
    Stitching is Meditation in Motion

I think.the ice cooler around the neck is an excellent idea.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

I've been having hot flashes for a couple of years, too. Hope they go away soon. I sew linen clothing for myself because it seems to keep me cooler than cotton. I have many patterns from a company called Sewing Workshop that I like. I mostly make looser pants with a sleeveless top and then a shirt or unstructured jacket that I can take off. There is a local boutique that carries several lines of linen clothing such as Flax, Bryn Walker, Elizabeth Ashby, etc. They must get lots of business from my age group!

I moved my iron to my kitchen so I could stand at a higher counter. I never realized how much heat it generates. I think I'll leave it there, nobody eats at the bar counter anyway.

I have a goose-neck lamp on my sewing table with a curly-Q florescent bulb, which is cooler than an incandescent, but I'm going to look for the OTT bulb. I have to turn it off every time I get up to cool the room. I've been sewing lately in the master bedroom because it is cooler. I have a ceiling fan and a buzz fan to supplement the A/C. Our golden retriever loves it in there, she gets on the end of the bed with both fans pointing towards her and watches me sew. DH and DD complain about how cold I keep the thermostat, but it always seems hot and stuffy to me.
    Elizabeth

Maybe what you are "saving" by not buying more efficient lamps, you are wasting on AC and electricity on running extra fans. The type of light bulbs we grew up with throw off a lot of heat and also use more electricity to run. Walmart has a "reading lamp" for under $20 that is a "daylight" lamp with the funny shaped bulbs that provide good, cooler light.
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

Blog Entries

The solution

You should move to Scotland. The climate is such that it is NEVER too hot. There is no need for air conditioning - in fact a nice thick cardigan is recommended. The scenery is - to use the kid's venacular - pretty COOL also. A wonderful place to sew.

J.

My sewing room is an addition that we added connected to the laundy room, also a small bath, I use a window unit in there in addition to the central unit. This works fine for me.

Estroplus from the drug store works great. It is a natural herbal hot flash pill you take twice a day. Works for me! I think they are ten dollars at walmart.

I feel for you about your lights, but, I have no idea except the curly lights. It sure has been record hot for a lot of people this year.

I work upstairs as long as I can, and bring hand work downstairs in the afternoon when it is too hot to stay up there.
    Last edited by RedGarnet222; 07-08-2012 at 08:36 AM.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

I saw a pattern and instructions on how to make the "cool tie". Had I only known what summer would bring, I would have made a lot of them this spring. Right now I am waiting for the local nursery to get more of the polymer filling to put inside.
    Very easy to make, good way to use up some of your larger fabric scraps...They take 1/4 of a yard and the filling. Very easy to make. Since most all of our family members are gardeners and outdoor people...I plan to make more for stocking stuffers. The pattern on >organizedchristmas.com<
    Kaye Jacobson Salverda

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast