Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: How to cool down a sewing room

You have a lot of great suggestions here. My sewing room does have a wall a/c unit, but I also keep a larger fan oscillating on top of my bookshelves, and I use a tiny little round fan right next to me at the sewing machine, blowing in my face. I know it's our irons that throw most of the heat, but I have to keep mine on ... I hate waiting for the darned thing to reheat if I shut it off!

try floresant lighting.

Blog Entries
    Try my hot flashes treatment. Got this from a friend and it worked for me - sage tea made into ice tea. I made it with sage leaves from my herb garden, but health food stores and some of the chain vitamin stores have it in tea bags.

I used 20 leaves, washed, rolled up and chopped. If you're using teas bags, use tea and for both, use the following directions.

Put them in a large tea pot or a 2 quart pyrex measuring cup and poured boiling water over them - like making regular tea. Let it steep about 10 minutes. Pour over ice cubes. Sweeten if the taste is too strong or bitter, just like you would regular ice tea.

Have a gooseneck desk lamp aimed at sewing needle, with an ott light bulb which I bought at Hancocks during a 50% off sale, so bulb cost 2.50, the bulb seems to be lasting a long time. I have curly day lights in lamps if needing to work at night.

Blog Entries
    Seems a lot of sewing rooms are the most uncomfortable rooms in the house and are just accepted as being so.

As for hot flashes, they are very treatable.
    Got fabric?

My husband put a ceiling fan in my sewing room. I sit right under it. It works great.

Its called a ceiling fan with a light kit and 4 fluorescent lamps, does just great!!
    pat design

Blog Entries
    Hormones !
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

There are several cooling blankets which are dampened and then cool you as the moisture evaporates. They are available as neckerchiefs also. Perhaps that would help you. Also, you might dampen a towel and hang near where your fan is blowing and that might cool down the ambient air as well.

I bought one of those portable air conditioners at Lowes. It is on rollers and can be moved from room to room. It has to be vented and also needs a drain hose to get rid of the water that collects but it is great when you need to get cool.

"Small deeds done are better than great deeds planned"
    Peter Marshall

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that
    take our breath away". - Hilary Cooper
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/2HartsCreations?ref=si_shop

I have a chandelier has 5, 75 watt full spectrum incandescent I experienced the same thing. My DH came in and said what's wrong with your a/c? He moved my one design wall..it was blocking the a/c. Closed the closet door and what a difference!! I think I'm gonna check out those daylight ones & see if it makes a difference. Thanks!
    Be kinder than necessary,everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Ever hear of cool ties. they have water absorbant beads in them that hold water for many hours.
    They chill you to the bone when you first put them on, especially if you have themin the refrigator.

The military use them in Iraq for those that are overcome by the heat.

You can buy them in some stores, or make your own. I make them and send in care boxes to military.

http://www.watersorb.com/polymer_cool_neck_bands.htm

Well, here's a trick an 'ole tima' taught me - freezer water in milk or soda jugs then place in front of the fan. Works like a charm.

best,
    d
    My best is the least I can do.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4