Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to Determine if Fabric Will Bleed More Red >

How to Determine if Fabric Will Bleed More Red

How to Determine if Fabric Will Bleed More Red

Old 09-10-2017, 08:40 AM

Default How to Determine if Fabric Will Bleed More Red

I have some fabric for a baby quilt which has dogs on it of which some are the dreaded RED. Even though this fabric was washed before, I see the red doggies have bled a bit (dreadful description, I know, but it's true).

I've already picked all my fabrics for the quilt - and starched and ironed them- so I really want to use the doggie fabric which will be the center fabric for 13 blocks.

So. Rather than plunge ahead after already having discerned a problem staring me in the face...I think I should stop and put the doggie fabric in the sink and see if I get even more bleeding.

But what do I put in with the doggies? Just warm water? Hot water? Hot water and the renowned original Dawn dish soap? Help me please.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:13 AM

Try a mix of 1/4 cup laundry detergent , 1/4 cup vinegar and 1/4 cup salt . Fill the sink with warm water , then stir in the mixture, then add fabrics. Let them soak . You should know rather quickly if this trick works.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:17 AM

I have all of the ingredients, zozee, but will this process reveal whether I'll see more bleeding or will it "set" the fabric so it stops bleeding?
Old 09-10-2017, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

People on here have talked about Retayne stopping the bleeding. I don't usually have much problems with bleeding.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

Unless you are pairing it with a white or off white fabric it probably will be fine. If however it is going to bleed into white, check it again after washing by placing a piece wet on a white paper towel. If it is still bleeding either find another fabric or put it with another fabric that you won't notice the bleed.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
I have all of the ingredients, zozee, but will this process reveal whether I'll see more bleeding or will it "set" the fabric so it stops bleeding?
The hope is that this method will stop the bleeding. You may have to rinse and repeat . But there are always dyes that simply won't stop running , and need to be trashed.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:35 AM

No more bleeding after I followed your formula, zozee. Thanks for your help. And thanks, Tartan also. I understand about using this fabric with white.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

I soak a fabric that is coloring the water several times. Sometimes it is excess dye - and when the water runs clear (or clear enough) - I will use it.

Sometimes it is a bleeder - and there are folks that will swear that they can stop the bleeding using various techniques - Retayne, salt, vinegar, Dawn - whatever -

I won't use the fabric - because there are people like me that think it is okay to just put a quilt in the wash (assuming the washer is adequately sized), add some mild detergent, and walk away while it is washing - and expect to have ALL the fabrics in the quilt be the same color after they were sewn as they were before - and that none of the fabrics spilled color onto the other pieces.

Not that there is anything wrong with using color catchers, etc. etc. etc. - I just don't want to be bothered with the NEED to use them or the WORRY that one of the dyes may color another of the fabrics I used.

PS - I used to "just wash" fabrics - now I soak them in hot water before washing them (gently).

PPS - I have found that babies and toddlers tend to emit fluids that begin with P - and sometimes one does not notice the "bonus" until it has been around for a while. Any of these are great dye releasers.

Last edited by bearisgray; 09-10-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
No more bleeding after I followed your formula, zozee. Thanks for your help. And thanks, Tartan also. I understand about using this fabric with white.
Yay! It worked! You get to use the fabric you want.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:33 PM

Thanks, bear. I do wash any and all fabric as it comes in the door and I wouldn't use a major bleeder either in a quilt.

Before I joined this board, I wouldn't even have noticed the minor bleeding issue on this fabric. So you're all having a good influence on the newbies. I've become more observant in my quiltmaking.