Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How did this happen...

Blog Entries
    Thanks Fred. It is very small that is why the shelves go so high that I need a stepladder.
    And come March I have to share the space with a litter of puppies if the breeding goes well.
    Of course there will be photos of that too.
    Sunnie
    a dog show & quilt addict
    www.buckhollow.net

I have been trying to clean up my space too. I think the fabric is multiplying behind my back.
    Michelle

May your bobbin always be full! ~Author Unknown

Want another secret pal? I'll volunteer. It's the least I can do. lol.
    katigirl

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnie View Post
    I decided to clean and re-organize my sewing room to start off the New Year right. OMG, where did all this come from. Maybe I am out of control when I see fabric on sale. To make it worse I just ordered 15 more yards. Look out Secret Pal, you are going to help with my de-stashing. And scraps...I think they multiply when I turn off the lights.

I guess I need to stay out of quilt shops until I get some projects done.
    Yep, that looks exactly like my sewing room right now. Today, I start re-organizing. I swear. I promise. I take an oath. First, I'm going to have a cuppa. I guess it's the New Year. I just feel giggley.
    I'm taking it all with me and if St Peter won't let me in, I'm commin' back.

I understand completely. Didn't realize I had so much fabric until we moved last April. But, now that I see that I have almost enough for a store, does that keep me from buying more? Nooooooooo.

You can never have too much fabric. With the prices now, it's an investment.

same here but gave all but about 1/4 away whene i moved to fl dh said we were moveing into a 5th wheel so no room well guess what in a 3br apt dont work any more so no frabice a little here a little there.

You did a great job on getting control over your space. I try to keep mine in some order... but as soon as I get going on a project ... all is lost !! Literally !

Sounds like a good problem to have!! I think we all love a bit (or more) of fabric!! Good luck using that all up!!!

Rachel

From what I can see of your sewing room, you have NOTHING to complain about!! I'd love it if that was my space! I will admit to being a bit of a slob when it comes to cleaning. Unless I get inspired, my whole house is usually 10 times worse than that! Enjoy!!

My New Year's resolution is to finish every project I started before going on to something new--stay tuned :-)

Quote Originally Posted by katigirl View Post
    Want another secret pal? I'll volunteer. It's the least I can do. lol.
    Me too!!! Me too!!!

Thanks for posting pics. I took notes to help me organize my sewing room. I just moved everything downstairs to a larger room. I didn't realize how much I really had. My 14 year old granddaughter is trying to organize the fabric for me. Right now she has containers of strips, squares, ufo's. I told her we need to separate the strips and squares into the different sizes. Then we'll need to separate the colors.
    Kathy Stewart from IA
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kath_stirut

Some organization, and some quilts made for loved ones is all its going to take.
    Fabric makes us happy, just looking at all the quilts on our 'to do' list.
    Winter is coming, a great time to make some quilts.

OOOH Iam droolilng, have fun sewing this year!
    pat design

We just can't help ourselves when we see a fabric we love. To heck with what we're going to do with it! We just buy it and then try to figure out what to do with it later. I'm horrible about going online and seeing this and that and before I know it I've bought enough fabric to make 20 quilts. LOL!!! It's like Christmas all year long for us quilters.
    Kim

Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

Just remember those scraps make scrappy quilts or even string quilts, so very little loss. I have gotten material that later viewing, know I will never use, so just sack it up for Goodwill or simular place because there are others that will need this material for some project. Wish I had the room that you do, but all I have is a very small walk-in closet where I share the vacuum cleaner, coats and cloths(off season). Can a quilter ever get "too" much material?????? Laughing here.

oh, thank you for posting a picture that looks like my sewing room. All the quilt shops and Hobby Lobby and Joann's are having sales and I did not resist. With the holiday and my having carpal tunnel surgery now on both hands, the room is a wreck. And all I want to do is quilt, which I can't do at all. You are not alone in having a messy room, thank you for having the courage to post these pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by lalaland View Post
    Polar fleece seems to multiply in my sewing room too, and it's so bulky. I finally put a tall bookshelf in my room and I folded up the pieces and stored them there. If I can see it, I'll use it. Of course, I have 2 garbage bags full of fleece in my garage, a donation from someone, and no room for it in my sewing room. Time to make some blankets for charity!
    Don't you just "love" the donations of friends who are cleaning out their house and decide that you can use fabric. I have finally just begun to say No, don't need fabric right now. I used to take it, sort it, and keep what I could use. Then bring the rest to Goodwill. Now I just suggest that they drop it off at Goodwill. I know they mean well, and I have used some of the donations, but it's such a hassle to deal with the bulk when it arrives in an already cluttered sewing room. When I hear the word, "Oh, I have something for you." I know what it is. I use only 100% cottons, no fleece or flannel, and my space is so limited.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Well I too have had to clean and reorganize. I just went to Ikea for boxes and Home Depot has shoe boxes for $1.19 each. They are clear and flat. I finished the Quilt Studio now the walk-in closet is yelling Clean Me! Yes it is next! Just take one step at a time. I told my small LQS that I offically have more fabric than she does in the store. Yep. I also told my son what it is worth just in case he needs to help get rid of it! So hubby does not trash it or give it away! Stay Focused and have fun. Luann
    Live Love and Laugh Enough!

Blog Entries
    Looking good! It really is a good idea to work from the stash. I have set that goal for myself.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

You can never have enough fabric - that is my motto. That being said. I would add an additional shelf to the wooden hutch(?) on the left side of your photo for more storage & fabric.

Blog Entries
    Your organized room looks very nice! Good job! Keeping it neat and tidy is easier to do once it's cleaned up.
    Go forth and sew!

I know the feeling. There have been some great online sales and I have been stocking up on mainly batiks, so it is getting time to reorganize my stash.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JUNEC View Post
    You can never have enough fabric - that is my motto. That being said. I would add an additional shelf to the wooden hutch(?) on the left side of your photo for more storage & fabric.
    Too funny - you read my mind. I have already contacted a friend who can add 1 or 2 shelves to that piece. It is actually to top to our TV stand. Once we upgraded to a large flat screen it was no longer needed so I confiscated it.
    Sunnie
    a dog show & quilt addict
    www.buckhollow.net

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast