Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I check the wiring on my featherweight? >

How do I check the wiring on my featherweight?

How do I check the wiring on my featherweight?

Old 10-04-2011, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by gale
I don't think it's bad but I just want to make sure. I bought it from a shop where the guy used it as his regular machine, and they also repair machines there, so it was kept up as far as maintenance. Thanks for the links-I will check that out. I emailed the man who wrote the book I mentioned but haven't heard back yet. It's an hour to the shop so I would rather just check it because like I mentioned, I think it's probably fine.
Am I missing something - you bought it from a repair shop and you are worried about the wiring? Usually the answer is to bring it to a repair shop to have the wiring checked. Since you bought it from one and not from eBay or CL and it was their regular machine and they repair machines, it should be okay. If you are worried call them, if a shop sold it they should guarantee their work. If you can't trust them I wouldn't go back there for repairs.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:08 AM

It's not that I don't trust them. I know they used this machine and I know they repair machines but I am not betting my daughter's life (via electrocution) that they recently checked the wiring. I can take it there to have it checked but it's an hour drive away and not in an area I normally shop in. I will call though, and ask them if they had routinely checked the interior wiring. But if the screw is stuck this fast, I have a feeling it hasn't been loosened in a very long time.

This is the only shop I know of that repairs older machines.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:34 AM

Maybe it is reverse threaded. Try to turn the screw the opposite way - gently.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom
Maybe it is reverse threaded. Try to turn the screw the opposite way - gently.
It took me a little to turn mine - I had to check my wiring and everything else. I know my shop didn't check mine and I'll never take a machine there again. I bought a machine from eBay and took it there to be checked - they were supposed to do a complete check up. They just changed a belt and light and told me the light switch was intermittent, and took 6 weeks. Never oiled it from what I could see or tried to fix the light problem. Charged $88 dollars - I just paid and took my machine and learned how to do things myself. Including removing the motor to repaint parts of the machine and redecal. Try taking the bottom off of your machine. (The oil pan) You will be able to see a lot of the wiring where it comes from the motor and light and then god out to attach to the plug. In fact you will see most of it. It's going to look crusty and oily, but wipe it off and see how it looks. Also - is the wiring from the motor to the plug free from cracks? And the plug itself and the foot pedal - any brittleness or cracks along the wire or where they attach? Check all the wires that can see and call the shop.