Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I correctly piece a NYB block? >

How do I correctly piece a NYB block?

How do I correctly piece a NYB block?

Old 09-19-2014, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

That looks more like cheese cloth to me. Muslin is a little heavier and tighter. There are different variations of muslin.
Originally Posted by Monale View Post
Is this the kind of fabric that would be called "muslin" or is it too thin?

Old 09-19-2014, 06:54 AM

Monale, a clerk at the fabric store can show you what muslin is. A very nice, cotton, either cream colored or white. What you are showing would not work. Your center block is really pretty, as will the whole block be, when you get it finished.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by barny View Post
Monale, a clerk at the fabric store can show you what muslin is. A very nice, cotton, either cream colored or white. What you are showing would not work. Your center block is really pretty, as will the whole block be, when you get it finished.
Unfortunately people don't speak English where I live and I have no idea what "muslin" is in Chinese . But I think I get the idea: it seems to be more like the cheaper bed sheet fabric. I will try to organise some for the future!

Anyway, I couldn't wait starting my block, so I had another idea: I've seen a youtube video where someone is using fusible interface as a foundation. She is doing machine piecing, but I figured it should work for hand piecing, too. So I decided to use it for the spikes part and I drew them on there with a fabric marker. It seems to work so far, I'm just putting in the quarter circle right now.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

in some Countries muslin is said to be called callico and callico called muslin. I have no idea why.
anyway, here is a tutorial that may help.http://www.incolororder.com/2012/04/...g-block-7.html
Old 09-19-2014, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

I am going to start working on a Judy Niemeyer pattern called Island Sunrise that includes paper with the design already printed on the paper. The design is also a NTB. You might also want to check out Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day. I think she sells the fusible already printed but it is a much simpler design than you have.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:49 AM

Here in England we call that Muslin and the heavier fabric is called calico. I did use muslin to pp Christmas stockings and it worked ok but think it would be too stretchy for those precision blocks.

Originally Posted by Monale View Post
Is this the kind of fabric that would be called "muslin" or is it too thin?

Old 09-20-2014, 04:37 AM

But is Monale's order of piecing as it should be even given a foundation block/paper piecing? I have extremely limited piecing experience, but long time sewing experience for what that's worth (possibly nothing). It seems to me as if she should begin at the arc she has labeled 4, next adding 3 to it. Then the arc of triangles would be built and added; at the end she should attach the final piece 5. Correct me here; help me learn. What is the best order of construction and why? I am intrigued.

~ Carla ~

ETA I just looked at nativetexan's link. Thank you. That does help. Maybe you should ignore my post? LOL.

Last edited by HomekeepingGran; 09-20-2014 at 04:40 AM.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by HomekeepingGran View Post
But is Monale's order of piecing as it should be even given a foundation block/paper piecing? I have extremely limited piecing experience, but long time sewing experience for what that's worth (possibly nothing). It seems to me as if she should begin at the arc she has labeled 4, next adding 3 to it. Then the arc of triangles would be built and added; at the end she should attach the final piece 5. Correct me here; help me learn. What is the best order of construction and why? I am intrigued.

~ Carla ~

ETA I just looked at nativetexan's link. Thank you. That does help. Maybe you should ignore my post? LOL.
I'm on block number 2 by now, and so far I think my order works fine (guess it doesn't matter if you first piece 1 & 2 or 3 & 4 to then put the two resulting pieces together. I last added 5). I ended up using fusible interfacing as a foundation for 1 & 2 (mainly because I had that handy and didn't want to wait to organise something like muslin first...).
This is actually the first time I'm doing anything curved, and it turns out it's much easier than I thought!
Old 09-20-2014, 06:01 PM

Thank you nativetexan for the link to the tutorials, I have never even looked at anything remotely PP, but after looking at the tutorials linked in the link (does that make sense?) I think I might be tempted sooner than I thought to give it a try, thanks again from another Texan (I wasn't born here but I got here as fast as I could )
Jeri