Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I correctly piece a NYB block? >

How do I correctly piece a NYB block?

How do I correctly piece a NYB block?

Old 09-19-2014, 01:04 AM

Default How do I correctly piece a NYB block?

I’m working on a quilt that I’m designing kind of “as I go”… I finished a square of about 43’’ but I want a bigger quilt. So I decided to use it diagonally, and now I have to fill the four resulting corner triangles. I’ve searched the web for ideas and found pictures of the block “New York Beauty” that I think would fit into the corners:

Now my question/problem: All the explanations I found about how to do NYB are talking about PP, however, I’m hand piecing so that’s not really an option. I am thinking of doing it in the following order:

• sew 1 & 2 together
  • sew 3 & 4 together
  • sew both pieces together
  • add 5

Is this the right way to do it? Or is there a better way?
Attached Thumbnails nyb-1.png   nyb-2.jpg  
Old 09-19-2014, 01:32 AM
Power Poster

You can do they(paper piece) technique by hand, Ginny Beyer makes all of her quilts by hand. You can either USA a foundation (I use muslin generally) or you can use templates. Yes, the piecing order is correct in your diagram, you piece your spike section first, I would join sections 3 & 4 then add that section to the spike section, then add your corner piece. That is the order New York beauty blocks are constructed
Old 09-19-2014, 01:47 AM

I would probably try to do the pp'ing with these only because you have sooooo many bias edges going on. Certainly it can be done by hand, still. Maybe press to freezer paper before cutting??? Just to try to control some of those edges and the fiddly points. Looks like it will be a stunner. Good luck.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I would probably try to do the pp'ing with these only because you have sooooo many bias edges going on. Certainly it can be done by hand, still. Maybe press to freezer paper before cutting??? Just to try to control some of those edges and the fiddly points. Looks like it will be a stunner. Good luck.
I am quite a newbie, but I did follow another thread a while ago that discussed PP and hand piecing and my conclusion reading it was that it would not work using paper foundations when hand piecing. But you're right, there are lots of bias edges that will be hard to keep straight...
Old 09-19-2014, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
You can do they(paper piece) technique by hand, Ginny Beyer makes all of her quilts by hand. You can either USA a foundation (I use muslin generally) or you can use templates. Yes, the piecing order is correct in your diagram, you piece your spike section first, I would join sections 3 & 4 then add that section to the spike section, then add your corner piece. That is the order New York beauty blocks are constructed
So instead of sewing onto paper, you would sew it onto muslin? That sounds like a good idea! However, please excuse my ignorance, but what exactly do you mean by muslin? I know "muslin" is some kind of cotton fabric, but I'm not sure what it looks like... I assume it is pretty thin as if I would sew it onto "regular" fabric, it probably would get too bulky, right?
Old 09-19-2014, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Monale View Post
So instead of sewing onto paper, you would sew it onto muslin? That sounds like a good idea! However, please excuse my ignorance, but what exactly do you mean by muslin? I know "muslin" is some kind of cotton fabric, but I'm not sure what it looks like... I assume it is pretty thin as if I would sew it onto "regular" fabric, it probably would get too bulky, right?
I agree with ckcowl and NJ QUilte , either foundation piece it (using muslin) or english paper piecing it (using freezer paper) would be my suggestions as well.

Using muslin would add bulk but it would add great stability for the delicate points in the fans. Muslin is generally lighter weight and sometimes a less dense weave than most quilting fabric. If I used it as foundation, I would probably prewash it and dry it before using it.

By the way - love the design - can not wait to see it finished!! Your block for the center is beautiful and will make a great center.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:31 AM

Is this the kind of fabric that would be called "muslin" or is it too thin?

Attached Thumbnails t1kb5tfnpbxxxxxxxx_-0-item_pic.jpg_400x400.jpg  
Old 09-19-2014, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

I hand-pieced some of Jinny Beyer's stars - if anything, maybe use starch or sizing on the fabrics before cutting them - and had absolutely no problem with bias edges.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:29 AM
Power Poster

I would call that "gauze" or "gauzy". If 100% cotton, that's what I would use for bandages or curtains!. I would not use that for foundation piecing.

"Muslin" - is sort of like quilting cotton - but usually it's a solid color - white, cream (natural), or light tan in color. In fact, a lot of people have used the white or cream as the alternate blocks when making a top or back of a quilt.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

Monale, what you pictured is called Cheesecloth and I don't think it would be stable enough for a foundation.

Here is a link to muslin

http://hancockfabrics.com/muslin

find the lightest weight you can and make sure you prewash it in HOT water as it tends to shrink more than quilting cottons, especially the lighter weight less expensive ones.