Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how do I get fusible off fabric >

how do I get fusible off fabric

how do I get fusible off fabric

Old 08-04-2010, 11:00 AM

The glue can melt into and around the threads of the fabric if it is heated too hot or too often. Once that happens, I have never heard of a way to remove it. You may want to learn to 'tack fuse' pieces (a short, quick tap with just the nose of the iron) until you are sure you want them where you have them.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:27 PM

Try dryer sheets. They work on my iron. Just a suggestion. nanamoe
Old 08-04-2010, 01:27 PM

Contact the company that makes the fusible. They will be able to give you the best information on how to remove it. They spend big bucks on that sort of thing when they develop the material (whether or not the person you talk to knows the answer... you might have to be persistent and keep asking questions until you get to the correct department.)
Old 08-04-2010, 07:00 PM

I use Goo Gone a lot, but haven't tried it on fabric. This a commercial product that can be found in Walmart and it is wonderful for removing sticky residue, i.e., sales stickers. I would do a test on a scrap of fabric first.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by damaquilts
I am making a fusible wall hanging and had to take a piece off but there is still glue on the background fabric. Is there any way to get it off without ruining the background. I tried heating it and laying another piece of fabric over it and ironing thinking the heat would transfer the glue to the scrap. didn't work. I don't want to put anything on the fabric if there is a chance it could be harmed. Just figured I would ask . I know I cannot be the only person this has happened to.
Thanks
Take a scrap of cotton and place it over you spot and iron gently...this may take two or three trys, but it usually works for me. I have tried goo-gone but I find it leaves a oil spot on most fabric. Good luck!
Old 08-05-2010, 03:17 AM

Take a scrap of cotton and place it over you spot and iron gently...this may take two or three trys, but it usually works for me. I have tried goo-gone but I find it leaves a oil spot on most fabric. Good luck![/quote]

I tried that and it got some off. The eye is now back on and stitched in place. Lesson learned make sure everything is right before ironing. :-)
Old 08-05-2010, 04:10 AM

I have had some success with the pieces of paper used to pick out doughnuts at the grocery store!
Old 08-05-2010, 06:59 PM
Pam

Another thought. Design opportunity! Stick something else over it! Whatcha' got to loose?
Old 08-06-2010, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Pam
Another thought. Design opportunity! Stick something else over it! Whatcha' got to loose?
I don't think that would work so well in this situation. It was his eye that messed up.

Now no one has seen this yet because its not finished so you all are the first. Other than my daughter and Sherry(head of the dog part of the rescue) who came over yesterday to give shots to the puppies.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-92469.jpe  
Old 08-06-2010, 06:21 AM

Looks fantastic to me! Great job!