Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I "oversize" my flying geese so I can trim down to exact size?? >

How do I "oversize" my flying geese so I can trim down to exact size??

How do I "oversize" my flying geese so I can trim down to exact size??

Old 03-16-2014, 07:20 AM

Take a look at Deb Tucker's youtube video for her flying geese ruler. She also makes them a little oversized and then trims - however - I was trying to make some and had already cut pieces the exact size, so I used her tip of putting the squares slightly inside the corner, and it makes a huge difference. They came out really well. Of course, I already own the ruler, but was just fooling around and didn't get it out. I definitely will for the next batch.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:19 AM

Thank you for the responses. I purchased the EB flying geese rulers about 18 months ago and when I used them the first time, I realized after making about 25 out of 150 required flying geese that the ruler was not cut precisely and my flying geese were 1/8 inch too narrow on the sides. I had never really thought about the possibility of a ruler not being the correct size until this. So, I purchased another brand of flying geese rulers to finish the quilt but found that I was a little short at the bottom of the block or the top so I was frustrated trying to keep all the points nice.

I love the Bloc Loc ruler for HST so I just purchased a few for the flying geese. What I am hoping to do is find the measurement of the large square and the 4 smaller squares that gives just a 1/8 inch or so excess so you can trim down all sides to an exact size. Not a lot of waste. I'm hoping I can experiment later today.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:16 AM

http://neighborhoodquiltclub.blogspo...-tutorial.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKfM3pJYSmc

Last edited by rebeljane; 03-19-2014 at 02:19 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:59 AM

You don't actually NEED Eleanor's rulers, I use her "method" of flying geese and have never had a problem, very little waste.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:00 AM

Im also an Eleanor Burns fan and use her method to make flying geese. Always perfect and easy to make using two squares. No book the instructions come with the ruler. Watch her videos at her website.
Have all her geese rulers bought at Joanns with coupons.

Last edited by Rose Marie; 03-19-2014 at 07:04 AM.