Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I raise this? >

How do I raise this?

How do I raise this?

Old 04-05-2010, 10:28 PM

Walmart has bed risers that might fit your legs and they are very inexpensive. I am tall and need added height on cutting tables, so they work out great. Good luck.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:27 AM

I would just turn it upside down and unscrew the table from the legs. Have some one cut some wood spacers to mount on the bottom of the table top. Then reattach the legs. The table is rather heavy and this will make it even heavier but not so tipsy.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Banned

i think for now I am ok with the height, I added the wheels so its about 2 inches higher, I could use another 3. Maybe i will go to lowes and see what they have.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:01 PM

If that table doesn't work for you take it back to Hancocks.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:14 PM

If the table came in kit form - I suggest another piece of timber the same size of table top be attached to legs first, then use strips of timber, say 6"x6" square posts or composition of timbers glued/screwed together to give desired height(not sure what is available in the US) at intervals across top and then reposition table top onto raised platform - this will give storage space between two layers of timber for drawers etc to be included in cutting table - I am a female DIY Senior Citizen (in Oz) and used this method to raise table on top of an old office desk for quilting frame to be mounted to desired height which gave shelf space underneath for slim drawers, stencils, rulers etc. Of course this all depends on the strentgh of your steel frame and legs!!
Old 04-07-2010, 04:46 AM

I have heard it said that the perfect cutting height for a person is "belly button" high!
Old 04-07-2010, 05:51 AM
Banned

Ok. Wow alot of replies! This table was on sale for 99 dollars. The wheels do lock. My mistake. It's not wobbly at all. With wheels on it's belly button height. I read somewhere the table at joanns is not Sullivan. It's a faux one. Who knows if this is true. They said that's why they are cheap and wobbly. Mine is very very solid. I can sew on it and it don't move
Old 04-07-2010, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by lnordyke
With so many casters, I'm not sure if risers would work or not. You could build a "step" up for the entire table to sit on with a lip so it won't come off. Basically a wooden box the same size as the table. make any sense at all?
This is the idea I was hatching but I would make the "Step" with a toe hole like the toe space under your kitchen/bathroom cupboards so you aren't always kinking the wooden riser...hard on toes. Does this make sense?
Old 04-07-2010, 07:19 AM

I use empty (metal) coffee cans to raise my banquet table to a good cutting height. Works well for me.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sewcrazygirl
Ok. Wow alot of replies! This table was on sale for 99 dollars. The wheels do lock. My mistake. It's not wobbly at all. With wheels on it's belly button height. I read somewhere the table at joanns is not Sullivan. It's a faux one. Who knows if this is true. They said that's why they are cheap and wobbly. Mine is very very solid. I can sew on it and it don't move
I got mine a couple years ago at joann's with 50% off, only paid about $35 and it is not wobbly, it has locking wheels, and it folds down so I can store it in the bedroom when not using it. Penny