Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I remove "Press & Seal" after I have sewn on it? >

How do I remove "Press & Seal" after I have sewn on it?

How do I remove "Press & Seal" after I have sewn on it?

Old 08-23-2011, 08:07 AM

Here are some tips that you may or may not use, but it is how I learned to use P&S several years ago. First do not plan to use it on a real light colored quilt. Pokies may show up! Do not use a design that requires really close quilting. (You now know why!) I use a Sharpie to draw, let it dry over night, then place another piece of P&S on top, so you have 2 layers. I may start using a fine tip washable pen. I like that idea, but I would still let it dry. If you have not done an intricate design, picking out should not be a problem, but will require some picking. I can't imagine that it would come out in the wash. It isn't a wash-away material.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:49 AM

I first heard here about quilters using P&S for quilting a couple of weeks ago.

It kind of boggles me that it would be used for this purpose. It is made with pockets of glue (chewing gum ingredients) that burst when you finger press it. The sewing machine needle has to be getting that glue on itself, in addition to picking some up & pushing it into the layers of the quilt. I just wouldn't, myself.

It uses Griptex®, a proprietary gripping technology. Think of the textured surface of GLAD Press'n Seal® wrap as having thousands of tiny hills and valleys. Only when you apply pressure do the valleys seal to the desired location. The sealing actually works with the help of the primary ingredients typically found in chewing gum — an old idea now applied to wrap! These ingredients have been approved by the FDA for over 35 years and are frequently used for labels found on fruits and vegetables. Griptex® technology allows GLAD Press'n Seal® wrap to seal to plastic, paper, Styrofoam® containers, metal, wood and many other surfaces.
FROM http://www.glad.com/faqs/

I guess that sounds argumentative, I really don't mean it like that. It is just an FYI...
Old 08-23-2011, 11:00 AM

I have never any problems with it when I used it, nor any leftover residue on anything, like needles, fabric, whatever, so I am all for it, depending on the project. I now have a floor frame to machine quilt on & haven't played with it on there yet. Has anyone else, & if so, what did you think?