Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I sew this??? Need help with figuring this out. >

How do I sew this??? Need help with figuring this out.

How do I sew this??? Need help with figuring this out.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:33 PM

well it looks like this is on hold for a while because I had to do a re-do of the whole quilt. Seems that the Vikings team colors and the Green Bay team colors are both evident in this one and since this is suppose to be a total Viking quilt I have had to do some changes.

You can see the changes here on page 4
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-162343-4.htm#4526824

I will still do this border because I really like it but now I have some more time to play with it and work through all the ways to do it. I'm going to do a miniature (about 2 -3 feet long) border first and see how that works before tackling the long one.

Thanks to everyone for all the useful information at least now I feel that I have a good chance at getting it done.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I think it could be sewn with using a diagonal set mind-set - with using shallow y-seams to attach the long strips.
:thumbup: I saw it as seminole piecing, similar to what you suggest. I like this method.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:47 PM

I think it could be sewn with using a diagonal set mind-set - with using shallow y-seams to attach the long strips.
Yup! This is the way that I did a similar border with double diamonds and it worked well. "Y" seams aren't bad once you do them a few times.

This is a tutorial that I did that includes instructions for "Y" seams.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-158267-1.htm

Your quilt is gorgeous, both new and old colors and the border is just right for it.

This is the diamond border on one of my quilts
[ATTACH=CONFIG]275625[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-275572.jpe  
Old 10-22-2011, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by rainbow quilter
Yup! This is the way that I did a similar border with double diamonds and it worked well. "Y" seams aren't bad once you do them a few times.

This is a tutorial that I did that includes instructions for "Y" seams.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-158267-1.htm

Your quilt is gorgeous, both new and old colors and the border is just right for it.
Thanks I will check that out. Yours look fantastic!!!
Old 10-22-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
I would piece this and I have placed a red line where I would make the different pieces to create this.
i would do the same thing
Old 10-22-2011, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
draw up a pattern and paper piece the middle part,
My suggestion too.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:52 PM

Send it to someone else. hehehe
Old 10-22-2011, 07:52 PM

If this is an art quilt for hanging, I'd consider laying the pcs on a foundation piece and then fuse them to the foundation. Then I'd use a black narrow zig zag and stitch the pcs with them butting up to each other. That way I wouldn't have to worry about seams and altering the design. I love what you've created. Also, you could check out art quilt tutes.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:19 PM

Since you have already cut your pieces out...here is what I would do..
First...to make it easier...let's number the pieces by color:
1= bronze diamonds (4 pieces)
2= black diamond (1 piece)
3= Gold arrows (2 pieces)
4= black half diamonds (2 pieces)
5= black half arrows (4 pieces)

We will do them in strips.

First you want to stabilize the pieces. You can starch them...but make really sure to use a heavy starch (spray starch)...spray...press (don't iron back and forth...press down, lift up. When the starch is dry...repeat.

Now, draw your 1/4" seam lines on the back side of each piece...use a chalk pencil, crayon, whatever...just make sure it's exactly 1/4"...let the lines you draw cross over one another at the tips...this is very important...where those lines intersect is where you stop stitching...only stitch up to that intersection and stop...you can back stitch one or two stitches to make sure the stitches won't come out later.

Seperate into three sections...
Section 1... a black half diamond from the left in your picture + a bronze diamond + a gold arrow.

Section 2 ... a black half arrow from the bottom left in your picture + a bronze diamond, the black diamond + a bronze diamond, and last a black half arrow (top right in your picture).

Section 3... gold arrow + bronze diamond + black half diamond.

The other half arrows will be added last.

Take the pieces to section 1 and line up the intersections exactly... the drawn lines are your stitching lines...except remember to stop at the intersections.
Start by sewing a black half diamond to the bronze diamond...now sew the gold arrow to the other side of the bronze diamond. That's section 1...set it aside for now.

Take the pieces to section 2 and sew the black half arrow to one side of the bronze diamond. Sew the black diamond to the other side of the bronze diamond. Sew a bronze diamond to the other side of the black diamond. Last...sew a black half arrow to the other side of the bronze diamond.
Set Section 2 aside.

Take the pieces for section 3 and sew the gold arrow to a bronze diamond, now sew a black half diamond to the other side of the bronze diamond. Set aside section 3.

Press all seams as you go ...I usually press to the dark...it's a matter of preferrence...for diamonds, some like to press the seams open...I don't.

Carefully match the seams of section 1 to section 2...Pin if you have to & stitch...don't stop at the inside intersections, except to make sure they match...this will be a single line of stitching to join the to pieces. I leave the outer 1/4" seam unstitched for joining the last pieces...it's just easier for me.

Press.

Now join section 3 to the bottom side of section 1-2 combo. Again, match the seams.

Press.

Now you can add the last black half arrows. This will be almost a y seam. I have learned (Thanks to Alex Anderson) that if I don't stitch inside that 1/4" seam allowance...just right up to it...Y seams are a breeze.
Stitch the short side of the half arrow to the diamond...stich just up to the intersection.
Press
Now stitch the last long seam & press. This should give you a nice border piece.

The things to remember, that you must have are:
1. perfectly cut pieces
2. perfectly marked 1/4" seam lines that intersect at every point/turn.
3. Starch ( I have also used a lightweight fusible interfacing to add body to the pieces cut on bias...but starch is less costly.
4. Don't stitch past the intersection marks.
5. Don't worry if it looks like the diamonds don't match up...if your stitching ends at the intersection on both sides of the unit...you are good...points of diamonds may stick out...you can trim them when you are done.

Hints for next time...before you cut. Learn to do diamonds via strip piecing...so much easier...lol

Mark the seam lines before you cut out the pieces...yes, time consuming...but once you have done several, you can just find the intersection and put a dot there.

Starch your fabrics a lot.

I find that when cutting diamonds...if I cut them on the bias...my edges are then on the straight of grain...stitching is much easier, and I am less likely to stretch the edges..so no wonky seams.

I hope this is clear enough for you.

Originally Posted by seasaw2mch
I have to make this border for a quilt I'm working on but don't know how to go about piecing it together. Can anyone give me a clue to how you would sew it together???
strip pic1 posted by you earlier.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]275771[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-275718.jpe  
Old 10-22-2011, 08:21 PM

duh...your black diamonds and half diamonds are navy blue...lol...you get the idea though.