Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do I sew this??? Need help with figuring this out.

I have to make this border for a quilt I'm working on but don't know how to go about piecing it together. Can anyone give me a clue to how you would sew it together???

this will be 8" wide by about 85" long
    Name:  Attachment-275166.jpe
Views: 43
Size:  14.6 KB

Blog Entries
    I would piece this and I have placed a red line where I would make the different pieces to create this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

draw up a pattern and paper piece the middle part,

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
    :thumbup:

I was hoping to do it without cutting up the pieces. I have already figured out the pieces and cut them out. I'm just not sure how to go at it for sewing them together.

I would paper piece definitely, but I would have to study it and all before I could even begin to tell you how. And definitely make the black outside edges wider for any binding or seams or you will cut off the points on the diamind shapes.

Argh! Wish I had EQ 7 to help. Guess an eraser works pretty good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seasaw2mch
    I was hoping to do it without cutting up the pieces. I have already figured out the pieces and cut them out. I'm just not sure how to go at it for sewing them together.
    Oh. . . I will leave that to the experts! I have no desire to do "Y" seams!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wvdek
    I would paper piece definitely, but I would have to study it and all before I could even begin to tell you how. And definitely make the black outside edges wider for any binding or seams or you will cut off the points on the diamind shapes.

Argh! Wish I had EQ 7 to help. Guess an eraser works pretty good.
    I'm good as far as the outside is concerned because there is another outer border that goes on after this one.

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn

Oh. . . I will leave that to the experts! I have no desire to do "Y" seams!!!!
    I didn't either but it looks like I'm gonna have to learn sooner then later. LOL

Power Poster
    I think it could be sewn with using a diagonal set mind-set - with using shallow y-seams to attach the long strips.

Blog Entries
    I would piece this and I have placed a red line where I would make the different pieces to create this.
    :thumbup:

Now that looks scarey to me. Wouldn't that be an alignment nightmare? Looking longer at it though Bear, I think you have the right idea. Looks almost impossible to get proper angles without paper piecing though. And I don't know how to paper piece. But I think for this project I would learn real quick. I think it would just be far easier...

How can you cut the pieces out already if you're not sure how they're going to go together? That might have been a mistake. You may need to cut oversize and trim when you discover the method you're going to use.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I think it could be sewn with using a diagonal set mind-set - with using shallow y-seams to attach the long strips.
    Thanks I think you have it!!!! I knew someone out there would know how to go at it.

Lots of {{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}} for sure on this one!

Power Poster
    Thanks I think you have it!!!! I knew someone out there would know how to go at it.

Watch a few tutorials on how to do y-seams. Those look like they would be fairly shallow - so I think they would be quite easy to do.

I would also mark the seam lines so that I would get the pieces lined up properly. Sometimes taking that extra few minutes to mark the pieces saves HOURS of aggravation later.

Watch a few tutorials on how to do y-seams. Those look like they would be fairly shallow - so I think they would be quite easy to do.

I would also mark the seam lines so that I would get the pieces lined up properly. Sometimes taking that extra few minutes to mark the pieces saves HOURS of aggravation later.
    Thanks I will do that. I am taking my time with this whole quilt because it's sort of a special one for my oldest son. He's the only one of my kids that I haven't made a quilt for. So now it's his turn.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    yikes..that shallow y seam is a bit scary..I would strip piece it and cut it on the diagonal...where are the math whizzes tonight???

Yup!

I agree and I would consider foundation piecing those diamond segments. Those long diamonds are all bias and they are going to be very stretchy.

Blog Entries
    Practice several techniques on scrap first...see which one lays best :)

Blog Entries
    There's a set of rulers called "Tri-Recs" and "Tri-Mate" that comes with "Easy Angle" that is made specifically for this design. Really easy to make with these tools. Check out Darlene Zimmerman and Joy Hoffman web site to explore further. The red lines help to see where the actual block is, and the strips are quite simple to attach. Good luck...and have fun!

I have to make this border for a quilt I'm working on but don't know how to go about piecing it together. Can anyone give me a clue to how you would sew it together???

Power Poster
    I would also consider just piecing the center diamonds and then attaching the long strips.

It would be a lot easier to handle this way and no y-seams -

the OP said she wanted to avoid extra seams -

I would also consider just piecing the center diamonds and then attaching the long strips.

It would be a lot easier to handle this way and no y-seams -

the OP said she wanted to avoid extra seams -
    I played around with the Y seams last night and was thinking that the way you show it here might be my best way. It's not so bad because I won't be cutting up the diamonds which Is what I didn't want to do. So with all this said, I really think joining it at that point for the long straight sides will not be a problem.

Again thanks.

ditto ....... and am looking forward to seeing what the quilt is!

We should have held out, and not given any help til we saw the quilt! (Kidding! :))

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE

We should have held out, and not given any help til we saw the quilt! (Kidding! :))
    here's the middle part of it
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-162343-1.htm

Bingo - exactly what I would do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast