Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43

Thread: How do I sew this??? Need help with figuring this out.

  1. #1
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,293
    I have to make this border for a quilt I'm working on but don't know how to go about piecing it together. Can anyone give me a clue to how you would sew it together???

    this will be 8" wide by about 85" long
    Name:  Attachment-275166.jpe
Views: 43
Size:  14.6 KB

  2. #2
    Super Member auntpiggylpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan. . .FINALLY!!!!
    Posts
    6,916
    Blog Entries
    1
    I would piece this and I have placed a red line where I would make the different pieces to create this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #3
    Super Member Dolphyngyrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    5,699
    draw up a pattern and paper piece the middle part,

  4. #4
    Super Member auntpiggylpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan. . .FINALLY!!!!
    Posts
    6,916
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
    draw up a pattern and paper piece the middle part,
    :thumbup:

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,293
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
    draw up a pattern and paper piece the middle part,
    I was hoping to do it without cutting up the pieces. I have already figured out the pieces and cut them out. I'm just not sure how to go at it for sewing them together.

  6. #6
    Super Member wvdek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    A million dollar view!
    Posts
    8,889
    I would paper piece definitely, but I would have to study it and all before I could even begin to tell you how. And definitely make the black outside edges wider for any binding or seams or you will cut off the points on the diamind shapes.


    Argh! Wish I had EQ 7 to help. Guess an eraser works pretty good.

  7. #7
    Super Member auntpiggylpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan. . .FINALLY!!!!
    Posts
    6,916
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by seasaw2mch
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
    draw up a pattern and paper piece the middle part,
    I was hoping to do it without cutting up the pieces. I have already figured out the pieces and cut them out. I'm just not sure how to go at it for sewing them together.
    Oh. . . I will leave that to the experts! I have no desire to do "Y" seams!!!!

  8. #8
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,293
    Quote Originally Posted by wvdek
    I would paper piece definitely, but I would have to study it and all before I could even begin to tell you how. And definitely make the black outside edges wider for any binding or seams or you will cut off the points on the diamind shapes.


    Argh! Wish I had EQ 7 to help. Guess an eraser works pretty good.
    I'm good as far as the outside is concerned because there is another outer border that goes on after this one.

  9. #9
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,293
    Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn

    Oh. . . I will leave that to the experts! I have no desire to do "Y" seams!!!!
    I didn't either but it looks like I'm gonna have to learn sooner then later. LOL

  10. #10
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    19,745
    I think it could be sewn with using a diagonal set mind-set - with using shallow y-seams to attach the long strips.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  11. #11
    Moderator QuiltnNan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    western NY formerly MN, FL, NC, SC
    Posts
    42,919
    Blog Entries
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
    I would piece this and I have placed a red line where I would make the different pieces to create this.
    :thumbup:

  12. #12
    Super Member M.I.Late's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Spring, Texas
    Posts
    2,357
    Now that looks scarey to me. Wouldn't that be an alignment nightmare? Looking longer at it though Bear, I think you have the right idea. Looks almost impossible to get proper angles without paper piecing though. And I don't know how to paper piece. But I think for this project I would learn real quick. I think it would just be far easier...

    How can you cut the pieces out already if you're not sure how they're going to go together? That might have been a mistake. You may need to cut oversize and trim when you discover the method you're going to use.

  13. #13
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,293
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I think it could be sewn with using a diagonal set mind-set - with using shallow y-seams to attach the long strips.
    Thanks I think you have it!!!! I knew someone out there would know how to go at it.

    Lots of {{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}} for sure on this one!

  14. #14
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    19,745
    Quote Originally Posted by seasaw2mch
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I think it could be sewn with using a diagonal set mind-set - with using shallow y-seams to attach the long strips.
    Thanks I think you have it!!!! I knew someone out there would know how to go at it.

    Lots of {{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}} for sure on this one!
    Watch a few tutorials on how to do y-seams. Those look like they would be fairly shallow - so I think they would be quite easy to do.

    I would also mark the seam lines so that I would get the pieces lined up properly. Sometimes taking that extra few minutes to mark the pieces saves HOURS of aggravation later.

  15. #15
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,293
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Quote Originally Posted by seasaw2mch
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I think it could be sewn with using a diagonal set mind-set - with using shallow y-seams to attach the long strips.
    Thanks I think you have it!!!! I knew someone out there would know how to go at it.

    Lots of {{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}} for sure on this one!
    Watch a few tutorials on how to do y-seams. Those look like they would be fairly shallow - so I think they would be quite easy to do.

    I would also mark the seam lines so that I would get the pieces lined up properly. Sometimes taking that extra few minutes to mark the pieces saves HOURS of aggravation later.
    Thanks I will do that. I am taking my time with this whole quilt because it's sort of a special one for my oldest son. He's the only one of my kids that I haven't made a quilt for. So now it's his turn.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    yikes..that shallow y seam is a bit scary..I would strip piece it and cut it on the diagonal...where are the math whizzes tonight???

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    984
    Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
    I would piece this and I have placed a red line where I would make the different pieces to create this.
    Yup!

  18. #18
    Super Member grandjan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Posts
    1,053
    Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
    I would piece this and I have placed a red line where I would make the different pieces to create this.
    I agree and I would consider foundation piecing those diamond segments. Those long diamonds are all bias and they are going to be very stretchy.

  19. #19
    Senior Member adnil458's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    564
    Blog Entries
    35
    Practice several techniques on scrap first...see which one lays best :)

  20. #20
    Member NannyPat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    western NC mountains
    Posts
    46
    Blog Entries
    1
    There's a set of rulers called "Tri-Recs" and "Tri-Mate" that comes with "Easy Angle" that is made specifically for this design. Really easy to make with these tools. Check out Darlene Zimmerman and Joy Hoffman web site to explore further. The red lines help to see where the actual block is, and the strips are quite simple to attach. Good luck...and have fun!


    Quote Originally Posted by seasaw2mch
    I have to make this border for a quilt I'm working on but don't know how to go about piecing it together. Can anyone give me a clue to how you would sew it together???

  21. #21
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    19,745
    I would also consider just piecing the center diamonds and then attaching the long strips.

    It would be a lot easier to handle this way and no y-seams -

    the OP said she wanted to avoid extra seams -
    Attached Images Attached Images

  22. #22
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,293
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I would also consider just piecing the center diamonds and then attaching the long strips.

    It would be a lot easier to handle this way and no y-seams -

    the OP said she wanted to avoid extra seams -
    I played around with the Y seams last night and was thinking that the way you show it here might be my best way. It's not so bad because I won't be cutting up the diamonds which Is what I didn't want to do. So with all this said, I really think joining it at that point for the long straight sides will not be a problem.

    Again thanks.

  23. #23
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
    draw up a pattern and paper piece the middle part,
    ditto ....... and am looking forward to seeing what the quilt is!

    We should have held out, and not given any help til we saw the quilt! (Kidding! :))

  24. #24
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,293
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE

    We should have held out, and not given any help til we saw the quilt! (Kidding! :))
    here's the middle part of it
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-162343-1.htm

  25. #25
    Super Member Wunder-Mar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
    I would piece this and I have placed a red line where I would make the different pieces to create this.
    Bingo - exactly what I would do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.