Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how to do wavy border? >

how to do wavy border?

how to do wavy border?

Old 05-18-2009, 10:27 AM
Izy

Here's a link to it!!

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://softexpressions.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/nN/WaveEdge50.jpg&imgrefurl=http://softexpressions.com/software/...zNeXEbpDbP6MeM:&tbnh=85&tbnw=40&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dolfa%2Bwavy%2Bborder%2Brule%26ndsp%3D 20%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4SUNA_enES268ES269%26sa%3DN %26start%3D20%26um%3D1

Just scroll down quite a bit and click on the link to it, it's on the right hand side of the page :D
Old 05-18-2009, 10:43 AM
Banned

my quilt borders typically have odd shapes.

i don't cut the odd shapes until i'm done with the top this way nothing stretches out of shape.

i'll square up the quilt top - then i fold it in half lengthwise lining up the border for both sides and then i cut the shape, then i fold it in half widthwise lining up the border for both sides and then i cut the shape.

i do my border shaping free hand with the rotary cutter you don't need a ruler to cut a wavy line and by folding the quilt and lining up the border you'll achieve an exact copy on each side.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:56 PM

I like that wavy ruler, but don't want to spend that much. I think I will draft my own pattern. Maybe I can do something on the computer and replicate it onto a long sheet of paper.

I did speak with someone at my LQS, who also suggested sewing first and cutting after. Makes more sense to me that way to help prevent distortion.

Thanks for the ideas! :) I won't be able to work on it till the weekend, but will post a picture when I get it done (or close).
Old 05-23-2009, 09:00 PM

i may have missed this while i was gone but has anyone suggested finishing the waves by using a facing instead of binding? this would keep the off-grain curved edges from, hmm, waving.

simply cut another layer of fabric, backing or coordinating, using the existing edges as a template. sew, right sides together, 1/4" from raw edge, clip where absolutely necessary, turn, topstitch or handstitch 1/4" in from the edge to hold in place and hem on the back. makes a nice frame if you use a different fabric than the quilt back. this is a commonly used method for finishing an odd-shaped edge.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
i may have missed this while i was gone but has anyone suggested finishing the waves by using a facing instead of binding? this would keep the off-grain curved edges from, hmm, waving.

simply cut another layer of fabric, backing or coordinating, using the existing edges as a template. sew, right sides together, 1/4" from raw edge, clip where absolutely necessary, turn, topstitch or handstitch 1/4" in from the edge to hold in place and hem on the back. makes a nice frame if you use a different fabric than the quilt back. this is a commonly used method for finishing an odd-shaped edge.
If I try this, what about the batting? Do I need to trim it back more to reduce the bulk?
Old 05-24-2009, 07:19 AM

go to:

http://www.adventurequilter.com/

choose 'learn with ellen'

choose 'free articles -directory'

choose 'facing' (about 1/2 way down the list).

she gives three methods. i like method three.

in answer to your question, the edge stitching holds everything done, so plan some decorative stitching close to the edge. maybe just follow the wave once or twice.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:51 AM

http://pir8.freeservers.com/quilting/

This is the best site EVER for instructions on how to do most things. Go half way down the page and you will see a section of four different finishes for wavy edges.

Hope this helps......
Old 05-24-2009, 11:55 AM

Have you thought about using freezer paper? Measure your border, cut freezer paper to that length, fold the freezer paper the number of times you want your repeat and work from there. The links given above probably tell you the same thing, but I have dial up here at home and didn't check them out. BTW you can cut the freezer paper in stips the width you need and you should be able to make 2 patterns and use them for opposite borders! Hope this makes some sense. :?