Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you all do it? >
  • How do you all do it?

• How do you all do it?

Old 05-18-2011, 09:58 PM

I'm glad to see I'm not alone when it comes to "hoarding" my quilts. Those close to me all quilt themselves & the others, I fear, wouldn't appreciate the gesture. So, the pile grows higher.
    Old 05-18-2011, 11:14 PM

If you need one to give away and like it that much, just make a duplicate for yourself
    Old 05-18-2011, 11:25 PM

If you like a giveaway quilt, make a duplicate for yourself.
    Another suggestion, use up stash in the colors you seldom use - I'm more likely to want to keep a quilt if the colors are my favorites.
    Old 05-19-2011, 01:16 AM
    klc

Sorry - duplicated message. Please delete this one.
    Old 05-19-2011, 01:19 AM
    klc

[quote=Charlee]Once, when a friend (Navajo woman) gave me a silver and turquoise bracelet that her grandmother had made and given to her, I asked her if she was sure that she wanted to give up something that had to be ever so special to her. Her answer to me was this:
    "The same grandmother once told me that a gift means nothing if it means nothing to you. I wanted my gift to you to mean something."

Very well put and very true.
    Old 05-19-2011, 01:26 AM

You know, this ia a real problem! As said, make them in colors you personally don't really like for your own quilts, and make them with the idea they are not your quilts from the get go.

Think of makng a quilt like this as a learning project? If I amke a quilt, in my colors, it can ONLY go to family.
    Julie :roll:
    Old 05-19-2011, 03:53 AM
    Power Poster

If I donate a quilt I just make a pretty strippy scrappy quilt, unless its to a auction or something that you want the people to get a lot of money for it. Those aren't aren't to hard to give away and they are fast and easy.
    Old 05-19-2011, 09:32 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I guess its just so hard to let one go 'cause I really dont know who the recipient is going to be.. And will it be appreciated, will it get stuffed in a closet, will it be a moving blanket, or will it be loved..

I have started on the third quilt and I am telling myself this one is not mine but still..... Why does it feel like I'm going to give away my arm ?!?!?!
    Old 05-19-2011, 09:39 AM

I have the same problem ~ I never want to get rid of them, so I have decided that the only way I can keep from being buried in an avalanche of quilts is to only keep what I can display. I have room for about 5, not counting what's on the bed, so each time I finish one I really like, I put them all side by side and pick the one that I like the least, then either put it on ebay or give it to someone. I take pictures too and keep them on my computer and in my quilt photo book. It's just like the one I have for my grandkids, so when people inquire I can just whip it out of my purse and show off! Good luck with your "quilters anxiety".
    Old 05-19-2011, 09:44 AM

Just think -
    If you give up one know you do not need to find a place for it in your house and you can go fabric shopping!!!!!!!