Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Do You Bind? >

How Do You Bind?

How Do You Bind?

Old 07-13-2019, 02:19 PM

I cut my binding 2 1/4" cold in half and machine stitch to the back. Cold to the front and machine stitch usually with a decorative stitch. Have used the flange method that looks nice for a different look.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:42 PM
Power Poster

I sew my bindings on by machine, both sides. Like quilting it takes practice.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:56 PM
Power Poster

Mostly, I attach with the machine then stitch by hand.
Then I turn something mindless on the TV or listen to some good tunes,
and the stitches fly by with the time!

Sometimes, I do a flange binding, totally by machine.

Though ..... does anyone have the technique to do the flange the other way???
What I'd really like to do is a flange stitched by machine to the front,
then hand stitched to the back.

Anyone who can give me that how-to, will be a true hero!!!
Old 07-13-2019, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

I used to do it Donna Jordan's way, but it required so much pinning, all the way around. That took so much time! So now I have gotten pretty fast at sewing it on the back, folding to the front, and top stitching very close to the edge. It saves so much time and looks fine to me.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Libits View Post
Yep, that's my problem, too. I can get the binding sewn on the back with a Perfect 1/4" seam but when I turn it to the front and start stitching it down, it somehow is no longer perfect. I just don't understand it.
Libits, What happens when the binding "is no longer perfect" for you? Is there too much binding on one side of the fold? Are there troubles at the corner folds?

Try stitching the binding onto the quilt using a 3/8 " seam allowance for 2 1/2 inch binding. Stop stitching 3/8 inch before the corner so you still have the 45 degree angle.

I stitch the binding onto the back and bring to the front. Binding is completed with machine and no hand stitching.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:31 PM

I’ve done it several ways but am most satisfied with results when I sew to front, hand bind to the back.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:38 PM
Power Poster

There are at least three kinds of quilts to me. They each have a different type binding treatment. The ones that will be drug around and abused, the middle type that it doesn't matter if it is machine sewn on both sides, and the this is my masterpiece or for show quilts that require hand sewing to the back. If you think about it, some quilts aren't as critical to have everything perfect as others. Now that isn't to say it is sloppy work ever. But, I value my time while sewing and don't do as much hand sewing on the binding as I used to. Whichever one you use, make SURE it is squared up before starting the binding. It will make for a lovely finish and make your life easier while binding.
There is a lady who shows how to perfectly sew on binding by machine on U Tube. You could go and check her video out.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 07-13-2019 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:16 PM

I machine sew to the front, and hand sew on back. I use an Ott light while hand sewing, and it sure makes a difference in what you can see. My friend doesn't like the binding part of a quilting so I do them for her. Another tip about binding make sure it is full (batting) esp. when entering in a quilt show.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:17 PM

Generally I machine sew (2.5") to front and hand stitch to back. But if more hurried I'll do like Feline Fanatic and use a faux flange (thanks for tip of using Monopoly, I've been matching the flange but the invisible thread makes much more sense). If it's a kid quilt I will sometimes machine stitch to back, bring to front and use a decorative stitch on front.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:44 PM

no more hand sewing for me. My hands don't work that way the older I get So I sew to the back first by machine and then pick a fancy stitch on my machine and sew it down to the front. Works for me. My quilts are given to family and friends to be used and they don't really care which way I do it