Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EPP GFG - botched beyond repair by adhesive? >

EPP GFG - botched beyond repair by adhesive?

EPP GFG - botched beyond repair by adhesive?

Old 07-15-2019, 03:55 PM

Default EPP GFG - botched beyond repair by adhesive?

I am working on my first EPP project. I followed the instructions in the kit, which told me to use double-stick tape to attach the fabric to the papers before basting. I've now got a queen-size quilt top covered in adhesive residue from the tape.

I am heartbroken and frustrated. I'm not sure if Carbona Stain Devil will dissolve the adhesive (even if I bought dozens of bottles of it) without me agitating the quilt, which I really don't want to do, because I'd end up with a stretched and frayed mess.

Does anyone have experience with something like this? Should I try to salvage the quilt top or cut my losses?
Old 07-15-2019, 04:43 PM

Did you press with the tape in place? At this point I think I would make one GFG motif with the sticky tape and residue. Manually remove as much of the paper and tape residue, as possible, and quilt that one flower with batting and backing. Launder it and see what it's like. Does the tape residue bleed through to the front? Any attempt to wet the quilt top to remove the residue before the quilt is made will likely ruin all the work you have put into it. I am so sorry that this has happened to you.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by MsHeirloom View Post
Did you press with the tape in place?
I have not ironed the tape at all. I am not sure why I has stuck so badly to many of the squares. The adhesive does not show through, but I fear that it will make the sandwich impossible to quilt either by hand or machine.

Thanks for your advice. I will sandwich and launder one flower to see how it looks and will likely end up considering this a very, very, very, very, very time-consuming and expensive learning experience.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:13 AM
Power Poster

I have used the double sided tape before but it was removable double sided. There is a new sewing machine that is for sewing adhesives. The adhesives does not stick to the needle. https://www.schmetzneedles.com/categ...ick-Needles-69
Old 07-16-2019, 04:13 AM

1. You can contact the tape company for advice on how to remove the residue.

2. Try a sample or scrap piece of fabric and see if it rinses out.

3. Try to remove the residue with alcohol. Wet a small makeup remover pad, gauze, or even scrap batting and rub.

Hope something works for you!
Old 07-16-2019, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I have used the double sided tape before but it was removable double sided. There is a new sewing machine that is for sewing adhesives. The adhesives does not stick to the needle. https://www.schmetzneedles.com/categ...ick-Needles-69

Oops not a sewing machine but new sewing machine needles.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-16-2019 at 07:53 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-16-2019, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

Have you tried any products like Goo Gone?
Old 07-16-2019, 10:18 AM

Stick the tape to some leftover scrap fabric and then experiment with that scrap to figure out what dissolves the glue before putting anything on your quilt top. Acetone (finger nail polish remover) dissolves a lot of gluey substances But it might damage the fabric.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-16-2019 at 11:03 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-16-2019, 10:46 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about your tape problem. Your post made me cry a little. I'm in the middle of a GFG and I have never used glue or tape on my hexagons. I baste them with thread and now I'm really glad I do. I hope you are able to fix your quilt.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:53 PM

Take a another piece of tape and stick it on the residue. Press firmly and lift. See if the residue comes off.