Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you calculate yardage needed for backing? >
  • How do you calculate yardage needed for backing?

• How do you calculate yardage needed for backing?

Old 01-07-2020, 05:45 AM

Default How do you calculate yardage needed for backing?

I am making a quilt top that will be 88” x 90”, how do I calculate the amount of yardage needed to make backing for it? I don’t want to buy wide backing, I want to use yardage I have on hand.
    Old 01-07-2020, 06:02 AM
    Power Poster

Ha, ha,ha...laughing at your list game. To figure backing I calculate length times width adding 4 inches to each measurement; then divide by 36 two times. So for your quilt 88 +4 x 90 +4= 92 x 94 = 8648/36/36 = 6.672 yards Round up to 7 yards and you will have plenty. Hope that makes sense.
    Old 01-07-2020, 06:03 AM

Keep in mind that 44x2 is 88. This will be a tight fit since your quilt is 88x90 The length at 90" would would be 90/36= 2.5 yards. You always want to have 6" on each side if you were having it long armed. If you are doing it yourself leave a few inches where ever possible.
    On this quilt I think your best bet would be to get a wide backing piece of backing as it is cutting it to close for comfort on the width. With a 108x 2.5 yards you would have more than enough.
    Old 01-07-2020, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Homespun
    Ha, ha,ha...laughing at your list game. To figure backing I calculate length times width adding 4 inches to each measurement; then divide by 36 two times. So for your quilt 88 +4 x 90 +4= 92 x 94 = 8648/36/36 = 6.672 yards Round up to 7 yards and you will have plenty. Hope that makes sense.
    Thank you homespun! That makes sense, it sounds easy now that I see it in print.
    Old 01-07-2020, 06:39 AM

Having fabric big enough for backs is a constant problem for me. I do prefer to use extra wide but I don't always have it or the budget and I have a lot of stash... I rarely buy anything more than 3 yard pieces so one thing I've learned a lot about backs is piecing them. Most backs are 6 yards minimum to 9 yards plus.

Ok, as already mentioned 88 inches is the maximum two pieces of fabric sewn together is going to give you. Mostly, I count on fabric as only being 40" usable and I use the mantra it is better to be half a yard too much than 2 inches too short.

When piecing backs, you want to avoid seams on the fold line, that is directly in the middle of the quilt. The "standard" way is to have one long piece in the middle and cut the other piece in half the long way, with those narrow halves on either side of the full middle. But sometimes your fabric fits best in the middle and so you say fine, be like that and don't worry about it.

For your project, I don't see much in the way of getting out of buying 9 yards. You won't use it all. You can do it for less.

I decided that if I was going to piece backs anyway, I might as well start adding in some extra fabrics. I use leftovers from the top, related theme fabrics too big of scale, or other things.
    Attached Thumbnails piecing-back.jpg  
    Old 01-07-2020, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom
    Having fabric big enough for backs is a constant problem for me. I do prefer to use extra wide but I don't always have it or the budget and I have a lot of stash... I rarely buy anything more than 3 yard pieces so one thing I've learned a lot about backs is piecing them. Most backs are 6 yards minimum to 9 yards plus.

Ok, as already mentioned 88 inches is the maximum two pieces of fabric sewn together is going to give you. Mostly, I count on fabric as only being 40" usable and I use the mantra it is better to be half a yard too much than 2 inches too short.

When piecing backs, you want to avoid seams on the fold line, that is directly in the middle of the quilt. The "standard" way is to have one long piece in the middle and cut the other piece in half the long way, with those narrow halves on either side of the full middle. But sometimes your fabric fits best in the middle and so you say fine, be like that and don't worry about it.

For your project, I don't see much in the way of getting out of buying 9 yards. You won't use it all. You can do it for less.

I decided that if I was going to piece backs anyway, I might as well start adding in some extra fabrics. I use leftovers from the top, related theme fabrics too big of scale, or other things.

I didn't even consider using 3 pieces across for the back. I have done this many times but it was not in my thoughts when I made my original post to this thread.
    Old 01-07-2020, 07:16 AM
    Power Poster

This is a question for the ages. There is no single right answer that works for all quilts and all quilters. Do you need 3-4" all around for a longarmer? If not, how much extra do you need? What width of usable fabric can you count on? (I generally figure I can get 40", no more, but sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised and wind up with as much as 42".) Do you mind doing lots of piecing, or do you really want just 2 or 3 widths of fabric running down the back? (Keep in mind that a longarmer wants to mount the quilt with backing seams running across the poles, not up and down. If yours run up and down, can your quilt be mounted sideways and still be quilted with the design you want?) Is your fabric directional, or do you need and want to match motifs when piecing it? Do you have scraps from the front, or other fabrics in your stash that can be used to augment the backing fabric? Do you even like pieced backs?

I'm always amazed how long it can take me to make a quilt back. I shouldn't be, because there can be a lot of sewing, a lot of measuring, and since it's done without a pattern there's also a lot of thought involved.
    Old 01-07-2020, 07:21 AM

In the horizontal layout, remember you are working with parts of a yard in the cut direction, but the WoF in the other direction. Depending on how wide/long you need it is 7-9 yards.

So when you have almost enough with the two WoF sections, you can cut a an additional yard into three pieces for that center piece. That gives you (3) 12xWoF (we'll say 40") so 12x120" plenty long enough. It's a good place to piece in a label! That would be the 7 yard option.

But if you need it wider than that and you want the fewest seams, then it is an additional 3 yard piece and you will have a long usable left over for another project.

I typically press open, if you send to a long arm person ask them what they prefer, I believe most are open as well and I use .5" seams for the backs, not the standard .25".

This is quilting but it is also geometry and it is actually fun and there are many ways to do stuff. Maybe someone who does the slice on the diagonal technique will weigh in and help us, it's a great way of getting just a few more usable inches of fabric out of our rectangles. I don't do it, I piece in all sorts of stuff instead, but it's a great technique for when you are otherwise just a couple of inches short on your fabric.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 01-07-2020 at 07:24 AM.
    Old 01-07-2020, 07:36 AM

For any quilt calculations needed, I go to http://www.mywebquilter.com . It's the best, easiest free online calculator I have found . You don't have to do any math

Last edited by rvsfan; 01-07-2020 at 07:42 AM.
    Old 01-07-2020, 09:53 AM

Other thoughts: I'm a believer in printed backings and I love big bold prints but rarely can figure out how to use them other than as a back. But the advantage of a nice print is it hides a multitudes of quilting sins like the little pookies or tucks that manage to creep in the back.

I've found that the extra wide backs at Joann rarely go on sale with the rest of the quilting fabrics and so you can often use the 50% off coupon for them. That often makes them very attractive to me price- and time-wise but I'm really trying to use stash. Think of your back as an extremely large block!

I am also not opposed to using sheets as the back, there can be some differences in the weave or weight but not enough to bug me, either on my domestic or the long arm. Beware that your quilting skills should be quite high to use a solid.