Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I buy a HQ Sweet Sixteen >

Should I buy a HQ Sweet Sixteen

Should I buy a HQ Sweet Sixteen

Old 01-07-2020, 04:56 AM

Default Should I buy a HQ Sweet Sixteen

I am looking at purchasing a HQ Sweet Sixteen. Allegedly its new, never been used (simply set up in their sewing room). Comes with a table, 2 extensions and a thread regulator. They are asking $5,000. I will ask when it was purchased and where to see if there is a warranty but not sure if that would even transfer to me. Is $5,000 a good price?
Old 01-07-2020, 05:07 AM

If you are talking about the Sweet Sixteen midarm that you stand up at and it is new that is a good price. I agree find out who she bought it from, you can contact them to see about the warranty and also check what they sell it for. I used to have one but upgraded to the Alante to get more quilting space. I liked the 16 and like this new one too. Ask the dealer if they offer any classes on it, they sure do help.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

Hi and welcome to the QB. Only you can make the determination if that is a good price. Brand new they sell for around $6K so they are discounting it $1K. HQ are good machines and HQ stands behind them and offers customer support on 3rd party sales but the warranty may not be transferable even if it is still under warranty. I would definitely want to try it out before buying it.

https://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/h...SABEgLt0fD_BwE
Old 01-07-2020, 07:51 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by ka9sdn View Post
If you are talking about the Sweet Sixteen midarm that you stand up at and it is new that is a good price.
Sounds like the sit-down version since it mentions 2 extensions. The stand up is the Simply Sixteen.

I have seen Sweet Sixteens usually in the $3-4K range on FB Marketplace and Craigslist.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:49 PM

I would call the manufacturer and ask if the warranty is transferable. If it isn't, you are only saving 995.00 over a brand new machine from sewing machines plus. According to their site, the 2 table extensions go for 398.00. I would insist on trying it first.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:05 PM

I have a Tiara which is the Sweet Sixteen made by Handi Quilter, under the Baby Lock name. Granted, mine is a number of years old, but had less than 500,000 stitches on it when I bought it so it was basically not even broken in. Get the serial number and find out exactly what year this Sweetie was made. That will tell you a lot about how much it is going for used.

You can check on the monitor to see how many stitches it. That will show you whether it has been "never used" or not. Besides, "never used" is not necessarily a good thing with these machines. They are industrial machines and need to be kept oiled constantly. Be sure to oil it before you try it out. Jamie Wallen has a very good video on this so have a look before you go to try it.

Does it come with the kit which includes the oiler, and hex wrench and little screw driver, directions and all that?

Mine came with the Stitch Regulator, which I sold and if you read around you'll see that most people don't use them after awhile, so you'll have to decide how valuable that is to you. Mine didn't come with the extension tables, which are really nice, but did come with an auto bobbin winder which is really important. Does this one come with that?

I paid less than $2800.00 for mine and got a whole bunch of rulers and books thrown in.

So, unless the warranty is transferable, I don't think it's a fantastic deal, myself. I would look around and see what else you can find and make them an offer closer to the prices you find.

And, make sure it comes with all the stuff.

Watson
Old 01-08-2020, 05:12 AM

They are selling used in my area for $2500. with a stitch regulator which is a $1,000. option. If you can get the serial number from the seller you can call Handi Quilter. Give them the serial number and they can tell you the age, if it's ever been registered and to whom. 801-292-7988. On the top of the machine there should be a small computer looking thing about 4" square. Ask the seller to give you the software version. You can give that information to Handi Quilter and they can tell you if it needs upgrading and a price for that. Find out if you have a dealer and repair person close to you and if they make house calls, and what is the cost of service. The machine weighs about 50 pounds, can you carry that to the shop?
Old 01-08-2020, 05:15 AM

Warranty and maintenance are big deals. Sometimes it's worth paying more to get that. Some dealers are nice and some are very stubborn about resales. Especially if they don't get a trade in. I have a friend trying to sell an embroidery machine that is way over priced. She never got familiar with it but, who wants to purchase an expensive machine with no guarantees.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:01 PM
Power Poster

All I want to say is Welcome to this board and good luck. Lots of good info here.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:17 PM

Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan. The price sounds good to me from what I have been seeing for the Sweet 16. I wish I were finding one like that in these parts.