Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you choose coordinating fabrics? >

How do you choose coordinating fabrics?

How do you choose coordinating fabrics?

Old 05-13-2011, 06:24 PM

I take my husband with me. He is very good about picking out fabrics that will go together!
Old 05-13-2011, 06:59 PM

If you are not comfortable with using a color wheel, you could try the 3 in 1 Color Tool by Joen Wolfram. It is a great tool. You pick the color you like, and on that tab it show the tones and shades
(+ white and +black of a color) and on the back are color group suggestions that show the colors and where each grouping falls on the color wheel.

Product Description: Create eye-pleasing color combinations with this indispensable tool for quilting, crafts, home decor, knitting, sewing, scrapbooking, floral design, fine arts, and lots more! Based on the Ives color wheel, the 3-in-1 Color Tool helps you choose or match colors with complete accuracy. It fits easily into your purse or glove box, so don t leave home without it. PICK a favorite color or fabric MATCH the color to one of the 24 Color Cards and 100s of individual swatches, numbered for your convenience CHOOSE a color scheme from the 6 options provided for each color FIND the Color Card for each color in the color scheme SELECT fabrics or other colored items that match the Color Cards

If all else fails, look at the color way along the selvedge edge to see what colors were used to print the fabric. Match those.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-196691.jpe  
Old 05-13-2011, 07:02 PM

I use a "door viewer" to preview some of the fabrics. You can find them at the hardware store. I keep one in my sewing bag and I keep one in my sewing room. They come in variouse sizes but I have one that is medium. You can lay out the quilt and take a look without backing up much!
Old 05-13-2011, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
I found this site a while back and its sooo much fun playing with the different colors.

http://colorschemedesigner.com/
I love this one!
Old 05-14-2011, 11:41 AM

I pick my focus color first and then go from there
Old 05-16-2011, 12:30 AM

I will usually ask a friend who has a good "eye" for color. Anything to make an excuse to shop at LQS. ;)
Old 05-16-2011, 02:34 AM

I have the same problem.