Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Do You Connect Blocks? >

How Do You Connect Blocks?

How Do You Connect Blocks?

Old 06-15-2016, 10:41 AM

Quite a long time ago, someone posted a link for getting a grid such as dunster mentions. It can be printed out, cut, and used to pin on each block. I wish I could be of more help, but someone will remember the post. I mark the first block on the row and stack each from left to right. If it's complicated or a day my brain isn't wrapped around too tight, OR a day I need the exercise, I do as WAtson does. Walk to the bed in the room across the hall, pick up two blocks, walk back and sew. When all of the row is sewed in pairs, I stack pairs left to right then walk to the utility room to press seams. etc, etc, etc.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:44 AM
Power Poster

Well, my best success rather than get up and get one at a time is Eleanor Burns method of vertical rows. Fold over right over left, first one on top, second, etc. If I manage to get them to the machine in the right direction, this goes pretty fast. But I've been known to turn the stack in the two steps it takes. Lately I've put a pin on the right side of the first one and put them down in that direction. Then the third and fourth, etc, and then put them together and then the horizontal seams. I leave them all connected after the "assembly line sewing" and then they go over the horizontal rows and match up pretty well. For me. I am not so good at the precision.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...lp-t96167.html
Old 06-15-2016, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

I make number tags from scraps of fabric. You can number them 1A, 1B, 1C then with the second row 2A, 2B, 2C. I have gotten use to just using 1-# of blocks.
Attached Thumbnails falling-charms-pinkorange.jpg  
Old 06-15-2016, 11:09 AM

I also use OnebyOne, and Stitchrippers' method. one of my beginning quilts was a Trip Around The World in a class and we numbered each row with a pinned paper. Then we stacked the blocks starting from the top, pinned through all of the stack ( in case you drop one). Then sew 2 onto 1, 3 onto 2 etc.

This was chain piecing so I was careful not to break the thread between the blocks, then I just sewed across.

I taught this method to a childrens class (10 -12 yr old). It took a little explaining but they learn
Old 06-15-2016, 11:44 AM

I do all of the above, whichever strikes me at the time....and then I get to rip, because I have the ability to turn and sew one upside down, no matter where I put the paper telling me which way to do it. I usually don't see the error until I take a picture when I am going to sew the rows together. I have a Love/hate relationship with my ripper. But it is always my best friend.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:45 AM
Power Poster

There is a reason to leave 1/2" thread tail between chain piecing rows. Anyone know what the 1/2" thread tail will do for you? Little tips like this you get in classes that make quilting so much easier.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:18 PM

i'm pretty much self taught. Bonnie Hunter & the internet weren't around when i first started quilting, EB was just starting out also, none of her great ideas were in print yet. i've developed many easier ways or short cuts to do things when piecing quilts, making quilys over the decades.

my way of doing rows of blocks ..
across top or diagonally from top left corner ..pin block to nxt block etc across the row. sit down & stitch all these blocks together. pin sewn row back to wall. do following rows same way till all sewn. then start adding row one to next row, then add next row to bottom edge of first two rows etc till done. since i've gotten my ipad i can take pics of arrangements and compare until i decide on arrangement i like. if helpful furry friends disturb things while i'm sewing things together, i have the ipad pic to replace all on wall in correct arrangement.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:36 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I piece in an old twosie-foursie method like this to prevent having to sew lots of long rows together and matching their points:

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails twosie-foursie-1.jpg   twosie-foursie-2.jpg  

Last edited by Jan in VA; 06-15-2016 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I stack them vertically, number the stack 1,2, 3 etc. and then sew stack 2 to stack 1, then stack 3 to stack 2. Learn this in a class from Libby Libman. Works with small quilts or king size quilts. Eleanor Burns uses a technique like this too. Bonnie Hunter sews blocks together this way and calls it webbing the quilt together.
That's what I do. Most of the time I end up sewing the wrong sides together, so I started marking the left side block with a pin. That way I recognize the sewing order/orientation.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
Mine is a little convoluted but it beats having to go up and down a stool.
I put white stickers on blue painters tape. (Why can't they make white
painters tape? Masking tape is too sticky). Mark each block by row....so
it's A1, A2, A3.. then B1, B2, B3, etc. Then after I've stuck all those stickers
on each block, I take lots of pictures. Then I take the blocks down...even
if it's not in order I have the stickers and photos to guide me to put them
back in order before sewing. I've been doing it for years and this system
has never failed me.
I mark my rows the same way by laying them on my bed (I don't have a design wall) and it works great for me!