Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do YOU conquer quilter's block? >

How do YOU conquer quilter's block?

How do YOU conquer quilter's block?

Old 02-28-2011, 01:47 AM

My beloved puppy, BooBoo, died in Nov. and I have had quilters block. I just need to push myself harder to get going I guess.
This is Layla. I got her for Christmas.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:45 AM

I have found that if I go into the sewing room and straighten up, clean, declutter - just get in there and do something - that I can get started back on a sewing project.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:12 AM

I could be the long winter and not enough sun shine. Try taking vitamin D3. That may help. You can't take to much of it and my Dr. told me in the winter be sure and take at least 1000 ICU's. It helps with SADS also.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:32 AM
nab

I'm with you. I go sit in my room and eventually get up turn off the light and go do something else. This last weekend I did pull out all my finished quilt tops that need to be quilted. I have 35. I want to start with the smaller ones that I can quilt on my regular machine and then decide what to do with the big ones. Anyway, they are still sitting where I left them. My friend came over and we went to the quilt shop and I bought another project. I hope it will get me started again.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:45 AM

If there are to many things staring you in the face it can be overwhelming and you don't know what to do first. This is not in just quilting, but every aspect of life. I have had to make lists and put my ducks in a row, so to speak, and that has seemed to help.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:48 AM

I usually straighten up my fabrics and weed through my patterns and books. That useally gets the creative juices going again and sparks the urge to sew.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by angelarose
Originally Posted by quilterguy27
I know exactly how you feel. I've been in a slump ever since I had open heart surgery last July. I just can't seem to get started. I go into my sewing room and move stuff arouond, reorganize, play with my fabric, mend here and there, but I just can't seem to get back into the piecing and quilting. I'm following this very closely. Hope you can help me too. Thanks
I've heard first person accounts of a slump after open heart surgery. A slump hits and there's no ambition to do anything. Speak with your doc about this, please. There could be an explanation for you which will make you understand why you feel the way you do.
Blessings.
thanks. I have already talked to my Dr. I'm not depressed. Quite the opposite, actually. I just can't seem to get motivated to sew. That's where my problem lies. I tinker in my sewing room, but nothing seems to be the spark I need to start my engine. All other aspects of my life are fine and moving along as should be expected. I just can't seem to find my sewing/quilting mojo.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:46 PM

It will come!!
Old 02-28-2011, 01:58 PM
Bev

Originally Posted by janedennis
I was in that mode a few weeks ago. I just ride it out, like reading some books, using the internet, visiting friends and then they get boring and now its time to pick up on the sewing again. It has to run its course, some times its a few days, sometimes its a few weeks. Just depends, but just flow with it, dont fight it, it will get better. Go see your friends who are productive they will inspire you to start moving again. Good Luck
I think I agree with this advice the most. Believe me I've had a couple of serious "Quilter's Block" cases. Once it lasted for months. I couldn't even go into my quilting room. Then I got a little feeling, like a tiny zing inside of me and I entered my quilting room and started looking at some of my books & magazines. After that it was day after day doing something more. Like baby steps. Finally I made a very small item, with a wonderful feeling of satisfaction. After that I was home free!!
Sometimes it just takes time. But never give up!! 8-)
Old 03-01-2011, 06:42 AM

Grab a good book and read.