Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do YOU conquer quilter's block? >

How do YOU conquer quilter's block?

How do YOU conquer quilter's block?

Old 02-26-2011, 11:45 AM

I am sitting here, Daughter is sleeping, Hubster is at work, neglected sewing machine in front of me (haven't touched it in more than a month), squeaky ironing board is already up and ready, not one but TWO projects sitting on the same table I am at with multiple UFO's just a room away, and I cannot bring myself to touch a bit of it.
How do you get through your quilter's block. Quilting is my mental health and the fact that I can't get started is a bit disturbing to me! There is nothing else I want to do, but I can't get started!!
Help!
Old 02-26-2011, 12:12 PM

Pretend that you're in a block swap and need to meet your commitment. Or put on some music, surf the web for patterns and ideas and then convince yourself to sew.
Sometimes I go without sewing for a few days and make up for it.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:17 PM

I am in the final stages of finishing a BOM quilt that I was in 4 YEARS AGO! Before that, it was a Quilt-in-a-day that took me 2 years. Talk about blocked. I had another top done, but had not quilted it. A good friend came over, said let's quilt that top, and we pinned it together. I have been working to complete in-process projects ever since. I am on my 3rd quilt since that day last summer. Call a friend to come over and do something with you. Good luck.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:31 PM

I have a head full of ideas and not enough hours! Would you like to do some of mine?
Old 02-26-2011, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

It's not that you "can't" get started but that you won't start. Just pick up a piece of fabric and do what you need to do to get it to BE a quilter's block. Once you make the first cut or take the first measurement or play with the first layout, you'll already be on the road. It happens to most of us at some point.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

I'm in that place right now. No reason I can explain.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:43 PM

I get that problem when I start thinking of projects I want to do! Cannot get them out of my mind. Seems I can't get my head back on what I am suppose to be doing. It usually last a week. I think it is just part of our creative nature at times to need a rest.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:47 PM

I bought a kit with the most gorgeous fabric, couldn't put it down. Also i am doing a block of the month so I am not overwhelmed. The kit was an easy strip quilt with asian fabrics, quick to put together so you don't lose interest. there is a craft festival in a couple weeks I am going to will be looking for another small project. Also trying to finish my UFO's this year. You have to find something that gets you fired up nad you will start working on everything, trust!!!
Old 02-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

Get a pile of quilt books and look through them and start a new project. LOL It seems I block when it comes to UFO's. So what does that make me a quilt planner and quilt starter?
Old 02-26-2011, 12:55 PM

When I get like this( and I do often), I try to get together with my friends and do a "finish your project day", laugh and have fun and soon you get moving on a project!