Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How do YOU conquer quilter's block?

I know how you feel ...I am just coming out of a slump lasting months. I was questioning why am I doing this..I will never be any good. We also got a new puppy, which did not help in the least. He needs constant attention going out to the bathroom. Also he had an obsession for running around with my fabric. Anyway, things are getting better and the urge to make something is coming back. It has been a long,hard,cold winter!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lvaughan
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
    Chiming in to say I started something and then mis-cut it 3 times!!!!!!! ARRGGGHHHH.
    If I push myself when not in the mood I make lots of mistakes too. I'm also just not in the mood lately. My husband was sick for a week, then I caught it and was sick for a week. I just don't have energy, and seem to be moody, yeah angry and as odd as it may sound I just don't feel like myself. I want to work on something but end up just sitting and staring at it. Whatever is going around, virus?, kicked our butts.
    Ditto ------ had 2 virus' in a row and it really shook the stuffin' out of me (us). I find that on days where there is sunshine I feel like getting back at it ......... Spring is right around the corner and things WILL get better!!!

New York State, but I will always be Canadian!
    Thanks guys! :)
    I actually sat down after awhile and completed the top that had been sitting for a month or two. It just needed borders. Then I went to sandwhich it and realized I didn't have enough batting. Bummer. So, I went and got a UFO that I had been working on...couldn't start cuz I know I don't have enough fabric. Then, I started pulling out quilts that just need to be completed and out of the house. For one reason or another I wasn't able to work on those either!
    Then my daughter woke up. I felt good that I had gotten that top done. :)
    All your advice is great. Just need to pick something up and start.
    Have a fantastic day ladies and gents!

I assign myself twenty minutes a day even if the idea of sewing is repulsive. Works every time, and I often get QB. I also keep a box of simple stuff, like two inch squares around, may just sew them together for twenty minutes.

Pick up your kitchen timer, grab a project... new or old. Tell yourself that you are going to work on this for 15- 30 minutes. Set the timer and Just Do It!

You will be surprised that after the time goes by... you still want to work. It's the getting started that's hard. If you do this every day, or every other day you will be amazed at what you get completed. One you see some progress, you will feel better.

I find myself sometimes sitting here at the computer reading way, way too much. I have been known to set the timer for this forum too.

I use my kitchen wind up timer more in my sewing room than in the kitchen.

Hope this works for you.

Blog Entries
    Been there and done that. What got me out of it was a lot of helpful advice from some of the members of this board. That and looking at all of the gorgeous stuff they have made.

I think it is the weather. I can't get in the mood to do much of anything on cold, rain, dark days. When the sun comes out I get so much done.

j
    I find that just cleaning and straightning things up gets me back in the creative mood. When things are upside down, I am also. - J.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
    I bought a kit with the most gorgeous fabric, couldn't put it down. Also i am doing a block of the month so I am not overwhelmed. The kit was an easy strip quilt with asian fabrics, quick to put together so you don't lose interest. there is a craft festival in a couple weeks I am going to will be looking for another small project. Also trying to finish my UFO's this year. You have to find something that gets you fired up nad you will start working on everything, trust!!!
    Oooo, would you share a pic of that Asian strippy pleeeeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
    Chiming in to say I started something and then mis-cut it 3 times!!!!!!! ARRGGGHHHH.
    Sorry, we've ALL been there I'm sure! Save those pieces for your next scrappy quilt!

I usually just dig in and pick something to sew on and sew for a few minutes. Usually my 2 inch log cabin strips get a workout. Then I can move on to something I really need to work on...like my great niece's clothes or a quilt in the making.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    When this happens I re-organize my sewing room. ... Then revisit some of my quilt books... and then make a potholder out of a block pattern I would not use in a full size quilt.
    Typically I don't make it through the re-organizing becasue I discovered something that gives me inspiration. The best part if it does not pass immediatly at least when it does I am ready to go in a tidy room.
    This is a very good idea. Sometimes I have so many ideas running through my brain, I don't know which way to go. So, I re-organize my sewing space and such. Soon, my swirling brain slows enough that I can jump on a project.

I also like the idea of bringing a friend over to work together. This is a great inspiration.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
    Been there and done that. What got me out of it was a lot of helpful advice from some of the members of this board. That and looking at all of the gorgeous stuff they have made.

Yes, all the gorgeous stuff everyone shows makes me want to get up and get going.

Blog Entries
    Remember Nike "JUST DO IT!" Any motion in that direction will get you moving, and first thing you know, you're back into it.

First, I decide what I want to do (with all my UFO's, surely one will interest me).
    Second, I set a timer for 1 hour. I spend this time sorting things out - re-reading the pattern, checking what's cut and what needs to be, etc.
    Third, I set the time for 1 hour (again). By now, my mind is clear and I usually know why I started the project in the first place. I can start where I left off.
    When the timer goes off the second time, I'm in the swing of things and can't stop!

Blog Entries
    You don't HAVE to sew do you? Does your livelihood depend on it? Then spend some time filing it all away neatly and go on to something else. (I'll get my knitting out and work on that) Some day, probably sooner than you think, you'll get out one of those projects and want to finish it. I put my projects away, out of sight, every night and choose which I want to work on in the morning. It's MY choice, not a UFO staring me in the face-that would be the worst thing in my mind. Variety is the spice of life and being able to choose where and on what I want to spend my day is the best.

Sometimes I will walk by my quilt room and act like it isn't there. When this happens for 4 or 5 days, I force myself to go in and at least dust, vaccum, pick up, etc. Once I am in there, it just happens. I spend hours just looking at the UFO's, touching the fabric and looking at my stash. Then like I bolt of lightening I sit down and stay for hours. Once I start making mistakes and have to rip our a few seams, that tells me I have overstayed my welcome. But it puts me back into the mood to get things going again.

How to conquer quilter's block. Make one :)
    Seriously make just one block even if it is a nine patch, then make another one and you will be quilting.

Just do something else for awhile, & the urge will return. Maybe something you don't like, like household chores, lol, that might get you in the mood once again, to do something you like to do. I don't worry when I don't want to quilt, & this usually works for me. We, as women, have so many other things to do too, I don't worry when I don't feel like quilting. After all, I do it for me, so when it's not something I want to do right then, I don't worry about it...

Do just one seam a day. If you do just one seam a day you will be there and doing a lot more than your goal.

I think we all did so much before Christmas that we have a lull in our heads. This to shall pass.

I know exactly how you feel. I've been in a slump ever since I had open heart surgery last July. I just can't seem to get started. I go into my sewing room and move stuff arouond, reorganize, play with my fabric, mend here and there, but I just can't seem to get back into the piecing and quilting. I'm following this very closely. Hope you can help me too. Thanks

We all go through moments like this. I hit hard I think in January, could do nothing! I find for me, its the time of year, snow, dreary, snow some more. I found that not putting pressure upon myself was probably one of the best things you can do. You know it will come back because it's who we are and what we do! Just relax and read a good book, maybe one that has a quilt theme in it. Oh yeah, don't forget the chocolate, that always helps! Hang in there, it will go away!! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by quilterguy27
    I know exactly how you feel. I've been in a slump ever since I had open heart surgery last July. I just can't seem to get started. I go into my sewing room and move stuff arouond, reorganize, play with my fabric, mend here and there, but I just can't seem to get back into the piecing and quilting. I'm following this very closely. Hope you can help me too. Thanks
    As for the heart surgery, I went through my 3rd one in December 2009, and it took me probably 6 months. Surgery is really hard on your body and soul, so just sit back and look at the good things you have around you and what you have to be thankful for..I found that very hard to do, but it does help!! Hope you are feeling better!

New York State, but I will always be Canadian!
    Quote Originally Posted by michelehuston
    Quote Originally Posted by quilterguy27
    As for the heart surgery, I went through my 3rd one in December 2009, and it took me probably 6 months. Surgery is really hard on your body and soul, so just sit back and look at the good things you have around you and what you have to be thankful for..I found that very hard to do, but it does help!! Hope you are feeling better!
    Me too! Sending you healing quilty thoughts!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast