Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: How do YOU conquer quilter's block?

I get that way every spring, when it is time to start planting flowers and garden. To get myself back in the "mode", I look at all the beautiful quilts others have done and that helps alot.

I just went through a similar experience and a friend came over and handed me pieces to sew and pressed the seams for me when I was finished. It got me going. I am still a newbie working on my first quilt. I was doing a lot of embroidery before Christmas and I think I was afraid to begin the quilt. It is going well now.

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    Reward yourself for your accomplishments! It works for me. I tell myself I can have whatever treat I want at the moment once I finish ________ :)

Quote Originally Posted by pkary
    I have a head full of ideas and not enough hours! Would you like to do some of mine?
    mine too, I think we need another 8 hours in a day.

Invite one or a couple of quilters to come over and swap some UFOs....maybe have soup and a sandwich too?

Ask another quilter for help!

My beloved puppy, BooBoo, died in Nov. and I have had quilters block. I just need to push myself harder to get going I guess.
    This is Layla. I got her for Christmas.

I have found that if I go into the sewing room and straighten up, clean, declutter - just get in there and do something - that I can get started back on a sewing project.

Blog Entries
    I could be the long winter and not enough sun shine. Try taking vitamin D3. That may help. You can't take to much of it and my Dr. told me in the winter be sure and take at least 1000 ICU's. It helps with SADS also.

nab
    I'm with you. I go sit in my room and eventually get up turn off the light and go do something else. This last weekend I did pull out all my finished quilt tops that need to be quilted. I have 35. I want to start with the smaller ones that I can quilt on my regular machine and then decide what to do with the big ones. Anyway, they are still sitting where I left them. My friend came over and we went to the quilt shop and I bought another project. I hope it will get me started again.

Blog Entries
    If there are to many things staring you in the face it can be overwhelming and you don't know what to do first. This is not in just quilting, but every aspect of life. I have had to make lists and put my ducks in a row, so to speak, and that has seemed to help.

I usually straighten up my fabrics and weed through my patterns and books. That useally gets the creative juices going again and sparks the urge to sew.

Quote Originally Posted by angelarose
    Quote Originally Posted by quilterguy27
    I know exactly how you feel. I've been in a slump ever since I had open heart surgery last July. I just can't seem to get started. I go into my sewing room and move stuff arouond, reorganize, play with my fabric, mend here and there, but I just can't seem to get back into the piecing and quilting. I'm following this very closely. Hope you can help me too. Thanks
    I've heard first person accounts of a slump after open heart surgery. A slump hits and there's no ambition to do anything. Speak with your doc about this, please. There could be an explanation for you which will make you understand why you feel the way you do.
    Blessings.
    thanks. I have already talked to my Dr. I'm not depressed. Quite the opposite, actually. I just can't seem to get motivated to sew. That's where my problem lies. I tinker in my sewing room, but nothing seems to be the spark I need to start my engine. All other aspects of my life are fine and moving along as should be expected. I just can't seem to find my sewing/quilting mojo.

It will come!!

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by janedennis
    I was in that mode a few weeks ago. I just ride it out, like reading some books, using the internet, visiting friends and then they get boring and now its time to pick up on the sewing again. It has to run its course, some times its a few days, sometimes its a few weeks. Just depends, but just flow with it, dont fight it, it will get better. Go see your friends who are productive they will inspire you to start moving again. Good Luck
    I think I agree with this advice the most. Believe me I've had a couple of serious "Quilter's Block" cases. Once it lasted for months. I couldn't even go into my quilting room. Then I got a little feeling, like a tiny zing inside of me and I entered my quilting room and started looking at some of my books & magazines. After that it was day after day doing something more. Like baby steps. Finally I made a very small item, with a wonderful feeling of satisfaction. After that I was home free!!
    Sometimes it just takes time. But never give up!! 8-)

Grab a good book and read.

Dig out your idea journal. Look at books or magazines. If you have some WIP's/UFO's pick up one and do one little thing on it. Sometimes it is just getting started that is the problem. Sometimes, for me, my sewing room is a mess and I can't get started until I straighten it out.

New York State, but I will always be Canadian!
    Quote Originally Posted by jitkaau
    I've not had the problem yet. However, why not look up some quilt challenges from other guilds or AQS past shows etc and set yourself the goal of making that challenge? It will get you out of your comfort zone, help you to think of new ideas and even if you don't end up with what you started out to do, it is the challenge along the way that could help you discover a new technique or style for you to use. Even if you tried to represent a poem or a quotation as your inspiration,it would be a start.
    That sounds like a great idea! Out of my comfort zone might be right where I need to be!

When I have a quilter's block,I go in the fabric room and look at the fabrics and run my hands over them.That alone will get me thinking about the quilt that I can make with that fabric.Or I will pick a print focus fabric out and lay it on the table,and then I start pulling out colors that will go with it.The patterns don't do it for me. The fabric will yank me out of my quilting funk every time.

I keep having to take time off for health reasons, and then I sometimes find that I've lost the impetus to quilt. What I'm doing right now is to keep the quilt I'm working on by the bed (I spend most of my day in the bedroom; go for whatever room works for you) and tell myself that I'm just going to quilt a few stitches. I usually end up doing more than that, but even if it's just a few stitches, at least it means I've picked up a needle that day.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    It's not that you "can't" get started but that you won't start. Just pick up a piece of fabric and do what you need to do to get it to BE a quilter's block. Once you make the first cut or take the first measurement or play with the first layout, you'll already be on the road. It happens to most of us at some point.
    this is the best advice I can think to give you. I have a little note to myself on my 'note-wall', lol...see? I need tons of encouragement...it says, "The reason some plans don't happen is - BC YOU JUST DON'T DO THEM!" makes sense if you think about it.
    Pick something up and start going through the motions...the feelings will come.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4