Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do YOU conquer quilter's block? >

How do YOU conquer quilter's block?

How do YOU conquer quilter's block?

Old 02-27-2011, 08:20 AM

You don't HAVE to sew do you? Does your livelihood depend on it? Then spend some time filing it all away neatly and go on to something else. (I'll get my knitting out and work on that) Some day, probably sooner than you think, you'll get out one of those projects and want to finish it. I put my projects away, out of sight, every night and choose which I want to work on in the morning. It's MY choice, not a UFO staring me in the face-that would be the worst thing in my mind. Variety is the spice of life and being able to choose where and on what I want to spend my day is the best.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:25 AM

Sometimes I will walk by my quilt room and act like it isn't there. When this happens for 4 or 5 days, I force myself to go in and at least dust, vaccum, pick up, etc. Once I am in there, it just happens. I spend hours just looking at the UFO's, touching the fabric and looking at my stash. Then like I bolt of lightening I sit down and stay for hours. Once I start making mistakes and have to rip our a few seams, that tells me I have overstayed my welcome. But it puts me back into the mood to get things going again.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:30 AM

How to conquer quilter's block. Make one :)
Seriously make just one block even if it is a nine patch, then make another one and you will be quilting.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:31 AM

Just do something else for awhile, & the urge will return. Maybe something you don't like, like household chores, lol, that might get you in the mood once again, to do something you like to do. I don't worry when I don't want to quilt, & this usually works for me. We, as women, have so many other things to do too, I don't worry when I don't feel like quilting. After all, I do it for me, so when it's not something I want to do right then, I don't worry about it...
Old 02-27-2011, 08:32 AM

Do just one seam a day. If you do just one seam a day you will be there and doing a lot more than your goal.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:58 AM

I think we all did so much before Christmas that we have a lull in our heads. This to shall pass.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:16 AM

I know exactly how you feel. I've been in a slump ever since I had open heart surgery last July. I just can't seem to get started. I go into my sewing room and move stuff arouond, reorganize, play with my fabric, mend here and there, but I just can't seem to get back into the piecing and quilting. I'm following this very closely. Hope you can help me too. Thanks
Old 02-27-2011, 11:17 AM

We all go through moments like this. I hit hard I think in January, could do nothing! I find for me, its the time of year, snow, dreary, snow some more. I found that not putting pressure upon myself was probably one of the best things you can do. You know it will come back because it's who we are and what we do! Just relax and read a good book, maybe one that has a quilt theme in it. Oh yeah, don't forget the chocolate, that always helps! Hang in there, it will go away!! ;D
Old 02-27-2011, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by quilterguy27
I know exactly how you feel. I've been in a slump ever since I had open heart surgery last July. I just can't seem to get started. I go into my sewing room and move stuff arouond, reorganize, play with my fabric, mend here and there, but I just can't seem to get back into the piecing and quilting. I'm following this very closely. Hope you can help me too. Thanks
As for the heart surgery, I went through my 3rd one in December 2009, and it took me probably 6 months. Surgery is really hard on your body and soul, so just sit back and look at the good things you have around you and what you have to be thankful for..I found that very hard to do, but it does help!! Hope you are feeling better!
Old 02-27-2011, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by michelehuston
Originally Posted by quilterguy27
As for the heart surgery, I went through my 3rd one in December 2009, and it took me probably 6 months. Surgery is really hard on your body and soul, so just sit back and look at the good things you have around you and what you have to be thankful for..I found that very hard to do, but it does help!! Hope you are feeling better!
Me too! Sending you healing quilty thoughts!