Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you cut your fabric?? >

How do you cut your fabric??

How do you cut your fabric??

Old 03-27-2011, 11:51 AM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Ok I should know this but for some reason I am confused.....When you cut your strips for boarders do you cut the fabric across or length wise? If you cut across is that cutting on the bias?? Which way is better to cut the fabric for boarders?
Old 03-27-2011, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

You can either cut across or lengthwise. I usually have to cut across because I can't afford to purchase enough fabric to do it lengthwise. It isn't bias, bias would be on the diagonal.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Banned

Well, right or wrong, I usually cut mine on the cross wise grain - from selvage to selvage. There is a tiny more stretch in the cross wise and sometimes it is helpful since when the pieced blocks are sewn together the measurement might be off a little bit. So the little bit of stretch in the crosswise cut can be beneficial. And you are correct, if you cut your fabric on the diagonal - 45 degrees on the selvage - that is bias. There is a lot of stretch in a bias cut.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

A lot depends on the planning. Cutting fabric for a border the length of the fabric requires you to know how large the quilt will be AND you need to cut the border strips BEFORE everything else to ensure that you have enough.

I usually piece my border strips and cut across the fabric which means I end up with strips the width of the fabric.

Cutting on the bias means that you cut across the fabric at a 45-degree angle. I don't think that is a preferred way to do it because bias cuts are easily distorted - they are the stretchiest.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:13 PM

If I possibly can, I cut the length of the fabric to avoid having to piece the borders, but that's just my preference over the past couple of years. For most of my earlier quilts, I have cut across the fabric and pieced to get the appropriate length.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:16 PM
Power Poster

I agree the preference would be lengthwise, so you don't have to piece it. That could be up to three yards of fabric depending on the size of the quilt, and I just can't afford to buy 3 yards of fabric for the borders.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I agree the preference would be lengthwise, so you don't have to piece it. That could be up to three yards of fabric depending on the size of the quilt, and I just can't afford to buy 3 yards of fabric for the borders.
When I do it that way, it's generally because I'm using the same fabric in the body of the quilt; that way, I can cut my borders and then cut the pieces needed for my blocks from the fabric that's left. I don't feel as wasteful that way!
Old 03-27-2011, 12:28 PM

Probably 95% of the time, I cut lengthwise. When you cut across the width of the fabric, that is not the bias. The best way I can describe finding the bias is, it's a 45 degree angle from the wof and lof.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:29 PM

I also perfer to cut my borders lengthwise but usually cut them crosswise because it takes less fabric that way.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:51 PM

I always try to cut lenghtwise and try to work out a border pattern so that can use lenght wise. There is much less stretch in the lenght of grain. When I use cross cut Salvage to salvage, the stretch always comes back to bother me... with wavy edges or it just does not want to lay flat against the other fabrics.
One exception is batiks there is almost no stretch on the cross cut or selvage to selvage.