Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you decide on quilting design? >

How do you decide on quilting design?

How do you decide on quilting design?

Old 01-31-2013, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I have a piece of clear tablecloth plastic with painter's tape around the perimeter. I lay this sheet over an area of my quilt and draw my idea with a draw erase marker on the plastic. This allows me to see if I like it and to erase it off the plastic and try again until I find a design I like.
I would start by SITD along the yellow sashing in the center of the quilt to stabilize it. I would then try different designs for the blocks. I wonder if you could quilt chicken wire over the chicken blocks? If that sounds too hard, maybe a simple cross hatch in the blocks would look like chicken wire and you could do it with a regular foot on your machine.
I love the idea of chicken wire! It's perfect! Next question: do you mark the whole quilting pattern on the front or the back or...??? Do I just go find a plastic chicken wire stencil? Btw, I suppose I should find one that is more 'oval' in shapes than round, yes? Otherwise it'll look like honeycomb...
Old 01-31-2013, 06:30 AM

The chicken wire sounds fun. Not sure if you could find a stencil, but could probably draw one. SITD (stitch in the ditch) if hard for me. However I don't do much machine quilting at all. If I were to do SITD, I would use a gentle wavy line along the stitching lines. I'm afraid I would not be able to stay in the ditch, and know some people use the wavy line. By the way, stitching next to the stitch line is called "echo" quilting. I have never mastered stippling. Looks easy, but like it has been said here, takes a lot of practice. I really like your quilt top. I'm sure it will be lovely with what ever you deceide to do.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:59 AM

I agree with Marsha SITD is not easy and I could never stay in the ditch. but using your 1/4 inch foot you can get a better line using the seam for the guide. I only did that on about 4 quilts before I took the plunge and started meander FMQ - that it about all I do now. I made a couple of small dolly quilts for Granddaughters and practiced on thise and then just jumped in and meandered FMQ. Each quilt gets better and better. Good luck with what ever you do decide to do.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

I don't know if there are chicken wire stencils. You might have to find a picture and copy it? As for putting it onto the quilt top? Everyone has different methods. I think I wold draw it on with the quilt marker that erases with a spritz of water.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:05 AM

That is a pretty aweswome top for a beginner! Stitch in the ditch is the best way to go.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:35 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Sometimes with a beginner machine quilting, it's easier to do straight lines. But that doesn't mean they always need to be "in the ditch" between seams, or just on a diagonal all the way thru a top. Hopefully the suggestions of the black lines below will come out well enough to give you an idea of something different.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails quilting-lines.jpg  
Old 02-01-2013, 03:14 AM

Cute quilt!

Jan in VA, I like your ideas and your ability to draw them onto this lovely quilt.

I have a foot made for SID, but have found it easier to use an open foot so I can see clearly where I'm going. SID is my favorite quilting method on my DSM, but I agree with Jan that your Chicken Quilt would look nice with a little more.