Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you define CREATIVE?

My DH says I am not the least bit creative because every time I sew, quilt, bake, garden, paint, write, etc. I do my own thing instead of following a set pattern, or rule, or recipe, or guide of some type. He says creative means doing EXACTLY what the plan says and not changing it one tiny bit. I say if I want it the way someone else does I will do their way, if I want it my way I will do mine.

What are your thoughts on being CREATIVE?

Blog Entries
    That's the weirdest definition of creative I've ever heard. It seems to me that doing your own thing is MORE creative than following a pattern, plan, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TeriD
    That's the weirdest definition of creative I've ever heard. It seems to me that doing your own thing is MORE creative than following a pattern, plan, etc.
    Agree 100 % :)

this is the exact opposite of creative.

creative people develop/design original ideas and therefore rules/plans aren't even a consideration yet - they are developed along with the creative idea.

this is why people design an original quilt and then make it before they actually prepare and sell a pattern for the mass public to use.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I say your DH has it completely back wards. His way is not creative infact it restricts all creativity. You can tell him I said that. :-).

Blog Entries
    I believe being creative is being able to adapt something from its original form to make something different. Just keep creating your own designs. keep up the good work

I think you;re CREATIVE

Blog Entries
    ditto!!

Blog Entries
    I think you are more creative when you create the pattern as well as the quilt. Without your creativity it wouldn’t even exist this way.

donttell your husband but I think he has it ass backwards... lol

Thinking outside the box! Darling DH is describing living inside a box and just copying what has been done before.

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I say your DH has it completely back wards. His way is not creative infact it restricts all creativity. You can tell him I said that. :-).
    Ditto!

Exactly what you are doing!!! Your own thing...when i was teaching Arts I encouraged the kids to be creative, and that was to add something of their own!! keep on keep on!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Julianna
    My DH says I am not the least bit creative because every time I sew, quilt, bake, garden, paint, write, etc. I do my own thing instead of following a set pattern, or rule, or recipe, or guide of some type. He says creative means doing EXACTLY what the plan says and not changing it one tiny bit. I say if I want it the way someone else does I will do their way, if I want it my way I will do mine.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    once again, the MALE is WRONG....really...how uncreative he must be!

Quote Originally Posted by Carrie Jo
    LOL YUP what Carrie Jo said only I say tell him. He can't go around all his life being so dead wrong! You would be doing him a complete disservice by not letting him know he has it ass backwards. Any chance he was just pulling your leg on that one??

OH NO...creative is when you do your own thing and make up your own rules...Imagination

Quote Originally Posted by Julianna

I just looked up Creative in the dictionary and your picture was there......And you looked really good!!

Blog Entries
    I thought being creative means doing your own thing. If you follow patterns, instructions, recipes, etc. exactly you're not putting any of yourself into it, just copying what someone else created.

I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrie Jo
    LOL YUP what Carrie Jo said only I say tell him. He can't go around all his life being so dead wrong! You would be doing him a complete disservice by not letting him know he has it ass backwards. Any chance he was just pulling your leg on that one??
    I believe the correct terminology here is "bass ackwards". Besides that I am not a sheep nor a lemming. Fred says, "lets jump!" Will your DH follow Fred's suggestion, or figure out an alternative route?

Blog Entries
    He is wrong. You do your thing & all will be right !! :-D

My sentiments as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    Agree 100 % :)

I believe adding to and changing things make them ours. Puts our personalities into the quilt and not just belonging to the quilt designer. The dictionary defination is: resulting from originality of thought, expression, etc.; imaginative: seems to me that he has it wrong. Just mho...

Creative is thinking outside of the box...not doing exactly what is done as the pattern directions call for or to play follow the leader...

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    He has it backwards!! :D:D

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast