Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you design? >

How do you design?

How do you design?

Old 10-08-2013, 10:31 AM

Default How do you design?

Hi, All,

Since beginning to quilt, I have followed some really wonderful patterns. Now, I'm starting to think about creating my own designs. So, I'm wondering:

What's your favorite way to design your own quilt? Do you have a favorite software program? And, if so, which one? Or, do you prefer the old fashioned way, with grid paper and colored paper?

Thanks!
Old 10-08-2013, 10:53 AM
Power Poster

I don't have software. Never thought of designing my own pattern but I would probably go with whichever seemed better to work with. Sorry I'm not much help!
Old 10-08-2013, 10:59 AM
RST

I usually start with the fabrics. I put them up on my design wall and look at them, arrange them in different combinations, and begin thinking about shapes I'd like to use. Then I start cutting and putting things up on the wall, playing around until I like the arrangement. Sometimes it helps to take a photo and look at it on a screen -- either the computer or on my phone-- something about seeing it on a screen helps me see where I need to make changes. I'll play around with different arrangements for a few days until I'm happy with it, and then sew, taking segments from the design wall and then returning them there.

While I do sometimes use my EQ (I have an old version 3) or paper and colored pencils, I very rarely work out the details anywhere but up on the wall.

I think everyone develops their own process, so try out several methods and see what works for you.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:09 AM

For the bargello quilt I designed, I used the paper from a bargello book, lines in progressingly darker colors. Then I drew the design I wanted on graph paper, and measured where the cutting lines would be. Then I cut up the colored strips of paper to see what the design would look like.

I also have EQ7. I just wasn't sure how to design my bargello in EQ7 (it was probably EQ6 when I designed it).
Old 10-08-2013, 11:10 AM

Most of the quilts I've designed I've used the basic drawing tools in Microsoft Word.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:27 AM

I design with Microsoft products as well, mostly Excel and Publisher, sometimes Powerpoint is added in and Paint for more detailed coloring. Excel acts exactly like graph paper if you change the cell width.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

I generally start with graph paper- or a sketch book- the graph paper helps me keep my quilt within a reasonable size- otherwise they can grow larger than I wanted- seldom does the finished quilt look anything like the initial sketches - but it is a starting point- then I decide the color family, theme, or fabric group I want to use= then I just 'dive in'. the quilt evolves & grows into what it wants to be.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:58 PM
Power Poster

Honestly? On a wing and a prayer. I originally began by using the graph paper years ago. But, now I have gotten pretty good at knowing what it will look like when completed. I do audition fabrics as I go with some of them. Because something doesn't quite set right with me. But, I like that creative way of making them. It frees me to Do My own thing.

Many of the bought patterns I use for quilts are very complicated and take days to complete. So when I get the chance, I play like this or make a purse. I have be creative once in a while or I get to feeling like the humdrums have set in and I am a slave to the piecing and quilting. Know what I mean?
Old 10-08-2013, 01:11 PM

I have EQ6 that I've used to design a quilt. It isn't their newest version but it's the one I own. I wish I had EQ7 because they let you take a picture of your fabric and insert it into the program. This would be amazing to see your own fabric used so you know for sure that it will all work out.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:20 PM

It depends on the type of quilt I'm designing.

I designed a landscape quilt and for that one the method was "wing it". I had a general idea in my head, hung a piece of muslin, and started by glueing bits of fabric to it and it evolved.

I designed a baby quilt and a chemo quilt in a similar fashion ... laid down the "foundation" quilt (in each case they were simple pieced quilts that did not require a "pattern") then drew out the applique I planned on using and attached to the foundation quilt.

For quilts that are going to be pieced together and require *math* ... I prefer to use EQ7 to design it which insures that the math at least is correct. After that, I may use EQ 7 to print foundation patterns for PP, or I may use MS Word to print foundation pieces.