Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you do your rows? >

How do you do your rows?

How do you do your rows?

Old 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM

Default How do you do your rows?

How do you assemble your rows of quilt blocks? Add the next row? Or "pair them up" then attach pairs? My first big quilt project and I decided on the "pair them up" approach. Got the next seam pinned and then one more after that!
Attached Thumbnails checkerboard-rows.jpg   checkerboard-2x2.jpg   checkerboard-bottom3.jpg  
Old 03-09-2024, 02:53 PM

Typically if the blocks of the quilt are all the same size, then I do mine like you are doing. I find that if I just keep adding rows, that eventually the quilt top will be harder to handle as opposed to building the quilt into 2 or 3 parts and then completing sewing with about equal parts for the last seam. If the quilt takes 4 blocks to make the pattern, then I will sew the four parts together, then build rows. That's just my preferences. Quilting is all about doing any task the way that you are comfortable with. I have a harder time with a quilt that builds out from the center. Those have to be sewn in a round-a-bout way and my logical brain just doesn't like that. But I like the results, so I do it anyway.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 03-09-2024 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-09-2024, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

I do like Eleanor Burns. I sew two columns together , add another set of blocks to the column, then don't cut the threads and then sew the rows together. It mostly works for me so I haven't tried any other method
Old 03-09-2024, 05:09 PM
Power Poster

If it is a big quilt, I do pairs of rows and then assemble into halves and lastly, sew the 2 halves together. Bonnie Hunter likes to web the whole quilt top together but I find that is too cumbersome for me.
Old 03-09-2024, 05:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I do like Eleanor Burns. I sew two columns together , add another set of blocks to the column, then don't cut the threads and then sew the rows together. It mostly works for me so I haven't tried any other method
StitchNRipper ... Works for me too!
Old 03-09-2024, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
Typically if the blocks of the quilt are all the same size, then I do mine like you are doing. I find that if I just keep adding rows, that eventually the quilt top will be harder to handle as opposed to building the quilt into 2 or 3 parts and then completing sewing with about equal parts for the last seam. If the quilt takes 4 blocks to make the pattern, then I will sew the four parts together, then build rows. That's just my preferences. Quilting is all about doing any task the way that you are comfortable with. I have a harder time with a quilt that builds out from the center. Those have to be sewn in a round-a-bout way and my logical brain just doesn't like that. But I like the results, so I do it anyway.
I'm with you, Barb. I find it much more manageable to do pairs of rows and then assemble them into foursies and then continue in this manner. You are so right about doing what you are most comfortable doing. Make it fun!

Leslie
Old 03-10-2024, 03:27 AM

I typically assemble the center row, then add to each side, row by row. I keep the big piece of fabric to the left of the machine needle. This is for both quilt tops and quilt as you go/assemble.
I work either by column or row, which ever presents itself - usually becomes obvious during the layout of block phase.
Old 03-10-2024, 03:50 AM

I sew pairs until I get 2 halves. I think there is less stretch and distortion by minimal handling. If you start with 2 rows, then continue to add, those pieces have seen a lot of action by the time all rows have been added. Thank goodness there is no one correct way!
Old 03-10-2024, 05:13 AM

I usually do 2-3 rows together at a time. Less going thru the machine.
Old 03-10-2024, 09:45 AM

I normally do half and half. That way I can chain stitch them until the last seam sewing the two halves together. I also normally press each seam as I sew.