Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you find that right pattern after you have the fabric? >

How do you find that right pattern after you have the fabric?

How do you find that right pattern after you have the fabric?

Old 07-23-2013, 03:02 PM
Power Poster

i don't know of a specific pattern, but it speaks to me this way: creamy background with appliques flowers
Old 07-23-2013, 04:32 PM

I would add a solid green - a green that goes with the leaves and vines in the fabrics. It would give you contrast as well.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:47 PM

A day or so ago, someone posted a photo of a quilt that they were looking for the pattern for. She said she was working with two young ladies learning to quilt. One of them found the pattern. Don't remember who the poster was, but as soon as I saw your fabric I thought of that post. Perhaps the original poster will pop on here so you could see the picture. Don't think you would need a pattern.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:52 PM

I did one that was several colors, don't quite remember how many but it might work well with your fabrics. I got the idea for it from a post on this board. If I remember correctly the name of the design was This Way and That. I'll see if I can find the original post. I had a picture of mine but it was in my phone and its gone.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:22 PM

Found the original post by Jennalyn titled something like "If you we're making this how would you do it and why "

Sorry I don't know how to link.

She was using 15 fabrics. I did not use that many. You could use however many you want.
I would suggest using a consistent light background in both blocks. I used a pale aqua with a light to medium aqua scroll design. That is the fabric that will require more than one yard.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:41 PM

Looking at your fabric, I feel that that they are all quite light. I think I would look for a darker co-ordinating fabric. Perhaps a deep green or even a darker rose or go right off the board and use a very dark colour to make the others pop. I really like the idea of a sampler quilt. The darker colour could be used as sashing and could also add a bit of drama to some of the blocks.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:37 AM

How about a basket block? I have a cherry basket quilt on my bed that used a collection of fabrics and it is lovely. The baskets are on point with triagles in the corners to create a large square. I never get tire of looking at it.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:37 AM

I usually go to Quilter's Cache and I love Samplers, so I go to the 12" blocks and pick out which blocks match the person and then if it is a coverlet, it is three across/five down and if it is a double it is five across and seven down. I try to use patterns and colors that match the person and the block (center block I may put in a Loon to represent Minnesota for a couple that like to camp in Northern Minn) or whatever I have that goes good together. I try to get a piece of every color, you know Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Violet Brown Black, and then I can choose my border from any of those colors and the backing from any color of the border. Very simple very easy and I am able to personalize each quilt that I make because I put a part of them (who I make the quilt for) into the quilt. Then, of course, I make the book to describe each block and why I used those colors and explain the name of the block and why I used that particular one. The blocks I like I print out andput in a binder and then I have them to go through for the next quilt. You never end up making the same quilt twice. I made a sampler with a square center and made an I Spy quilt for the little girl across the alley. She learned words from that quilt. And I did use harder centers for her to figure out and learn how to say. It's fun. Right? I usually use an ecru on ecru for the sashing or a very very light batik with a myriad of colors in it, so all the blocks will match the batik. Then I use a deeper multi-color for the border and generally a solid back.

Whatever rows your boat is perfect. That is what my mother taught me. Your quilt - your rules. Enjoy. Edie
Old 07-24-2013, 05:21 AM

Thank you all for so many suggestions. You've really given me some good ideas. Now it's time to get going with this!
Old 07-24-2013, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Debbiemg View Post
I can't even count right. No wonder I can't find a pattern. I have eight fabrics, not seven.

Debbie you made me laugh. Welcome to the club.
I am thinking but nothing has come up yet. I think you have some very nice fabrics there.