Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you find the time???

I feel so much better after reading this post! I am a very slow sewer and I work full time and have two preschool aged kids. If I am in my sewing room, one of them, usually DD, is in there with me. honestly, I've completed a couple of baby quilts, wall hangings and table runners but nothing bigger! I always felt like I was missing something,like why are these women abel to get so much done and I'm not?!?!? Glad I'm not alone on this and I think I just need to keep it in perspective. I also think I need to train DH that cleaning is very low on the priority list. For some reason, he wants to see our house clean :wink: At least he pitches in!

I homeschool my children and I also work part time. I usually take a bit of time in the mornings to work on some quilting, maybe 30-45, just to get my mind working. Then we usually focus on school studies in the mornings, since there are two of them and they get individual one on one attention, we can get things done a lot faster. After lunch it is time to do what each of us wants. That is when I usually quilt. I have everyone help prepare meals and help with clean up and then we all have certain chores that we do. Sometimes, if my hubby is working from home in the evenings, I will go down and quilt for a while. I have found, I just have to make time for it, because it is relaxing for me.

How DO I find the time??! I work full time, take call (Hospice patients), active in my church, take time for my honey, and now I have bitten of too many projects: Choco-Rasp swap, boomerange, IRR, plus projects that I'm doing on my own, like baby quilts for friends, grandkids quilts when they turn 5, etc. I just try to make time. The best is when I do laundry, since my sewing room is the other half of the laundry. Also, I find it is relaxing, as many of you have said. Most of all, I LOVE it!!

Blog Entries
    Working moms do too much an feel guilty if they take time for themselves. I learned to say: do it yourself. When I worked full time no way was I coming home and have the cooking and cleaning to do too. DH either did his equal share to help or he could eat cereal and wear dirty clothes. Or marry a maid. His choice. Once the kids reached 8 years old, they did their own laundry and did all the kitchen clean ups after dinner. Saturdays were errand and house chores which were done by the whole family. Sat night was family night (until teen years) and Sunday every one did what they wanted on their own. It worked great. Now that I don't work full time I get up and decide what I want to do for the day.

Blog Entries
    I sew while I should be cleaning as well lol. Seriously though, I am blessed to be a SAH mom and I sew while my kids are in school. I am also a part time student but I do most of my studying in the evening after the kids go to sleep. I dont make as many as say... Eddie who every time you blink has a new one. He is amazingly quick and super talented. :D

When I worked, I found that the only way I could get everything done that I wanted was to have a schedule and be very organized. Also, my DH was always willing to lend a hand so that I could do the things I enjoyed. I was a stay at home mom when our 4 kids were little but I made almost all of their clothes and mine, canned almost 1000 jars of fruits and veggies, baked everything from scratch and all the rest. A schedule and organization made all the difference. I quite honestly never just sat down. I was always doing some sort of handy work. All of the kids had chores that were age appropriaste. Of corse we did not have a computor or all of the electronics that can eat up do much of our time. Also, the TV did not go on until all chores were done! I guess the bottem line is we make time for the things that we want to make time for. Was I sleep deprived? Absolutly! But when I look back, I wouldn't change any of it. Now I don't have the demands, so am more layed back, but still try to stick to some sort of schedule.

I also work full-time from 8-5, but I'm a night owl too (and hate to get up). My DH does 80% of the cooking, and my children are now grown, so lately I've been sewing about every night, sometimes until 12:30 or 1 am. But I also embroider and sew lots of other things besides just quilts. I've got three quilts in progress, two that I started over a year ago! So don't feel bad if you can't crank out as many as others do. At least you're doing something you enjoy.

Ok...I feel so much better. I literally have to schedule time to be able to sew. I have so many things I would love to do and can't ever seem to find the time. Ihave been trying to make it a habit to sew every evening for at least 30 - 45 min. Once I have my new sewing room organized it will be easier since I will be able to just leave what I am working on and pick back up the next day.

We own a busines that keeps me busy 5.5 days a week. I have two children that are involved in after school activities so I am MOM'S TAXI. No one helps me with any chores, maybe time to rethink that one!!! I do all the cooking ect. After supper and cleaing up I usually head to the "dungeon" and quilt away. I do laundry while sewing and I have a t.v. down there to keep me company. Since DH and I work together it's nice to have our separate time at night.

Before I retired I just made time even if something else had to slip. My sewing machine used to be in the family room which is also where the tv, computer, and homework table used to be. Now that I'm retired I have my own little room (7x10) that was meant to be an office but it is too small for my hubby and all his magazines and paperwork so I snagged it as my own sewing area. Sewing still takes priority over housework. When the house gets unbearable we both pitch in!

I am very VERY lucky. I am unemployed. Jim works. I quilt.

Blog Entries
    I am retired but did do a lot when working. Mostly I could only concentrate on one project at a time. Although I have some projects that will not get completed, I'm sure. When I built this house I chose gray carpet, it is the color of dust. Dishes are done and beds are made and the rest is okay by me. I am a collector of antiques and it shows. I can't go to anymore sales because I will have to move to a bigger house. Two of my bedrooms are storage and I sew on the kitchen table. I don't feel right being upstairs. Everything is here in front of me and I can keep going when I want. On another online site there is a "Sew daily challenge". The goal is 15 to 30 minutes a day. Reading about quilting also counts. After all you have to plan the next quilt/project.

I had a friend,not too long ago, who used to tweak me about never completing a quilting project. She did it a few two many times and in public once! This was when I was teaching fulltime and finishing grad. school in addition to all of the regular family stuff. Grad. school was over at the end of this summer and now I can finally see some time ahead of me to be more productive. It is hard during the week. I just get worn out sometimes and it's all I can do to keep up with things at home and jump on the treadmill for some exercise.
    By the way, that 'friend' is no longer. Not due to the teasing but now that I think of it, I sure don't miss that. It started to feel a little mean spirited.
    lots2do

I love this thread. I have often thought the same thing .

I am retired as well and still find it hard to cook, clean, go to guild meetings and sew. but I try to sew some each day. Even at that, I am not as prolific as others.

I haven't been quilting in a long, long time. I started a baby quilt for a friend. Baby just turned 1 year old. Quilt is still on the frame.

I plan to put myself on a schedule so I can get it done. Having some minor upheaval so it will have to wait before I can get back to it. (oh, well...)

Now, we need to employ a scheduling GURU!!!

I worked for 30 years, retired for 1 1/2 years, then went back to work full time for the last 8 years. Hubby is retired and home during the day, he does the cleaning, laundry, and most of the cooking. When I get home in the evening, I could do what I want to do, but I don't have any energy left. I have always like to hand piece and hand quilt so I can work on hand work while we watch TV. I am fortunate to have a sewing room upstairs, so that is where I spend my time on the weekends. It is boring to have only one project going at a time anyway. Sometimes I go to my sewing room, look at patterns, play with my stash then do nothing with it. That counts as quilting doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by momto4
    I sew while I should be cleaning as well lol. Seriously though, I am blessed to be a SAH mom and I sew while my kids are in school. I am also a part time student but I do most of my studying in the evening after the kids go to sleep. I dont make as many as say... Eddie who every time you blink has a new one. He is amazingly quick and super talented. :D
    I think Eddie needs to come clean and admit that he has invented a wonder drug that allows him to survive without sleep. ;)

I work FT, and am very fortunate that DH is very supportive of my quilting. He does most of the laundry, takes his turn with cooking, etc. And cleaning? I am sure that is spelled incorrectly...isn't it a 4 letter word? hehehe I try to get to my sewing room whenever I can. We often do crockpot dinners on work days so no cooking time when we get home. Weekends will often allow me a little more time on Saturday, not so much on Sunday since church is in another town, which has larger stores that we don't have here, so any shopping/errands get done after church. It is often 3:00 or later by the time we get home. Bottom line for me is, this is my hobby, my relaxation, and I am worth having time for me....so I make whatever time I can.

Patti

Patti, you hit the nail on the head. This is a hobby and no one should feel "pushed" into doing more than they can handle. We put in whatever time we can, whether minutes or hours at a time. It doesn't matter if we finish one project a year or a 100 we are adding beauty to the world, getting satisfaction from our work and giving pleasure to those we are quilting for. What more could anyone ask of themselves or their hobby?

I asked myself that question too! I have finally concluded that each to their own, eveyone has a diffrent schedule and situation. I work 42 hours each week and drive time isn't included in that. My dh helps alot.a lot!!! Still not as much time as I like, so I take what I can! Do what I can! Enjoy what I do! I decided their isn't any race! It doesn't help sitting in front of the pc like I do! A habit I got to slow down on and go sew something!

I am currently unemployed. It keeps me from stressing out, to sit and sew. I have several UFOs that I plan to tackle, when time permits. But I find that life happens. When my oldest child was in a car accident, I went to take care of her. When... well, you all know the drill. We take care of families when they have needs.

So I don'f finish a lot of quilts. I am currently finishing up a doll quilt for an exchange, and a block for another. But those are short term goals that don't require the time of a bed-size quilt.

Do what you can, and be happy with your efforts. That's what makes quilting fun. Don't stress about producing a lot! :D

I also work full time. I sign up for at least one class a week, September thru May. That way I know that I have at least three hours a week to sew.

I take the summers off from taking classes. As most of my time from May thru September is spent fishing, at least the weekends.

I do still try to find time to sew during the summer months tho. I have yet to take a block(s) to handsew to the marina but I have taken books/patterns, and left the marina for a few hours to hit one of the local quilt shops in that area.

I happen to love both hobbies very much and try to do what I can when I can. Warm and sunny weather, go fishing on the lake, cold and snowy weather, go fishing in the sewing room.

DeeDee

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    I sew when I should probably be cleaning! LOL
    Ditto!!! Well, I am also an empty nester, so no kids to take care of. I do work full time, but get home in 10 minutes, fix dinner, throw in a load of laundry, kiss honey, and then go into the sewing room. Sometimes he joins me (he is a quilter too), but often we sew at different times. He likes way different stuff than I do on the TV, so he watches what he wants or plays around on the internet. I try to quilt at least a couple of nights a weeek, and usually most of the day Saturday.

I steal from my sleep but don't get a moment to myself during the day. I make quilting a priority because without it, I'm unbearable. LMAO

I work 4 days but have little travel time so try to fit in at least 10/15 minutes before I leave in the morning. I didn't start quilting until my kids had left the nest so I can down tools and walk out of the sewing room (was DS's bedroom) without clearing up.

Before having kids I worked full time plus did everything else and after kids I worked part time and did everything else, cleaned house, prepared meals etc. etc. On our 25th Anniversary I told DH that I had cooked for the first 25 years, he could cook for the next 25. He is happy with this and it gives me some time after work for sewing.

I hand sew in the loungeroom with DH of an evening.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast