Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you find the time??? >

How do you find the time???

How do you find the time???

Old 01-19-2010, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

My kids have been gone for over 23 years, I didn't sew for a long stretch, but got back into it several years ago and helped with Grands. Now they are older and I try to get a quilt made once a month. Last year we had wooden floors put in I think I only made 6 or 8, I had to spend time emptying out rooms and putting stuff back. I have a small house and 4 cats, two poodles and a bird to take care of. I also work 10 hours a day. I quilt sometimes in the evenings for a couple of hours and usually always weekends while I do laundry and housework. My goal is to sew as many quilts as I possibly can. I plan to retire this summer and then I will get even more made. I quilt them myself too.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:31 AM

Yes, I used to have days where I'd wonder if I'd ever have time to do any sewing... I work full time, 10 hour days, during the racing season I train anywhere from 1 to 3 hours 5 days a week, have a Sweet Spouse that frankly, I'm kind of hyper attached to, and have one of the Grand Kids 3 times a week.
Here's how I do it.... I set a timer everyday for 20 mins. you'd be surprised how much you can accomplish in just 20 mins a day, and silly things like the cleaning always get put off, I use the 5.10.15 minute rule... If I can do it in 5.10.or 15 minutes, I do it, if not, it has to wait. I need me time
Old 01-19-2010, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by NauDeeGal
I also work full time. I sign up for at least one class a week, September thru May. That way I know that I have at least three hours a week to sew.

I take the summers off from taking classes. As most of my time from May thru September is spent fishing, at least the weekends.

I do still try to find time to sew during the summer months tho. I have yet to take a block(s) to handsew to the marina but I have taken books/patterns, and left the marina for a few hours to hit one of the local quilt shops in that area.

I happen to love both hobbies very much and try to do what I
can when I can. Warm and sunny weather, go fishing on the lake, cold and snowy weather, go fishing in the sewing room.

DeeDee
What kind of fishing do you do? I also love to fish. My husband and I go to the coast flounder fishing. We'll go out about 6 am and not come back to the campground until sunset. Whether the fish are biting or not, I find it very relaxing, and a great way to spend time with my DH.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:02 AM

I only started quilting after I retired so am lucky that I am able to fit everything else around what I like doing. I try to get anything else (i.e. shopping, only bare minimum essential house chores, meal prep) done in the morning.
Afternoons are quilting. Havent been able to sew evenings because of bad light, but have just got a Daylight lamp, soooo...
Old 01-19-2010, 06:29 AM

I have the same problem - not getting to my sewing machine and having time. I also work full-time, walk the dog, etc. Right now I am doing hand quilting: Grandmother's flower garden and I find it quite relaxing when watching TV. I am getting my fabric and "stuff" organized so I can eventually get to the sewing machine.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:50 AM

I work from home, so during naptime i sometimes cut or sew. I also quilt after the kids go to bed at night-sometimes it's not for very long though. You'd be amazed at 20 minutes at your machine here and there your projects start coming together. Most of my quilting marathons come on the weekends. I have a maid that comes in on the weekend so i only have to worry about doing the laundry!! Also, my sewing machine is always set up so whenever i have a few minutes to sew a seam or whatever i do it!! Every minute adds up to a beautiful quilt!!
Old 01-19-2010, 06:55 AM

I work part time (mornings)
I have an empty nest except critters.
DH likes to cook.
I prioritize---should clean house, mop floors, etc.
Usually I sew instead. I think that call that "Avoidance"??
DH is very supportive and likes to hear about what I am working on.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:09 AM

I don't work living on Guam...taxes are too much for us there, so it's better money wise for me to not work, but then again, I love to buy fabric lol
When I was working, I usually did some sewing after all chores were done, which didn't take long. Usually house was picked up daily and if it wasn't, oh well....it would be there later to do.
I found that my house didn't need to be neat as a pin, I wasn't trying to impress anyone and the cats sure didn't mind.
Now, when we move back to the states, I will have to redo my "schedule" so I can get my sewing done. But, hopefully I will be able to find a job, be it part time or full time. If I don't, wll......ROAD TRIPS!! lol
Old 01-19-2010, 07:28 AM

I am retired.
Could not find time when working 12 hours a day, so all ufo's waited till I retired.
Hubby's hobby is cooking.
Housework is minimal; so is keeping it spotless.
Laundry is done on schedule.
So, I now have time to quilt and love it.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:40 AM

tlrnhi-when are you moving back to the states? do you know where you'll be living when you come here(state)??? I'll go on some ROAD TRIPS with you!!!!