Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you find the time??? >

How do you find the time???

How do you find the time???

Old 01-18-2010, 05:09 PM

Now, we need to employ a scheduling GURU!!!
Old 01-18-2010, 05:21 PM

I worked for 30 years, retired for 1 1/2 years, then went back to work full time for the last 8 years. Hubby is retired and home during the day, he does the cleaning, laundry, and most of the cooking. When I get home in the evening, I could do what I want to do, but I don't have any energy left. I have always like to hand piece and hand quilt so I can work on hand work while we watch TV. I am fortunate to have a sewing room upstairs, so that is where I spend my time on the weekends. It is boring to have only one project going at a time anyway. Sometimes I go to my sewing room, look at patterns, play with my stash then do nothing with it. That counts as quilting doesn't it?
Old 01-18-2010, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by momto4
I sew while I should be cleaning as well lol. Seriously though, I am blessed to be a SAH mom and I sew while my kids are in school. I am also a part time student but I do most of my studying in the evening after the kids go to sleep. I dont make as many as say... Eddie who every time you blink has a new one. He is amazingly quick and super talented. :D
I think Eddie needs to come clean and admit that he has invented a wonder drug that allows him to survive without sleep. ;)

I work FT, and am very fortunate that DH is very supportive of my quilting. He does most of the laundry, takes his turn with cooking, etc. And cleaning? I am sure that is spelled incorrectly...isn't it a 4 letter word? hehehe I try to get to my sewing room whenever I can. We often do crockpot dinners on work days so no cooking time when we get home. Weekends will often allow me a little more time on Saturday, not so much on Sunday since church is in another town, which has larger stores that we don't have here, so any shopping/errands get done after church. It is often 3:00 or later by the time we get home. Bottom line for me is, this is my hobby, my relaxation, and I am worth having time for me....so I make whatever time I can.

Patti
Old 01-18-2010, 06:27 PM

Patti, you hit the nail on the head. This is a hobby and no one should feel "pushed" into doing more than they can handle. We put in whatever time we can, whether minutes or hours at a time. It doesn't matter if we finish one project a year or a 100 we are adding beauty to the world, getting satisfaction from our work and giving pleasure to those we are quilting for. What more could anyone ask of themselves or their hobby?
Old 01-18-2010, 07:45 PM

I asked myself that question too! I have finally concluded that each to their own, eveyone has a diffrent schedule and situation. I work 42 hours each week and drive time isn't included in that. My dh helps alot.a lot!!! Still not as much time as I like, so I take what I can! Do what I can! Enjoy what I do! I decided their isn't any race! It doesn't help sitting in front of the pc like I do! A habit I got to slow down on and go sew something!
Old 01-18-2010, 08:03 PM

I am currently unemployed. It keeps me from stressing out, to sit and sew. I have several UFOs that I plan to tackle, when time permits. But I find that life happens. When my oldest child was in a car accident, I went to take care of her. When... well, you all know the drill. We take care of families when they have needs.

So I don'f finish a lot of quilts. I am currently finishing up a doll quilt for an exchange, and a block for another. But those are short term goals that don't require the time of a bed-size quilt.

Do what you can, and be happy with your efforts. That's what makes quilting fun. Don't stress about producing a lot! :D
Old 01-18-2010, 08:59 PM

I also work full time. I sign up for at least one class a week, September thru May. That way I know that I have at least three hours a week to sew.

I take the summers off from taking classes. As most of my time from May thru September is spent fishing, at least the weekends.

I do still try to find time to sew during the summer months tho. I have yet to take a block(s) to handsew to the marina but I have taken books/patterns, and left the marina for a few hours to hit one of the local quilt shops in that area.

I happen to love both hobbies very much and try to do what I can when I can. Warm and sunny weather, go fishing on the lake, cold and snowy weather, go fishing in the sewing room.

DeeDee
Old 01-18-2010, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by katier825
I sew when I should probably be cleaning! LOL
Ditto!!! Well, I am also an empty nester, so no kids to take care of. I do work full time, but get home in 10 minutes, fix dinner, throw in a load of laundry, kiss honey, and then go into the sewing room. Sometimes he joins me (he is a quilter too), but often we sew at different times. He likes way different stuff than I do on the TV, so he watches what he wants or plays around on the internet. I try to quilt at least a couple of nights a weeek, and usually most of the day Saturday.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:25 PM

I steal from my sleep but don't get a moment to myself during the day. I make quilting a priority because without it, I'm unbearable. LMAO
Old 01-18-2010, 10:55 PM

I work 4 days but have little travel time so try to fit in at least 10/15 minutes before I leave in the morning. I didn't start quilting until my kids had left the nest so I can down tools and walk out of the sewing room (was DS's bedroom) without clearing up.

Before having kids I worked full time plus did everything else and after kids I worked part time and did everything else, cleaned house, prepared meals etc. etc. On our 25th Anniversary I told DH that I had cooked for the first 25 years, he could cook for the next 25. He is happy with this and it gives me some time after work for sewing.

I hand sew in the loungeroom with DH of an evening.