Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How do you finish sewing the binding on?

Check to make sure it is the length that it should be and sewn the way it should be.
    Attached Images Attached Images

trim your ends up and finger press the seam open

finger press open
    Name:  Attachment-41541.jpe
Views: 8
Size:  29.1 KB

trimmed ends
    Name:  Attachment-41542.jpe
Views: 10
Size:  24.2 KB

CB, I have tried and tried to do the binding this way. Had instructions all printed out that I was following and still couldn't do it -- I feel so stupid!! My problem is knowing where to join them so it comes out even....I just don't get it! :oops: :oops: :oops:

But your pictures make it look so easy so will print out your pictures to use next time :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

fold over and line up with the quilt and then sew in place. and you are ready to fold it over and stitch the other side down.

lined up
    Name:  Attachment-41543.jpe
Size:  39.6 KB

stitched in place
    Name:  Attachment-41544.jpe
Size:  36.2 KB

At that spot, swing the top piece down 90 degrees, and sew on the 45. (where the fabric edges meet in a corner)

sew where the corners meet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sometimes it is also easier to have someone there showing you in person, don't worry, a lot of people have issues with the binding. there are a lot of different ways, some days I still whimp out and sew it straight across and hope no one notices it.

Thanks CB!!! I've never actually seen it done in person. But your pictures make it look so easy -- if you hear me scream your name, you know it didn't work :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And THANKS for the BIG offer to help me further :!: :D :D

I will keep an ear open for your yell. It took once or twice for me to figure it out, I knew how in my mind, just hadn't done it. now it is a piece of cake. Good luck and hope to hear how it went no matter, good or bad.

You are welcome, I enjoy helping others, sometimes it give me a refresher on how I am doing things, I tend to have a lot of bad habits from my sewing.

You may or may not be able to tell, that is the back side of the quilt I was working on, I then turn it over and machine sew it down. I generally don't hand sew unless I have to.

Quote Originally Posted by cutebuns
    I will keep an ear open for your yell. It took once or twice for me to figure it out, I knew how in my mind, just hadn't done it. now it is a piece of cake. Good luck and hope to hear how it went no matter, good or bad.

You are welcome, I enjoy helping others, sometimes it give me a refresher on how I am doing things, I tend to have a lot of bad habits from my sewing.

You may or may not be able to tell, that is the back side of the quilt I was working on, I then turn it over and machine sew it down. I generally don't hand sew unless I have to.
    It means a lot to me that you're so willing (and able) to help. I'll let you know how it goes but won't be for a few days yet. Still have to do the machine quilting on a baby quilt and if THAT doesn't go well, will have to unsew and then hand quilt :roll:

Sounds like you just need to pack up and head here. You can toss the quilt on the big table and away you can go, then I can supervise as you put the binding on. Piece of cake!

yikes, I finally watched the videos that everyone had been talking about with glueing the binding, and if I ever do that to one of my quilts and take that long, kick me in the seat of the pants. I wouldn't be doing the binding if I had to do all of that. If I ever were to enter a quilt in a show, (never going to happen in the next 20 years) slight possibility. If I was doing one like Jacquemoe did on the curve I would put some thought into it, (then probably wing it anyway)

I am not trying to knock those that do it that way by no means, it just isn't for me. :shock:

That is how I make my binding match, but I never thought to leave the length. I always cut mine to fit (plus the width of the binding) prior to sewing the 45.

I would cut it except if you have it measured just off then you could be in trouble, I sew and verify it fits and then cut it off, that way if I have to adjust it if I had a brain fart when I did it (and I have, I even sewed the wrong angle one day) I just pull it out and redo it.

I used this video to help me:
    www.quiltwithus.connectingthreads.com
    Just click on the tab "learn" and scroll down to the video you want. The one on binding a quilt..
    Hope this helps,
    Kat

you are most Welcome!

I would cut it except if you have it measured just off then you could be in trouble, I sew and verify it fits and then cut it off, that way if I have to adjust it if I had a brain fart when I did it (and I have, I even sewed the wrong angle one day) I just pull it out and redo it.
    Really good idea! I was taught the other way, but I also have brain farts! lol

One day I did trim before checking and I had it wrong, we, it was well blessed before I got it fixed, I have had good luck lately doing them but my luck I would trim once again before checking to find out that I have some patching to do. The quilt has better ways of being blessed, ones that are not as hard on my nerves and pitching arm.

yikes, I finally watched the videos that everyone had been talking about with glueing the binding, and if I ever do that to one of my quilts and take that long, kick me in the seat of the pants. I wouldn't be doing the binding if I had to do all of that. If I ever were to enter a quilt in a show, (never going to happen in the next 20 years) slight possibility. If I was doing one like Jacquemoe did on the curve I would put some thought into it, (then probably wing it anyway)

I am not trying to knock those that do it that way by no means, it just isn't for me. :shock:
    I think I have to agree. I have not had a problem doing my bindings. maybe if I was going to enter it into a judged show.......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2