Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you fold your quilts? >
  • How do you fold your quilts?

• How do you fold your quilts?

Old 07-09-2012, 11:00 AM

I just fold them .. no special way other than avoiding folding in the same place everytime. I do refold or unfold my quilts frequently. Right now my spare bed has about 7 quilts all laid out flat.
    Old 07-09-2012, 02:40 PM

You will think I am crazy but I roll mine using pool "noodles"..really cheap this time of year..the I make a sleeve for them. Do my tablecloths the same way.
    Old 07-09-2012, 02:57 PM

I never heard of folding on bias. Sorry but I do not think I could do it if I wanted too... I do re-fold with different crease lines. I store my quilts in the closet with all my other blankets and sheets. I use my quilts but I have Grandma quilts in a glass case.

I wonder if she let's her kids sleep under quilts. I made my kids quilts for spreads and they still have them after 20 years of boys folding, dragging and craming quilts. Still look pretty good.
    Old 07-09-2012, 04:22 PM

I'm amazed that she was so uptight about the "correct" way to fold up a quilt but then had the gall to put it into a PLASTIC BAG!!!
    Old 07-09-2012, 05:33 PM
    Power Poster

I fold mine however and put into plastic bags. As long as they last as long as I do, okay with me.
    Old 07-09-2012, 07:16 PM

Too funny. It really didn't matter at the time. Heck she could have refolded more easily at home rather than take the time and space to fold them on the bias there ... at a picnic! At a picnic I would think getting them away from any food or hands with food would be the most important thing.

I agree she is now officially a member of the Quilt Police ... and most of them are rude.

I laughed because she used plastic bags.

However, that said I have been told for years now that folding on the bias does have less strain on the fibers. Since I don't have much room mine are folded in my display case ... on the bias. Oh to have the space for an extra bed to put them all on.

ali
    Old 07-10-2012, 05:12 AM

Very interesting. Good question mcwillia and good article dunster! Thanks for both.
    Old 07-10-2012, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by nygal
    I fold mine as gently as possible. I don't want any quilt police at my house for inspections.
    I agree NYGal. I have some very old ones that I have laid a cotton sheet on and then folded. I think the real issue is the plastic bag! Also, it's a pain, but unfolding them and laying them out on a bed every few months is a good habit to keep them from creasing.
    Old 07-10-2012, 06:24 PM

It's too bad that she had to be rude. That was her problem. Some days those people just happen along. Somehow we have to recognize that the whole situation wasn't your fault. You were trying to help.
    Old 07-10-2012, 06:59 PM

I read a handy hint.........I roll mine on a noodle that you would use in a swimming pool! Tie it with a piece of leftover fabric so it stays wrapped. Easy to store too, so far it has been no problem. My neighbor is a HUGE quilter, she stores hers on an extra bed upstairs stacked with a white sheet over the top of the stack so they don't fade. Only issue she has is when she has company and needs the bed-then she folds them for that time. Works for her.