Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you get oil out of quilt top? >

How do you get oil out of quilt top?

How do you get oil out of quilt top?

Old 06-27-2011, 05:59 AM

Dawn on a Q-tip works great. If you don't want to wash the quilt in the washing machine after you remove the stain, just use a damp rag to remove any Dawn that is left on the quilt. I have used Dawn several times and it has always worked for me. Just a dab should do it.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:02 AM

this sounds crazy but i use brake cleaner...yes car stuff. my son raced dirt bikes and he took a week long class when the instructer gary bailey got grease on his silk jacket he sprayed it w/brake cleaner....it disappeared
Old 06-27-2011, 06:18 AM

They still sell Lestoil!!?? That was a great product, but it's just not in our stores anymore.
Originally Posted by Sandee
I would try a product called LESTOIL. I use it on clothes around here when DH & DS are done working on their cars.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:31 AM

use talcum powder it should absorb it!
Old 06-27-2011, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I wonder if dawn dish soap would work. It's the one they use to get oil off wild animals that get spilled oil on them. Just a thought!
If you catch it soon, dawn works.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:55 AM

If you want to wash it Shout makes a grease stain remover in a aerosol can that really works great.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:56 AM

ok I had the carpets cleaned in my mom and dads home and one of the rooms had grease on a few spots... The tech had a can wrapped in silver duct tape, spraying on the spot and pulling it out with water... I asked what was in the can that was lifting it out so well.... reply was.... WD-40!!!! since then, I have a can handy just for the spot removing!!
I would suggest to put some on a q-tip first and spot clean it with a wet towel handy to get the water into it to lift it up!!! it sure worked for me!!! one of my sons always brought grease into the house and several times this has worked well....
Old 06-27-2011, 07:00 AM

So many good ideas, so here is mine. I had a can of engine degreaser around the house and used it on some clothes. Some had old stains on them and you would not believe how well it worked for me. One or two items had to be done twice, but well worth it to me. GOOD LUCK.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:00 AM

I've been reading on this board that cornstarch attracts bugs, so I wouldn't use it unless I knew the quilt owner was going to wash it after quilting. The "Tide To Go" stick works - even takes grease and sauce from barbequed ribs out.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:13 AM

Talcum powder is awesome, and is NOT just cornstarch, but is mainly the mineral talc. When we lived in Montana, we lived only a short way from the talc mines and used to haul out of the talc plant to many different areas, as it's used in many products, from baby powder, to paint, to chewing gum! I'm glad it worked!

I will definately try it the next time I get a grease spot on anything...I usually use shampoo...it's made to break down and wash away oils from your hair, and it's what I use to wash my brushes when I use oil paints!