Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you incorporate machine embroidery into your quilting projects? >

How do you incorporate machine embroidery into your quilting projects?

How do you incorporate machine embroidery into your quilting projects?

Old 09-09-2011, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by quiltlady1941
you will have a lot of fun with your new machine, you can use it for the quilting part of a quilt by using redwork designs or they have quilting designs that are really pretty.

Which machine did you get?

Just take it slow there is a lot to learn about these machines..

Here is a quilt that I made using my Hus machine
Hi,

Your quilts are lovely! :thumbup: What a wonderful way to showcase those cute embroidery designs. I've always admired redwork, but I haven't had the strength in my hands to do hand embroidery in the last several years. Now I know what I can do instead! :thumbup:

I got a gently used Bernette Deco 340. Designs can be easily transferred by USB stick. You can learn more about it and see it here:

http://www.berninausa.com/product_de...3-i28-sUS.html

Oh, don't worry... slow and steady as she goes. :lol: I'm a total newbie to these machines.

Thanks so much,
Old 09-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Banned

I've made a few baby quilts with embroidered Noah's Ark theme using Janome embroidery designs in the blocks.
There are some great websites that will give you some great inspiration. Embroidery Library (www.emblibrary.com) is a good one. I'm using some of their designs to help my step-daughter make some Christmas gifts. She'll be embroidering kitchen towels, baby bibs, and some embroidered coffee cup sleeves using designs and the tutorial from their site.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
Originally Posted by Up North
Each square was done separately the backing is a little larger and if you to to bayside quilting you can find a tute on the fun and done I sandwiched it and quilted through all three layers front, batting, and backing It was polished cotton, It did turn out quite pretty for a first try.
Thanks Donna, for taking the time to explain the method behind the construction of this lovely quilt. What about the block designs? Did you do those free motion quilting, or??

Thanks,
No I did not do these free motion they were freebies on found on the internet.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
Each square was done separately the backing is a little larger and if you to to bayside quilting you can find a tute on the fun and done I sandwiched it and quilted through all three layers front, batting, and backing It was polished cotton, It did turn out quite pretty for a first try.
Thanks Donna, for taking the time to explain the method behind the construction of this lovely quilt. What about the block designs? Did you do those free motion quilting, or??

Thanks,
No I did not do these free motion they were freebies on found on the internet.
My goodness, I had no idea such lovely freebies existed out there.

Thanks so much,
Old 09-09-2011, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by the casual quilter
I've made a few baby quilts with embroidered Noah's Ark theme using Janome embroidery designs in the blocks.
There are some great websites that will give you some great inspiration. Embroidery Library (www.emblibrary.com) is a good one. I'm using some of their designs to help my step-daughter make some Christmas gifts. She'll be embroidering kitchen towels, baby bibs, and some embroidered coffee cup sleeves using designs and the tutorial from their site.
I was fortunate to already come across the Embroidery Library site you mentioned above. I am very pleased with the quality of their two FREE monthly designs. I just got in on the August one and then it was September. :lol: I found several tutorials there too, but I didn't know there was a separate "Projects" section. Thanks so much for letting me know about this. I can tell I'm going to be there for a l o n g while. :thumbup:

Do you have any other specific sites to recommend? I can imagine you will be helping me as well as many others on our board, too.

Thanks so much for sharing your info with me/us. :thumbup: Have fun helping your daughter with all those Christmas presents.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:36 PM

This past June I got an embroidery machine for the first time. I have played with it and made a dozen different patterns at least. They are all done on muslin and I intend to take my practice pieces, add sashing and make them into an everyday quilt for my living room. They are not all perfect, but learning pieces. Hopefully I don't make all the same mistakes again!
Old 09-09-2011, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by GwynR
This past June I got an embroidery machine for the first time. I have played with it and made a dozen different patterns at least. They are all done on muslin and I intend to take my practice pieces, add sashing and make them into an everyday quilt for my living room. They are not all perfect, but learning pieces. Hopefully I don't make all the same mistakes again!
What a great idea! :thumbup: That way, you're getting the practice AND putting those pieces to use in a lovely way. I hope you'll share your quilt with us one of these days. I'd just LOVE to see it! :D

I stitched out my first practice piece today and forgot to make sure the needle was threaded and wondered why the machine just sat there with the word "Pause" on the screen. I think a picture soon followed, showing me the error of my ways. A machine that tells me when I goof - hey, that's great! :thumbup:
Old 09-09-2011, 09:45 PM

Here's one I did

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-105296-1.htm

I also have another on from Smith Street Designs called Grandeflora Rose that I am planning on making soon.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:02 AM

All of these pictures make me want to figure out my embroidery machine! Beautiful!
Old 09-10-2011, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

mostly, i use my emb machine for the labels. i hope to do some redwork soon