Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Do You Keep Your Ironing Board Fresh? >

How Do You Keep Your Ironing Board Fresh?

How Do You Keep Your Ironing Board Fresh?

Old 04-11-2015, 04:23 AM

I don't have this problem, but have you tried 0 (Zero) Odor? It has no fragrance or smell but when you mist it in the air it removes odors, not masking them like Febreeze or fresheners. It may help until you find the real source of your problem. I get it at Bed Bath & Beyond and use it for strong cooking odors. It works and doesn't bring any other smell into the mix. Just a thought.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:18 AM

You might want to try a MOSO Charcoal bag in your sewing room. Check it out online. The fabric bag contains charcoal, which absorbs both moisture and odors. You have to "recharge" the bag about once a month in sunlight for about an hour so it continues to be absorbent for about 2 years. Living on a island, we have alot -- ALOT -- of moisture in the air here, and there is no air conditioning or heating in homes here, so windows are left open day and night for ventilation.

The interior of closets would get this light yellow spotting -- the beginning of mildew -- starting on the ceiling of all places! I would have to use Clorox wipes to remove it, standing on a ladder and working above my head. A bathing suit, dried in the sun and then hung in the closet, would become damp overnight! No kidding. The bag absorbs all that. Have smaller ones under my sinks (another musty spot). Be sure to get a bigger bag if your room is large. Since the first of the month is "bill paying time" it's my time to bake the bags in the sun -- it doesn't need to be warm, just sunny for it to continue to work.
No, I dont' work for the company, but have found that it works for me! See www.mosonatural.com for info....
Old 04-11-2015, 10:46 AM

Good idea!

Originally Posted by sewvic View Post
Maybe drying it completely with a hair dryer would work.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:48 AM

I never thought of that! I just figured it was on the top cloth. When I took it off to clean the one underneath didn't have any odor. I cleaned it with baking soda, detergent and vinegar to make sure, let it dry and vacuumed it. I don't think there is a way to drill holes through the top but I'll take the whole works off and check. DH is on vacation this week, so he can help!

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
Sounds to me like you have a moisture problem with your ironing board, probably from spraying with water as you iron. You can even get moisture from starch, sizing, and even the vinegar. The best suggestion is to buy a couple boxes of baking soda and spread it evenly all over the board. Let it set for at least a couple days, and then vacuum the baking soda off. You can do this more than once if you need to. (In an pinch, , you can lay a sheet over the baking soda, and iron If you need to, while waiting for the soda to do its job) Any residue that may be left will continue to deodorize, but not stain your quilts. Baking soda will remove odor and moisture. If this doesn't work, you make have to pull the cover off and let it dry. When you put the cover back on, if there is a way, drill some holes through the top, to prevent moisture being held in the layers and turning funky smelling. This is why store-bought ironing boards are not solid, they always have breathing holes in them.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:58 AM

Thanks, I bought one. Shipping is free if anyone else wants to know the final cost. I also have two of these in my laundry room
[ATTACH=CONFIG]516560[/ATTACH]They are inexpensive and when they fill with water you toss them out. I have them in all my closets too. It is damp here in OR, but the windows are usually shut because of my allergies.

Originally Posted by Hulalulu View Post
You might want to try a MOSO Charcoal bag in your sewing room. Check it out online. The fabric bag contains charcoal, which absorbs both moisture and odors. You have to "recharge" the bag about once a month in sunlight for about an hour so it continues to be absorbent for about 2 years. Living on a island, we have alot -- ALOT -- of moisture in the air here, and there is no air conditioning or heating in homes here, so windows are left open day and night for ventilation.

The interior of closets would get this light yellow spotting -- the beginning of mildew -- starting on the ceiling of all places! I would have to use Clorox wipes to remove it, standing on a ladder and working above my head. A bathing suit, dried in the sun and then hung in the closet, would become damp overnight! No kidding. The bag absorbs all that. Have smaller ones under my sinks (another musty spot). Be sure to get a bigger bag if your room is large. Since the first of the month is "bill paying time" it's my time to bake the bags in the sun -- it doesn't need to be warm, just sunny for it to continue to work.
No, I dont' work for the company, but have found that it works for me! See www.mosonatural.com for info....
Attached Thumbnails 20150411_115140-1.jpg  
Old 04-12-2015, 08:58 AM

I just purchased some since I've found I can't wear Tide Sensitive washed clothes.

Originally Posted by Yooper32 View Post
Have you ever tried ALL Free and Clear? I have used it for quite a few yrs. now as I am very sensitive to "odors". I also live in a very humid climate and have never had a musty smell here in any of my laundry or clothing, or ironing board.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:59 AM

Maybe I should buy some vodka............. for the sewing room!
http://www.viralnova.com/clever-ways...ohol/?ns=31338
Old 04-18-2015, 09:58 AM

I bought the MOSO and it made a difference in one night! No musty smell in the sewing room when I go in there in the morning thanks for the suggestion! The ironing board is staying fresh too. I just set the bag on it at night.

Originally Posted by Hulalulu View Post