Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you know how much to charge someone to make a quilt? >

How do you know how much to charge someone to make a quilt?

How do you know how much to charge someone to make a quilt?

Old 05-12-2011, 11:54 AM

I've always told the person that the cost would be over $200. Nobody has expressed an interest beyond that.

People have no clue just what the cost of materials are for a quilt. They think in terms of the quilts at Sears that cost $50. Even my Mom can't seem to get in her head how much fabric costs. She still thinks in terms of $1.50 a yard (she hasn't sewn in 30 years). At $100, you are barely covering materials, assuming everything is clearanced priced!
Old 05-12-2011, 12:25 PM

In our area, the charge for long arm quilting is 1 to 1 1/2
cents per square inch for plain quilting. For more complicated -- up to 3 cents per square inch.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:49 PM

I have kept receipts for all purchased fabric and thread and the gas it took to go get it then charged 5 dollars an hour..cheap labour I know but it adds up since you also put in shopping and driving time..it all goes into making the quilt.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by AngieS
I have a lady that is wanting me to make her a full/queen or even a twin size quilt with Lady Bugs on it. I have the pattern but now, how do I go about telling her how much it will cost? I've never done this before.

Any help would be great.
I'm not sure how much you should charge but remember, if she wants another one you cannot easily go up in price. So I wouldn't charge less than I would charge to make another
Old 05-12-2011, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I know to charge a whole lot. That way they go away and leave me alone!!
That is a great response, just love it..
Go Girl.
R
Old 05-12-2011, 05:51 PM

There were some really great responses. Murphy you were so right on and ScrewyStewy also. I work for a Parkinsons clinic in WA state and one of the Doctors asked me to make a quilt for her son's new room. I told her that Materials plus time for stitch in the ditch if she wanted it professional quilted it would have to be shipped out to be done. I told her $10.00 hour labor with a minimum of 25 hours. I typed up a contract and had her sign it (with no problem) Don't forget to charge for your time to shop and prep.
Most people think you can throw them together and it won't cost much, but what I have done for simple patterns and SID I go on the web and find some of the amish quilts with simple blocks and put the link on the contract.....Usually the amish quilts are considerably upward priced.
hope this helps.............but before you start have them sign the contract and get a deposit. (Usually the price of the materials.)
Robert
Old 05-12-2011, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I know to charge a whole lot. That way they go away and leave me alone!!
Me, too! I ask A LOT, and if they're willing to pay it, I'm happy. If not, I'm happy, too, because I haven't spent hours making a quilt for someone to get a "deal". Which would make me UNHAPPY!! I HAVE made quilts for people I don't mind sewing for but said DO NOT tell anyone I do this for a living!!
Old 05-12-2011, 07:38 PM

I see a lot of 3 times the cost of materials posted.

A quilting friend did remind me that folks that buy their materials and bring them to you are apt to purchase cheaper low quality fabric and then expect you to charge 3 times the amount of $3.99/yard fabric. Something to be aware of.

I now consider fabric cost to be $10/yard when determining how much I will charge.

Happy Quilting!
Old 05-12-2011, 08:06 PM

Ditto to all of the above and be firm.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:14 PM

I haven't read(?) all the posted replies. But don't forget to add something($) for the water and electricity. Tinker