Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you know your bobbin is out of thread? >

How do you know your bobbin is out of thread?

How do you know your bobbin is out of thread?

Old 03-04-2010, 03:40 AM

My machines beep before it gets to the end.... except on my feather weight and I just keep a check on it... Or if you have a top load bobbin with the clear cover you can keep a good check on it...
Old 03-04-2010, 04:03 AM

I'm definitely going to become a better listener. Thank you all for your posts. It's nice to know that there are answers to my beginner questions.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:56 AM

My bobbin case has a see thru top on it and I am here to say it is handy.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:40 AM

When you sit down to your machine and before you stitch your first stitch, check your bobbin. If you have the slightest idea that it is getting low, either replenish or replace it. I speak from some very painful experiences, especially when I had been showing a non-sewer how skillful I was (NOT!).
Old 03-04-2010, 05:50 AM

Don't you just hate when that happens? I sew mostly with my Pfaff and a low bobbin warning pops up on the monitor. Only time it doesn' t do that is when I'm using prewound bobbins, think the cardboard bobbin isn't heavy enough to register. I have anaold Brother that I usually use at Pillowcase Sew Ins, no warning notice but when I use a metal bobbin I do hear it rattle a little close to the end. Problem is when I use a plastic bobbin it don't seem to do this and also this machine makes a bit more noise and I don't always hear it. May in Jersey
Old 03-04-2010, 05:59 AM

I am lucky enough to have an old machine phaff 7570 that causes a light to activate when the bobbin is nearing empty. Although I have another machine this one is my favorite for piecin, sewing. Anne ( bedkivers in Richmond,Va)
Old 03-04-2010, 07:13 AM

This is an old quilter's trick. As you wind your bobbin, stop after a few turns and mark your thread with a color marker for about 12 to 15". As you sew, you become aware that the bobbin might be getting low and when you see that colored thread, you know it. It has saved me much frustration especially when I'm sewing long SITD or assembly sewing. It's not rocket science but it works.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:32 AM

My Babylock machine starts beeping when the bobbin is still 1/3 full. Annoying but very helpful. When my Brother machine beeps, you better be ready to stop!
Old 03-04-2010, 07:38 AM

I've heard of people who use a bobbin on top too, one of them runs out a bit quicker, don't remember which but it's easier to glance at the top thread. I've been going to try it but never have, just keep cussin' when I sew a mile or two with no thread!
Old 03-04-2010, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Barb_MO
You can learn to hear the sound of your machine when it runs out of thread. On my commercial machine and the New Home, I can almost always tell when the bobbin thread is out with in just a few stitches.
Ditto. My machine sounds different when it's out of thread (or when something's wrong). So most of the time I can catch it in a few stitches