Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you lay out quilts? >

How do you lay out quilts?

How do you lay out quilts?

Old 01-03-2011, 09:23 AM

Not knowing just what I was doing, this is also what I did yesterday. I had to add some to the backing to make it big enough for the quilt, so did a decorative touch, wanting it to be the top. I then found the center of each piece and marked it with a big safety pin. Then I sewed the sandwich together, just the top. I put down a board and pinned. I was off a little but got half of it pinned. Now, am just going to sit in front of the TV in my lounge chair and tie. Then I'll pin the last half. I worked on the blasted thing 10 hours yesterday. What a learning curve.

Rita
Old 01-03-2011, 11:13 AM

Me too, I have 4 6ft tables. I have to put them up on the patio and only use ousid when weather is good.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:24 PM

I got 2 six foot folding tables and set them up next to each other in my basement. When not using I cover with an old sheet to keep the dust off. They work great and can be used for other stuff as needed. Great for cutting too, just get one of the really large cutting mats that can be rolled up and stored when not needed.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:21 PM

Since you mentioned Joanne's. I was in the one in Savannah Ga. today and it's all organized and so neat. I never thought I would see it like that. I could have spent the whole day there.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:58 PM

Hello Mary, Why couldn't you base using the same method my grandmother did in tack yarning a quilt. Use two by two's (4) and (4) clamps. (4) chairs EVEN folding chairs. Place towels over chair backs. then two by two's and clamp all 4 ends. Come back with quilt back, TACK, lay batting then quilt top. Bottom is taunt. Instead of yarning quilt pin it or base it, ROLL as you go. LEAVE tacks in all the way around till finished. gets you off the floor. :)
Old 01-03-2011, 05:47 PM

on the table from Jo-Anns--the current model may have better support than the older model, but I call my table the "killer table" because the leg underneath is easy to push and the table collapses. The momentum generated when this happens is enough to rip the center top off its base. Watch out!
Old 01-03-2011, 06:05 PM

Just like Deliliah; I too, spray baste. It's wonderful. No more wrinkles, puckers or creases. And my fingers were constantly getting stuck from the basting pins. I can no longer get on the floor on my knees because of arthritis, so I have a good size table that I use. When you spray baste, you can do it in sections which makes it alot less complicated.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:07 PM

My DH screwed binder clips every 6" to 1 x 2" strips of wood and attached the strips to the wall just below the ceiling (I have only made king size quilts) and I first clip my backing, then clip my batting with backing then pin baste. Works very well for me. I do have to use a step stool to reach the very top. Good luck and happy quilting.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Roxanne
I use my design wall which is two 4x8 sheets of insulation bought at Lowe's. and I use spray basting---no more pins for me! Both ideas were from members of this board.

It works great. Pin the backing up, spray; add the batting and spray again; then add the top. Smooth everything as you go along.

Roxanne
I'm with you Roxanne. I have two 4x8 sheets of insulation attached to my basement wall. It's so easy to just pin the backing to the wall, then use spray basting to adhere the batting, smooth it out with your hands from the center to all the edges, then spray again and attach the top. No folding, rolling, pinning, crawling on the floor, bending over a table, etc. You can easily see where there might be a wrinkle, so you can smooth it out, and it really is very quick too!
Old 01-03-2011, 08:16 PM
mim

many years ago I joined my first quilt guild -- we all helped each other pin/baste our quilts. There were long tables that we pushed together. Now a group of snowbirds are gathering each week for the same reason.