Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you lay out quilts?

Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    OK, here goes, this works for me. Even though my dining room table is not always large enough, I work from the center out when pining or basting. Once the center is stabilized I pull it whatever direction I need to go to finish the sides, top and bottom. Remember to put something on the table to protect it from pins and needles.
    Same just a table and work out

I go down to the library and use their auditorium. Just have to call ahead to see if it is booked for the day. Its free to use the room. Large tables sure make it easy to pin baste the quilts.
    In summer time, I have 4 saw horses and lay a sheet of plywood on top, then do spray basting on it. Do this on a day there is no wind as I set it up in the back yard. I don't spray baste at the library because I am afraid it will over spray and get on the table or floor.

MarySews,
    I do understand. Even though I am not quite 50, I cannot crawl around on the floor-surgeries on feet and ankles. So, what I recommend is what you are doing now, with a twist.

What I do is slide the board under-then use clamps (you can get them from any hardware or walmart) with the rubber ends-three sides to get some tension. Then start basting.

Hope this helps.

We live in a motorhome FT. Barely room for sewing machine. I use the big tables in the community center to sandwich my quilts.

Blog Entries
    I just read that someone uses a clothes line...this is a wonderful idea. I will try that next time...and do it outside. Now I just need a clothes line...project for the hubby....

I use a double bed, too. It works for me although I do have to take breaks now and then to ease my back. A friend uses a folding table but she puts the legs into risers that she had specially built so that the table is at a height that doesn't strain her back when pinning.

OK, here goes, this works for me. Even though my dining room table is not always large enough, I work from the center out when pining or basting. Once the center is stabilized I pull it whatever direction I need to go to finish the sides, top and bottom. Remember to put something on the table to protect it from pins and needles.
    I use the kitchen table also. I tape a toothpick down as a reference point for top center, middle, side center etc. with reference points made on the quilt,backing and batting. A fold lengthwise and crosswise is usually good enough. I think the weight of the quilt, batting and backing hanging off the table helps keep everything squared away. I pin starting from the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA
    This might be of interest.:)
    I am also a Sharon Schamber fan...

I have a small table that is sitting on a wooden box to make it the right height. I start in the middle and move as necessary.

I use my design wall which is two 4x8 sheets of insulation bought at Lowe's. and I use spray basting---no more pins for me! Both ideas were from members of this board.

It works great. Pin the backing up, spray; add the batting and spray again; then add the top. Smooth everything as you go along.

Roxanne

I havent tried it yet but I was going to suggest the tables put together too. I have the tables and will hopefully try it soon.
    Judy

Our LQS had a good setup for putting your quilt back, batt and top together. She had 4 1x2's that she wrapped with a long piece of fabric (I think there was batting underneith). She clamped the corners together to form a square and put the corners on the backs of 4 chairs. It looked like a huge square hoop at waist level. Then you could pin the backing on one side, go to the other side and pin that side. Then you'd do the same on the remaining 2 sides. Once you had the backing stretched you added the batting.... then the top. Once it felt right you would tack the three layers together with safety pins or a gun that put in plastic tacks.

It worked great. I don't know if there are any videos out there like it but I would call to reserve the frame boards and go lay out my quilt when I needed to sandwich it together. Finally, I made a set for myself.... pretty cheap... 4 boards, 4 clamps! I already had the chairs and safely pins.

Now I have a quilting frame set up in my basement..... love it!

I do the same thing, but I use a large foldable table. I lay the quilt centered on the table, tape down and pin, then untape, move the quilt to one side or the other, retape, then pin that section. It works for me and saves my knees. Couldn't get down on the floor with my knees.

Blog Entries
    There use to be a basting frame sold in catalogs. I haven't seen one listed for years though.

Blog Entries
    I used to use the floor too, but at 67 and after having had 5 back surgeries, I can not do that without a lot of pain. I either use the church tables or I pin it to the top of my queen size bed . My bed is tall and the matress is in a waterbed frame so it is tall.

My local library has 2 rooms for meetings. They have lots of 18 inch x4 foot tables .I move enough tables together to fit my quilt on it. clamp the edges of the quilt to the table and safety pin the layers together. I have to stretch to reach the middle sometimes. this is a lot easier than crawling around on the floor. the room is free for non profit use. I don't sell my quilts. other possibilities any place with meeting rooms. Churches Quilt stores , other meeting halls. diane c.

Moved from New Orleans to Port Neches, TX June 2014
    Blog Entries
    I have used Sharon's method on my last 3 quits (1 king and 2 queens) and I wouldn't do it any other way!! I never have any problems with the back as I quilt, since you only cut the basting thread in the area that you need to quilt at the moment.
    It works :thumbup: Everyone should try it at least once!

Donna, I like your quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ally
    Donna, I like your quilt.
    If you mean me thank you, That is one I sold. I loved it when it was done.

Blog Entries
    How do match up the corners?

Banned
    Thbis subject was discussed a few weeks ago. Search for the subject and you will have lots of answers. I wrote that I paste a king size on a card table. The one posting the question said she had no space to baste, so I thought this might be a solution. As I recall an answer came b ack that the quilter would never use a card table or some such answer. So........everybody does it different depending on their space circumstances.

Blog Entries
    I use my tall king size bed. After a few pins to secure it, I sit next to it and roll as I pin closely. I cannot do floors, either. I still get wrinkles, so am still working on the problem. Open to new ideas....

Blog Entries
    I used to sometimes go to a conference room at my work in the evening and use the big tables. I went with a quilt friend and we pinned a few quilts in an evening. Maybe a local church or community center would allow this for those that have no home space.

Ping Pong table. I use it for everything else too. I have four cutting mats set up, one at each corner of the table. It takes up the whole room, but it's a great place to work. If I want to make a quilt sandwich, I clear off the table, and voila! It sure saves my back. I had some clear plastic sheets cut to fit it to protect its surface from pins and sharp scissors. I slip patterns and instructions under those so they don't get lost and I can read them right through the plastic.

If you have the space you can set up a 6' folding table (or two of them next to each other) and put a gallon can under each leg (like a large juice or vegetable can) and this will lift the table up so that you don't have to bend over. You can also go to your favorite hardware store and buy the appropriate size plumbing pipes -the white plastic ones (one for each leg) and have it cut to the size you need to lift the table to a comfortable height. Hope this helps.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast