Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you lay out quilts? >

How do you lay out quilts?

How do you lay out quilts?

Old 01-02-2011, 02:37 PM

What an AWESOME idea. Definitely plan on using this for my next quilt. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:50 PM

I have a friend who recently took a beginning quilting class amd she shared with me how they sandwiched and basted. I tried this on my kitchen table and followed her directions. I was skeptical at first because I hate when there are pleats in the back but I was sick of crawling on my knees- taping down the back and then crawling some more to get the pins in, etc. Lay down the backing fabric, (right side down), smooth it out and then layer your batting on top of that, smooth it out by hand, then lay down your quilt top. Again, smooth it by hand. Your quilt sandwich will be hanging over sides of the table but don't worry about that now. Then you need a partner- my DH has helped me out. You and your quilting helper stand on opposite sides of the table holding on to the backing fabric only and pull. Repeat from other direction. I safety pin whatever is on the top of the table. Move sides of quilt to top of table and repeat with pulling. Pin as you complete each side. I have FMQ several quilts pinned this way- the fabric lays beautifully and no puckers and pleats on the back side. Best of all- no more sore knees!!!!
Old 01-02-2011, 02:51 PM

Hi: I am just new to this but I had my husband put up two 4x8 sheets of foam on my basement wall and I just use straight pins and in my blocks and sashings and borders. I can see what it is going to look like better that way. Don't have to get down on the floor or bend over for long times. I do the same for sandwiching. but I machine quilt to I don't have to worry about that.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:57 PM

I generally use clotheslines. Allow for generous extensions of the backing fabric all around the pieced section. Spread an old sheet under the lines used for pinning. Along the length baste and pin the lining and the batting onto the pieced top, for 12 or more inches toward the center of the quilt. Clothespin the quilt along that length (on the second or inside line) overlapping this edge on the line whatever it takes to keep quilt off the ground or controlled on the sheet. You will need to be able to get behind it, so pin this tail end out of the way on another line temporarily. Pin 3-6 weighted (metal washers from a tool box) tapes across then readjust the holding clothespins until these tapes align with the designs or blocks within the quilt. (The uneven amount of quilt "tail" and the sag of the wire line will not now matter). Pin starting at the center marker, down about one-third, or as far as you can comfortably continue pinning, then go to the left and to the right to continue rather closely, every 3 inches or so. Check the back lining very frequently, to assure evenness and possible repinning. Take off all holding clothespins from the line, reposition the entire quilt, again putting any "tail" out of the way, and continue pinning to the left and right of the center column of pins toward the other length edge. (I do not close the pins until I am assured that each column is done, then hope for help in closing each pin) You may need to do this repositioning two or three times. Gradually, you will have all the close pinning in columns toward the outside edges. Remove entire quilt when you think you can complete these outer edges (both in the length and in the width) over a table in your house. I have even made tailoring basting stitches along side the pins, but do not remove pins before bringing the quilt inside. This takes at least two hours for a bed sized quilt, but I find I cannot comfortably do the layering and pinning on the floor any more. The first time I saw any instructions, years ago, for this was from Quilters' Newletter, article by the late Bonnie Lehman. I have no doubt adjusted and modified those instructions. Frankly, I have not found pins to take the place of, or eliminate the need for, basting before putting a bed sized quilt into the frame for hand quilting.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lucymae
I use my tall king size bed. After a few pins to secure it, I sit next to it and roll as I pin closely. I cannot do floors, either. I still get wrinkles, so am still working on the problem. Open to new ideas....
I use my king size bed, also. However, I spray baste. I only had to spray baste one time and was a hard and fast believer. No more puckers, wrinkles, or pleats. Just nice smooth layers! Last quilt was 108x120 and was COMPLETELY basted in 45 minutes, and that was doing it all by myself. Am almost through quilting it so should have picture to share within a week.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA
This might be of interest.:)
This is the method that I use when it is bigger than a baby quilt.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:46 PM

I use the floor and those gardening knee cushions you strap around your knees - Find they are a big help
Old 01-02-2011, 04:50 PM

I bought a sixft long by three feet wide table just for that job. I have a smaller folding table that I place next to it and acn use my ironing board for a bit more room. I also have a folding seamstress cutting board that helps and most baby quilts I do on my bed.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:17 PM
bjr

Some nice thick knee pads make floor layout easier.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by MarySews
When I was 30 and putting the 'sandwich' together, I sat on the floor, taped the backing down, laid out the batting and then the top and then I basted all while on my hamds and knees. Well, now, almost 40 years later, I do not sit on the floor for much -- my knees are not what they were and my dining table is not large enough. I have been know to use the tables at the church hall and to beg help from friends with more table room than I, but that is not always convenient.
Yesterday I laid a twin size quilt across our bed (a double), slid a smooth piece of wood under it and basted -- OK, but not ideal. Others must be in this position -- any ideas?

Mary
I, also, use our bed, queen size; slide a smooth piece of wood or plastic depending what my husband is not using and baste it. Works better for me...I am 61 with arthritis so my knees cannot handle the floor anymore.