Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you make a beautiful quilt? >

How do you make a beautiful quilt?

How do you make a beautiful quilt?

Old 08-24-2011, 04:46 AM

I believe color choice is everything. Pay attention to value change, a quilt must have light, medium & dark to be effective.

I was taught over 45 years ago, before all the fancy gadgets and fabrics were not out there.

Simply learn the color wheel and it's principles. There is alot of info on the web about color theory.

here is a link to a good explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_theory

I first select my theme fabric, from there I select 2 colors, and working the value scale, find colors that will work. Background colors of white, neutral or black do not count as colors, they are the canvas that you work from.

I have always found this method the easiest, as the fabric designer has already done the hard work. They have created the color pallet.

If I am not sure of a color and if it will work, I make a sample block, and use mirrors to multiply it and see if the effect I am looking for is there. At this point if I don't like it, I've only wasted a small amount of time & fabric.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:36 AM

It might be crazy but I scan the fabrics that I want to use in a quilt and then print of the picture of the fabrics I want to use and cut the paper into the desired blocks. That way I am not wasting the fabric on a sample block.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:08 AM

In my opinion, I think all quilts are beautiful. :D
Old 08-24-2011, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
Go to some quilt shows ... see what attracts you to certain quilts. I know attending a few national shows really shoved me into be more adventuresome with colors... that was the one thing I walked away from every show ... the colors were just so fabulous. So every time I found myself navigating back to my comfort zone... I had to make a very conscience effort to go against my norm.
If you examine what captures you about a certain quilt(s) you will know what you want to work on to improve.
I agree with this advise. Examine, also, the quilts that are just so, so, what makes them (to you) not as attractive as others. You will learn a lot about what you really like in a quilt.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:12 AM

In most of the quilts that I really like, there is one 'pa-dow' fabric. The one that says 'look at me!' When you find that one fabric that you absolutely love, work off that and coordinate your other fabrics to that.

It would be nice if you appreciate your own work. That may come with time. There are some quilts that I've made that I'm not quite fond of. But then again, once given, I usually don't lay my eyes on them much. If the recipient enjoys your quilts, that's good too!
Old 08-24-2011, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

Pick out beautiful fabrics and a good pattern and just make it. If you like everything you picked out it will be beautiful. This is the only secret I know.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:01 AM

I believe all quilts are beautiful-it doesn't matter about fabric, design or how you stitch it. It comes from the heart and it is an art from each individual. So keep quilting they are all beautiful.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:27 AM

Have you tried going through the pictures you love and writing down what you like about them? This may give you a clue as to what you need to do to yours. For instance, I really like a narrow (1/2") border around the center blocks of a quilt. I like black or a high contrast color for this border. It may be that you are drawn to particular color combinations, or maybe you have been piecing and you really admire applique.

If it is your workmanship, the the solution is simple...practice, practice, practice.

I would like to seem some samples of your quilts also. Maybe you are being too hard on yourself.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:53 AM

Use the colors and fabrics suggested in a pattern in a book and go with them. If you like the one pictured there is no reason yours shouldn't look the same. Some have more artistic talents in choosing colors and texture, the rest of us do our best and I have never seen a quilt I didn't like. Just like Will Roger said, he never met a man he didn't like.
You have to start liking your own work and not being critical. None of us is perfect.

Carol J.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:12 AM

I was quite hard on myself, when I see some beautiful quilts. I make quilts to be used. They are filled with love. I get a little better and challenge myself a little bit more. I don't worry that others are more beautiful then mine. I am not in a competion. I am me, I make what my capabilites alow me..those that recieve a quilt from me love it