Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you make time to quilt? >

How do you make time to quilt?

How do you make time to quilt?

Old 04-19-2010, 06:05 AM

My house suffers greatly. But the great thing is that it will still be there waiting for me when I finish quilting.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Pamela Artman
I have the time because I'm retired, but finding the motivation is sometimes difficult. Like this morning, I thought I'll sit down and sew for a couple hours before I go to my sewing group at 10... then I sat down and picked up my laptop and turned on a movie (While you were sleeping) that I taped and here I sit!! LOL The urge to sew can be really strong at times and not so much at other times. When it's strong, I can really accomplish a lot. But then it seems I get burned out and am just not in the mood to sew. I've had a quilt top finished for weeks now that I need to get pinned so I can start quilting it, but I just haven't had the gumption to find a back and get it done! Does this happen to anyone else???
I have it sometimes but ........
It's not "burn out", that's what regular people have. We Quiltologists have "Creativity Exhaustion." That's when our bodies and minds have gone at full speed for so long that we've depleted our creative energy and have to step back for awhile to regenerate.
:lol: :thumbup: :lol:
Old 04-19-2010, 06:09 AM

My husband works 4-midnight (gets home about 1) so once the kids are all fast asleep in their nice warm beds I hit the sewing machine. I normally sew until he gets home and then watch tv for a few and then head to bed. Get up at 6am and start my day, once the kids are in bed(eightish) sewing resumes!

For the next couple of weeks I am going to be lost. We are (FINALLY) closing on our house Wednesday so my machines have to be boxed up along with all my fabric and projects and moved to the new house. I won't get any sewing done in the next couple of weeks :( but as soon as the last box is unpacked and he goes back to work I know where I will be!
Old 04-19-2010, 07:26 AM

Finding time to quilt is easy - it's finding time to do housework and other things that's hard. Every day I get up saying I'm not going into the sewing room until I do such and such, but such and such more often than not doesn't get done. I always figure it will still be there to get done some other day. Unfortunately, I don't have a good fairy to do it. Although I do have a great DH - he does all the cooking and grocery shopping, so at least we don't starve.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:29 AM

I've been retired for 5 years and am just now getting into quilting...as others have said making time for everything else is the difficult part.

I fall back on some of those skills I developed while in the work force...organizing my time.

I also have found lots of shortcuts to everything else that needs doing!
Old 04-19-2010, 07:32 AM

I will blatently ignore other chores/responsibilities.

Otherwise I'd never make it to the sewing room!
Old 04-19-2010, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

I only work three days a week ( 12 hour days ) so I get four days off. At least two of those are for quilting. Weekends and evenings are out because I pick up DGD at school and we are busy and she is home all weekend. So it's always two days during the week. And just til she gets home.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:48 AM

Since I work full time, I usually try to get in an hour between coming home and starting dinner. That is only on the nights I don't have to stop at the grocery store, dry cleaner, or other errands. At least once a month on Saturday or Sunday I usually take a day off from life and spend the whole day in the sewing room (referred to as the black hole by my family). I do lots of cutting then so the hour here and there can be spent sewing.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:52 AM

I've been on hiatus because my little guy was ready to go to bed when I was ready to quilt, but now that he's older I'm itching to get back to it. Just waiting on a frame and watch me goooooooooo!
Old 04-19-2010, 08:45 AM

I work full-time so my quilting time comes in around 8:00 at night after dinner and dishes. I can usually sew right up to 11:00-12:00 at night now, because my DH is sitting in front of the TV watching his favorite major league baseball team. Winter when there is no baseball is usually when DH whines for attention.